Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #21
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post

Once I had a Royal Canadian Marine stationed with the peace keeping force in Syria offer to be my business partner!! Wow couldn't believe my good fortune!!

Scum of the earth all of them.
No such thing as a Royal Canadian Marine.

cheers Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheribaby View Post
He just did it to me. Same guy. So mad that I nearly fell for it.
Please report this to a moderator so that we can take appropriate action.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Portland , Oregon
We got that Sgt Duane call too. He insisted he buy our Airstream off PayPal. His English was poor like he wasn’t from the US. His number was 213 921 7773, so ignore his texts.
Orbsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The scams here seem to run in cycles but always with a variation of the same theme.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I've been procrastinating doing a CL add for a trailer for just those reasons. So many scammers to wade thru and what ifs.

I put a disclaimer on the bottom of the add saying scammers need not reply. Not sure if it worked but no scammer replied yet.

These days it's so hard to tell who is legit and it seems the scammers on Airforums have increased.

We just need to keep sharing information so that we'll all be the wiser.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Tucson , Arizona
Pay Pal full price offers

My AS post was only few hours old when 4 responses came in, one via phone call...legit!, the other 3 (texts) went from asking so called valid questions to full price offers sight unseen, of course they were asking for my pay pal information, as polite as possible I told them that my preference was a face to face and thru a bank transaction...never heard from them! ALSO....at the same time our post disappeared from the Airstream Classifieds...coincidence? can a scammer report your ad just to be mean? What can I do to repost?
Marciala Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I deal with Mining and Geology books on an International Book Site. You do learn quickly when an order is suspicious. Especially when the address puts the residence under a highway in Honolulu, Hawaii. Or a parking lot in Brussels, Belgium.

Do your homework. I only respond to telephone calls on inquiries on LOCAL listings. The majority of Scammers use Email, their English is poor in many cases and what they are interested in is a noun... not what you have to sell.

"I want your item for full price. Give me your address for Certified Check."

Fed Ex envelope with a check for $2,450 off a Craigslist listing. Mining Books, for an Orphanage in Florida. But, the amount was more than the Books, so if I would send the difference to them, they will have someone pickup the books after 'certified check' is deposited and, of course, you have sent your personal check refund.

They will call every day for a couple weeks looking for their check. I did not answer. The local Police could do nothing. This scam was a bit more organized with three people at different locations in the USA.

..."if you are a serious seller, looking forward to your quickly response asap."

Telephone communication is best. Local buyers must come to YOUR Bank and get a Cashier's Check, while you watch.

These people work on the idea you want to SELL NOW and also need the money.

Check names, telephone numbers, call the Bank the check is written, etc..

I will give you a good deal on this check. When someone wants to send me a check... I ask for a United States Postal Money Order. The Post Office will get interested... if you go to your Post Office and verify it is authentic.

My last scam was a 10 pound Book on the Geology of Indiana. It was to go to Istanbul, Turkey. It was $18. Shipping would have exceeded the $40 minimum and just that amount, after the listing fee and shipping amount ($7.56), deduct $8 off of the book price. Now I am at $8 for the book. (There was another copy for $8 that was almost as nice in Indiana.)

They will then say the book is damaged and want a refund and I would have to pay shipping back for... lets say $60. I would then just give them the book and they get THEIR shipping returned, $40 at least. So I am out the book and the $40 shipping.

Real sweet... but common sense always wins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	321868  
Old 09-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciala Rey View Post
My AS post was only few hours old when 4 responses came in, one via phone call...legit!, the other 3 (texts) went from asking so called valid questions to full price offers sight unseen, of course they were asking for my pay pal information, as polite as possible I told them that my preference was a face to face and thru a bank transaction...never heard from them! ALSO....at the same time our post disappeared from the Airstream Classifieds...coincidence? can a scammer report your ad just to be mean? What can I do to repost?
I'm not sure what you were seeing at the time you posted this, but your ad has not been removed. Maybe it rolled off the page of newest ads? If you look at ads for AZ or search for 25' trailers or whatever, it's there... or you have to page through the list of ads, etc.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
My last scam was a 10 pound Book on the Geology of Indiana. It was to go to Istanbul, Turkey. It was $18. Shipping would have exceeded the $40 minimum and just that amount, after the listing fee and shipping amount ($7.56), deduct $8 off of the book price. Now I am at $8 for the book. (There was another copy for $8 that was almost as nice in Indiana.)
Hi

There *is* a ten pound book on the Geology of Indiana? Wow ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
Just a heads-up that Sgt. Duane is now Duane E. Johnson and still trying to scam sellers on the Airforums Classifieds. He contacted me this morning about my 2018 Classic and when he asked to use Paypal even though my ad specifically says no cash and cashier's check only will be accepted, warning antennae immediately started twitching. So glad you guys posted here making for a quick and informed fly away.

THANK YOU!
Octarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
Just a heads-up that Sgt. Duane is now Duane E. Johnson and still trying to scam sellers on the Airforums Classifieds. He contacted me this morning about my 2018 Classic and when he asked to use Paypal even though my ad specifically says no cash and cashier's check only will be accepted, warning antennae immediately started twitching. So glad you guys posted here making for a quick and informed fly away.

THANK YOU!
Duane Johnson, eh? I'm sure the real Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) would not be pleased some scammer is playing off his name...

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
League City , Texas
DUANE JOSHUA or Joshua Duane is contacting me wanting to purchase my AS sight unseen at full price. And he wants to do by PayPal. I am thinking about setting up my PayPal account to accept and see where it goes. Seems like a scam to me though. What do you guys think?
Steve
Surfairstrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #33

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Yes, this has many hallmarks of a scam. Generally they either want to get your Paypal account information for hacking or it'll be some sort of advance payment scam. No one is likely to be dumb enough to pay full price sight unseen. If their initial contact to you was via email from the contact seller dialogue on your ad, please forward that message to classifieds@airforums.com so we can identify and suspend their account.

(UPDATE: It seems you've already done this, as I see when I check the email queue. I'd just block them and move on now.)

Old 08-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #34

2017 30' Classic
California , Maryland
Posted my 2017 Classic 30 in April on the Classified. Heard from Duane Jashua01 right away. Ignored that one. Then I heard from POP RV offering to sell it for me for a 10% commission if they find a buyer. Then I got a call from a guy in MI wanting to trade for a piece of property in Traverse City. Good times!
CanTiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
BARTOW , Florida
PayPal and Walmart Scam

When I first listed my AS Classic back in April, I received a text saying they wanted to buy it, and for me to open an email they were sending with a link to PayPal. The link looked fishy, and it had a flashing message saying I was 75% through with the transaction--all I had to do was agree to paying for the shipping which was over $1800, and the balance of $49000 would be paid to my PayPal account. They said Walmart would pick up the AS as soon as I clicked the buy button. I called PayPal and they said there was no such transaction.

This morning I received a text from frankenduane208@gmail.com saying "I will like to know if there is any problem with it and why are you selling it"... I think this guy contacted me before. The grammatical errors are a red flag!

I am posting now to ask if anyone has received a text or email from Todd Klimson? Last night I got a message from him (he is a manager with POP RVS) saying, "Would you mind if we try to bring a buyer for your RV and added our fee on top of your price?" I checked him out online and he appears to be legit--had a lot of reviews, many of them positive. Has anyone done business with this company? He is in Ocala. One of the reviews said that the seller would be charged for the finder's fee. Evidently he lists boats and RVs on a bunch of sites including RVTrader and eBay.
BeckyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #36
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBee View Post
I am posting now to ask if anyone has received a text or email from Todd Klimson? Last night I got a message from him (he is a manager with POP RVS) saying, "Would you mind if we try to bring a buyer for your RV and added our fee on top of your price?" I checked him out online and he appears to be legit--had a lot of reviews, many of them positive. Has anyone done business with this company? He is in Ocala. One of the reviews said that the seller would be charged for the finder's fee. Evidently he lists boats and RVs on a bunch of sites including RVTrader and eBay.

This is a fairly common occurrence and while it's not exactly a scam, it's annoying. Airstreams are desirable and various markety folks will be interested in selling your rig for a either a percentage of the sale or a straight commission. it is common for folks to get contacted by rvtrader, local rv outfits and in this case a yacht broker in the sale area...

How you handle it is up to you but remember that if you agree to an arrangement like this you are cutting your profit margin and there is still no guarantee of a hassle free sale. Our basic advice is that if a situation seems sketchy, it probably is...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
List it on rvtraderonline.com
Will probably sell in 48 hours if priced reasonably.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:01 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
scam

Our friend Duane contacted me one day after listing my AS, with the same text as below and said he would pay full price via paypal. I just replied and paypal was not an acceptable method of payment. Never heard from him again.

Kilmson on the other hand appears to be legit. They are around tampa somewhere and their paperwork indicates that they add their fees to your selling price. I don't honestly see how adding 10% to my SP is going to work.

Ed
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionman View Post
Our friend Duane contacted me one day after listing my AS, with the same text as below and said he would pay full price via paypal. I just replied and paypal was not an acceptable method of payment. Never heard from him again.

Kilmson on the other hand appears to be legit. They are around tampa somewhere and their paperwork indicates that they add their fees to your selling price. I don't honestly see how adding 10% to my SP is going to work.

Ed
Hi

Here's how it may work:

You agree to the deal and they then tell you to cancel your listing here on the forum. The trailer then lists for your price plus 10% on their site. Assuming they get any hits the offer they receive is passed on to you. If the buyer wants 20% off the listing price, they still get their 10% .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote