Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Screen refresh problem

Today I've noticed a problem getting pages to finish loading in a normal length of time. Such as when I was starting this new post, the banner at the top came up quickly, the area that has "User CP", "Clubs", "Vendors", etc loaded normally, the "Post New Thread" text area was there, but then it stuck for 20-30 seconds saying, "Waiting for a.oogala.com...". Then it finished loading the screen.

I use Ubuntu OS and FireFox. Normally no issues, and other sites work fine.

Anyone else?
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I haven't had it today but have had exactly the same a few times over the last two weeks.
I run Windows 7 and use Chrome with AdBlock enabled and AVG scanning web content, so just assumed it was an issue with a pop-up not loading/waiting for an automated response but being blocked.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
PaulnGina, I have been having the same problem while using Google Chrome. I agree; I think it's the pop-up ads.

Hope the Webmaster figures out what the problems is, as this is really annoying...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
My home network router is a Netgear. They provide a Parental Control feature where you can specify what sites you want to block. I have added a bunch of these unwanted advertising sites because they are slow to load or because I don't want them tracking me. When they are blocked you get a message where that ad would normally appear saying it was blocked by OpenDNS. (That's the parental control.)

The only drawback I've found is when going to search engines like Google you sometimes get a message stating that GoogleAdServices are blocked and they won't let you follow the link to the site listed in your search results. Then you just copy and paste the link to get there.

This has resolved some of the loading issues, like the one you are asking about. Web page content comes from many different sources. Each picture, box or other content "lives" somewhere. If it's at the site you are visiting (like Airforums) the response is usually fast. If it's not, the page has to go to that other site to resolve the link. If that other site is slow, so is your page. Some pages are written to display information as it is resolved, some are written to wait until all of the content is available before displaying anything.

In any event, if your page is waiting on external content (like a.oogala.com) then there may not be much the Airforums webmaster can do about it. It depends on how the page was coded, how they reference that content, how your internet connection references that content and other things.

Like Phoenix says, try setting Firefox/Chrome to disable the pop-ups, that may help. If you know how to use the router software you can probably set up IP address/site blocking to prevent the web page from going to a specific external web site.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Thanks, Rich. I had some time to look at this last night. I have AdBlock Plus and another ad-on that seems to have taken care of it. Much better now. In the process, I lost the banner picture of the line of AS's, but it's lots better now. I'll also look in to our wireless router settings. I might be able to filter stuff there, as you suggest.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I had a pop up of death before I down loaded Chrome to upgrade my windows 7. Thanks to the advice of this forum. Sometimes this happens to me like the page gets stuck loading after the advertising. I just hit refresh and whaalaa. This happens once in a blue moon.'' I bet you haven't heard that phrase in a while''. Good luck
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote