Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
SCAM- Be aware

Just for you guys to know,

i have a vehicle for sale here in the classified ads. I was approached by a person, who claims, he is interested, but due to offshore work , he has no access to a bank and can only pay via pay-pal and a shipping agent will come and pick up the vehicle.
There are to many scams out there regarding paypal. Google a "Paypal scam" and you will see.

What has the world come too ?

I for sure sell only in Person with Cash.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
Excellent idea!

This is a recurring issue and posting about it helps other members stay savvy.

Please PM me with any identifying information (name provided, email address...) and I'll see what I can do to cut him off.

BTW -- don't respond to suspicious emails like this. Our classifieds gives none of your info away, but all transaction discussions take place away from the forum. Prospective buyers have to email you first and they have no identifying information on you unless or until you respond.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
Just for you guys to know,

i have a vehicle for sale here in the classified ads. I was approached by a person, who claims, he is interested, but due to offshore work , he has no access to a bank and can only pay via pay-pal and a shipping agent will come and pick up the vehicle.
There are to many scams out there regarding paypal. Google a "Paypal scam" and you will see.

What has the world come too ?

Definitely sell like you buy... in-person transactions with appropriate identification and reliable funds. When I bought my Argosy I offered to do the transaction at my bank so the seller could have the certified check verified at the source, but I guess he was either a good judge of character or overly trusting.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I think it was "for real" but I got a call from a soldier in Iraq......out of Davis-Monthan which is our local base. No strange offers.

We have gotten many phone calls on our 25' Classic; a lot of people want/wish/once wanted to have/and now? $26,000 is a lot of
$ but what can I say

The best advertisement has been here on the airforums. I would like to sell to "savvy" people. A 95-year-old couple is really wrong. I cannot do that to them

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

1960 24' Tradewind
Bel Air , Maryland
Rivet Sales scams

BEWARE THERE ARE SCAMMERS trying to buy our Airstreams and trying to make money from our ads. I had someone contact me and offered me $3000 for this airstream that I have on here. They said they put the money in my Paypal account and then sent me an email saying they put an extra $950.00 into paypal that way I could forward those funds to the person they were having pick the trailer up from me. They then sent me a spoof email that I was to think came from Paypal and said that it was ok for me to send the $950 to their shipper before my funds cleared on Paypal. I am not totally stupid! Paypal has no accounting of any money being put into my account from anyone. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS if it happens to you. The email came from

BEWARE THERE ARE SCAMMERS READING AIRSTREAM CLASSIFIEDS: THEY OFFER TO BUY YOUR AIRSTREAM AND THEN WANT TO ADD EXTRA MONEY TO YOUR SALE FOR YOU TO SEND $950 FROM YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO THEIR SHIPPER. IT IS A SCAM DO NOT DO IT.
brucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi - please report these to us. The username and/or e-mail address will especially helpful.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Old Saying: "First get the money". Make sure the check clears, and know that even money orders can be forgeries. When I was in real estate, and friend took a 50,000 deposit on a bank check from Chase bank. Fortunately she called, as the check was a forgery. People are not gonna give a total stranger a dime extra for a transaction. Don't be fooled by this individual. Hey Janet, why not place a spoof add on the classifieds and catch the thief that way?
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The scam offer I received (through CL, though TT was on AIR also) was of a pair of artists ostensibly living in AZ -- disabled, both of them -- and an "agent" would take possession of the TT once payment received.

Cash talks. All else I have a hard time hearing.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
titles

This is the second time this has happened to me. I responded to an ad and was told a clear title was in hand. It wasn't. On both occasions the title was in the name of a person in another state and the current 'owner' had a bill of sale. If bought these vehicles can't be registered and titled in the states of VA & NC. The vehicle MUST be titled in the name of the person issuing the bill of sale.
Is this a common occurance? Has anyone any ideas or experience?
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Just walk. There are thousands of Airstreams out there.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Just a friendly reminder from your retired Fraud/Complaince Officer at local Credit Union.. A good counterfeit Cashier's Check can be "cleared" and accepted for deposit at your bank, and funds relased to you, and then 2 weeks later your bank may come back to you and explain check was a phony and funds deducted.. All legal.. The ONLY way to guarantee validity fo Cashier's/Official Check, is to present it to the issuing institution (like Moneygram or Bank named..) at their place of business and demand cash, which they have to provide.. For Moneygram, that is one office in downtown LA... When your bank accepts for deposit, or lets you cash it, it is for convenience only if issued by another institution, and they can recover the funds.. Wire Transfer generally much harder to revers, so if you are looking to be paid, Wire to your bank while you wait is usually OK...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Just received this email from my posting on the airstream forums classifieds. I smell a skunk! Beware!

I really appreciate your respond,I am an oceanographer and am currently at sea at the moment,due to my occupation as a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore,sometimes access to regular emails and phone calls are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of the immarsat service, I located in pacific WA, and i want you to know that am okay with the Airstream status and also the conditions of the Airstream and the asking price as well, I am buying the Airstream as a gift for my Dad as a surprise for him,he wont know anything about the Airstream until they get delivered to him, i can only pay through PayPal as i don't have access to my bank account on-line as i don't have internet banking,but i have my bank account attached to my PayPal account and this is why i insisted on paying you through PayPal, kindly get back to me with your PayPal details if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up at your bank and get it set up,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through so i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has been done, i have a pick up agent that will come around for verifications and to pick the Airstream after i have made the payments for the Airstream.So I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the making of the payment.

1.Your PayPal full name.
2.Your PayPal Email Address.
3..Your phone number.

Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping. I will have my pick-up agent come over as soon as you have receive the payment confirmation.

To: "philiplozada65@yahoo.com" <philiplozada65@yahoo.com

On Jun 1, 2012, at 8:36 PM, philiplozada65@yahoo.com wrote:

> 1959 Airstream Overlander Single Axle
>
> Hello, I want to purchase your Airstream is still for sale ? What is the final price and what is the condition of the item ? I would like to pay using PayPal,After payments has been made i will arrange for pick up of the Airstream as soon as possible... I'll like to have the response to these question in your earliest convenience...Email us at philiplozada65@yahoo.com.....Hope to hear from you soon.
> Thanks,
>
> http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...?product=15864
Jimbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I guess we should be thankful that most of these scammers are not quite the sharpest tools in the shed. At least they're generally easy to spot.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
I replied to an add on Craigs list for a 99 Bambi for $3000. First clue that this was a scam was the price but I replied anyway since it was supposed to be local. The seller was a "Harrison Susan E SSgt USAF ACC 23 FSS FSVF" who claimed she was in "special training" and unable to use a phone. She was going to be deployed to Afghanistan in 6 days and needed to sell fast. The camper was already crated and waiting at the shipping company (who crates a camper for shipping???)

Unfortunately claiming to be a service member being deployed and needing to sell something is a growing scam.

My rules for internet buying/selling:

1) never transact without meeting in person unless it is from a reputable online business.

2) Google the buyer/seller. You would be surprised how much you will find. If they are legit you should be able to at least find an address and phone that matches what they have given you. When I googled "Susan Harrison" I found numerous posts of that name associated with scams. I also found hundreds of other references to "SSgt USAF ACC 23 FSS FSVF" and similar related to scams.

3) If it seems to good to be true it is, period.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I helped some friends place photos and ads for 4 tractors and a Mini Cooper in Albuquerque Craigslist. Within 24 hours we received an email like you describe ("out of country, paypal, agent will pick up") for all 5 ads. Each worded a bit differently, but all the same.

We responded that when the agent comes to pick up the ---- he should bring cash.

We also received an email for all ads that read something like this, "Hey, is this your merchandise?" with a link in the email. Deleted them all--NEVER click on a link in an email.

I guess these scum bags are watching all these websites and sending these emails by the thousands.
barbara4rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
SCAM- Be aware

There is a 97. 34'. For Sale and is supposedly in Alexander City, Al for $13,000.00. Sellers reply started to bring a smell of scam/fraud etc. Death in family / price includes delivery / phone # not good / and Sarah Goldman ( seller ) will advise me of the terms. That will be interesting. Will update.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara4rb View Post
We responded that when the agent comes to pick up the ---- he should bring cash.
AND a notarized document from the person granting the agent power of attorney. E-mail scammers aren't usually set up to forge paper documents with notary seals embossed on them.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mitzi View Post
There is a 97. 34'. For Sale and is supposedly in Alexander City, Al for $13,000.00. Sellers reply started to bring a smell of scam/fraud etc. Death in family / price includes delivery / phone # not good / and Sarah Goldman ( seller ) will advise me of the terms. That will be interesting. Will update.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

You should report this. I have already reported another scam by Sarah Goodman. They deleted the ad right away.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And of course the easiest way to spot a scam is that they will buy your Airstream without doing a physical inspection!

D'oh.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I have heard of people buying them sight unseen. Don't know that I would do that, but there is a 25fb listed that is real tempting.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote