Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Thank you Airstreamers for your replies. I was a bit surprised by this scam attempt. It is a rather common scam, kinda like "you're being sued", or "call the IRS right away".

And thanks for the advice on title <> money transfers. I too like local deals. I too have sold a lot of vehicles privately. I purchase my Trade Wind privately and we did the transfer at our bank. I may try to advertise my Trade Wind in a more local market. We'll see.

David

Old 08-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Thank you Airstreamers for your replies. I was a bit surprised by this scam attempt. It is a rather common scam, kinda like "you're being sued", or "call the IRS right away".

And thanks for the advice on title <> money transfers. I too like local deals. I too have sold a lot of vehicles privately. I purchase my Trade Wind privately and we did the transfer at our bank. I may try to advertise my Trade Wind in a more local market. We'll see.

David
Hi

It's a very common scam any time you try to sell things on Craig's List. They eventually morph and latch on to other internet "for sale" sites, with basically the same scam.

Bob

Old 08-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
No way would I drive across country with big cash in my pocket. I find a local bank willing to accept a transfer from my bank, then either do the trade in cash or a cashiers check. If buyer does not accept that I just don't buy the item.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I recently posted a nice ad for my vintage Airstream on Classifieds. It's a good place to market our trailers.

My first response to this ad is a scam attempt. The purpose of this thread is to alert sellers there are thieves out there. If you catch a thief, show no mercy.

Here is the e-mail I received:

I will like to purchase it, but I cant make it there with cash or to check it out,I will pay you through PayPal and the freight company will pick up after you receive payment and do you have PayPal account?

Obviously the seller stops payment as soon as the freight company leaves your property. Now you have no trailer or no money. Stolen.

David
yep, this a common one .... IGNORE !!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I am thinking about trying to make big money payment using PayPal. If payment is pending or unclaimed, payment can be rescinded. But once payment is accepted or final it cannot be stopped or rescinded. Seems like an ideal way to make a large purchase, without the risk of having a large amt of cash on hand.
BTW, cops can legally confiscate large amounts of cash during a traffic stop, if they see it while investigating for probable cause. Happens in my State many times.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
BTW, cops can legally confiscate large amounts of cash during a traffic stop, if they see it while investigating for probable cause. Happens in my State many times.
Yes, and it's out of control. It's called "asset forfeiture" and it assumes if you're carrying a large sum of money, you must be a criminal. So the state/county/local/ cops take it and it's up to you to prove you're innocent. Meanwhile, the cops don't want to give it back, so it becomes a nightmare.
I'd never pay in cash (>$1000). I agree, a wire transfer is the best way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I am thinking about trying to make big money payment using PayPal.
As a buyer, PayPal is great. As a seller it's terrible. The buyer has 90 days to change his mind, PayPal almost always sides with the buyer. So I could buy the item, and two months later say I want my money back. The item was not as described. I win.
I've actually bought items at a discounted price by telling the seller I won't use PayPal.