Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Lightbulb Savvy Classifieds advice

An issue has come up again. Dealings between seller and buyer are private, run via e-mail and not through our site. We make an effort to keep an eye on this but your reporting suspicious activity is most helpful!

Scammers may be pretty soft on haggling and will agree to the full price readily. They'll often have somebody else pick up your item and deliver a cashier's check to you. For more, read this and this.

Avoid fraud. Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or 'feels' wrong. Inquiries from overseas buyers, buyers 'agents' and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Please ask others whether they think a deal is suspicious -- and let a moderator know too. Thanks!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Good advice Bob. When I've sold motor vehicles I usually request cash and a deposit (check is ok for that). They'll tell me it's a hassle and it is. If they are serious, they'll do it. Establish a time limit and write up a bill of sale that states when the cash is due and that the deposit is forfeited if they don't come through. If you have a copier, make a copy of their driver's license; if you don't, copy down the details on it.

With computers it can be possible to create fake checks of all kinds. If it's a local person, and they want to do a check, ask to go to their bank with them and make sure there's money in the account and get it. Some banks, if you call them, will tell you if there's enough money in the account to cover the check, but you won't know if it's still there when it goes through the system.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Yes to what Bob and Gene said!

Having "graduated" from retirement and joined a $2B credit union as manager for legal and fraud issues (among others..) I can assure you scammers are trying to cheat our members every week. In a typical month we see more than a dozen counterfeit cashier or official checks, phony money orders (usually with request to wire"excess funds" back to someone), check-swapping schemes leaving members holding the bag, etc.. E-Bay and Craigslist are very active with scammers these days...

It may be OK to take a check, but be suspicious, look up issuer's phone number independently and try to verify official checks by color, format and number, and know where you can trade it for CASH.. Law only requires issuing bank to give cash.. All others, like your own bank, can just put into system on your behalf, but if it comes back phony or NSF, it's your loss, not the bank's... (And most law enforcement agencies are just too busy or ill-equipped to help if you get cheated...).

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Just a reminder about safe classifieds use.... if you are running an ad and receive an e-mail inquiry that seems odd or wrong, it probably is. Check to see that the individual is a registered forum member with a good posting history. If you are ever unsure, you can contact a forum moderator to ask for help locating this info.

Other tips:
  • Do not accept Certified Check/Money Order as payment for your items - these are easy to forge.
  • If the language in your contacts with another party seems odd (non-standard English) walk- away.
  • If you are asked to interact with a freight company, be wary. This is a common scam.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #5

2000 30' Excella
Fleetwood , Pennsylvania
I placed an ad and my photos did not come up. Can you help me? IF I want to modify the ad, how can I do that? Is there a contact number for help on thes issues? Thanks Phil
Phil55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
You are so right Janet. I received several scams in exactly the same way you have noted. The offers were too good to be true. Also be careful what personal data you provide. Give enough and you might find you have bought several TV's.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Thanks to all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Just a reminder about safe classifieds use.... if you are running an ad and receive an e-mail inquiry that seems odd or wrong, it probably is. Check to see that the individual is a registered forum member with a good posting history. If you are ever unsure, you can contact a forum moderator to ask for help locating this info.

Other tips:
  • Do not accept Certified Check/Money Order as payment for your items - these are easy to forge.
  • If the language in your contacts with another party seems odd (non-standard English) walk- away.
  • If you are asked to interact with a freight company, be wary. This is a common scam.
The timing couldn't be better. I just got an email that referenced ALL THREE of these techniques. I ignored it and was just about to ask someone when I saw your posts. I shall continue to ignore.

BTW, I just successfully made two transactions (small) through the classifieds and am thrilled to have my vintage parts go to people who really appreciated them.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Does anyone else think this is a wierd classified add?
Message - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Used Airstreams For Sale
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Can't say if it's weird or not... but the person who posted thead is a long time member of the forum.

If you search the member list you will find them and many posts. There are some that detail assorted issues and questions about this trailer.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Can't say if it's weird or not... but the person who posted thead is a long time member of the forum.

If you search the member list you will find them and many posts. There are some that detail assorted issues and questions about this trailer.
Janet, when I click on the add I get a message that says
"This classified has not yet been paid for." and no pictures.
Just seemed strange. All other adds come in fine.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
I've had some things listed for sale on Airforums Classifieds and in the last few weeks have had two contacts that match what others are warning about. See the two different contacts below:

1st in November:

Hello Seller ,
I am interested in your item and send me pictures . My preferred means of payment is cashiers check or Personal check and what is your final asking price? I am very pleased with the item and i do wish to seal up the deal as soon as possible. The price is acceptable and the conditions are favorable . The item will be picked up from your location and i will send the shipment details and information to you in my subsequent correspondence .But before we can proceed, I want you to get back to me with your contact information which includes you name, address and phone number so that payment can be sent to you. Get back to me with the requested information and have a splendid day .

This was from a hill.kenneth92@yahoo

2nd one this week:

I am okay with the price of the item and its condition as well. Kindly consider it sold. However, I will be paying you with a cashier's check. If you can provide me with the name and address to send this to, I will issue it out as soon as possible. As for the shipment, I will prefer to take care of that. I will hire a hauling company to come for the pick-up of the item. I'm sure this will be okay with you. Thanks very much. I will be waiting to read from you soon.

This was from a scott_timothy41@yahoo

Sounds like to me they just want to get your address so they can come rip you off.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Paul,

scam X 2.

when you get a message like that, one of your first points to look will be Google'ing the sender's email address.

as examples -

scott_timothy41@yahoo - Google Search

hill.kenneth92@yahoo - Google Search

the second one even returns another thread here on the 'forums - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ads-71834.html

when selling an item online, we'll often request that an interested buyer also provide a phone number to us. that will often help screen bogus responses.

we also commonly include that "Scammers need not not respond. No Nigerian checks. No protected eBay shipping schemes. No 'sorry, I'm traveling right now' bs. Thanks!"

not a perfect solution, but helpful tactics.

also, you might want to create a separate email account that you use only for such business. a friend recently had his principal email account hacked, and I can't begin to tell you how much grief he went through....

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Add does not look wierd to me. Looks like a nice airstream.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote