Logged in user: xxxx
Reason:

Blah Blah Blah
"Boo Hoo Hoo"
"Whine Whine Whine"
"He said He said He said"
"Their selling Their selling Their selling"
"yadda yadda yadda"

This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

Why is this "report feature" limited to the above higlighted reasons only?

Wouldn't it make alot of common sense to include a few other items that a moderator or owner should pay a little attention to?
Such as:

Uh moderator ...this thread is in the wrong forum! How about moving it to_____.
or
Uh moderator ...the links in this post are dead.
or
Uh moderator ...this post has deviated from the subject matter of this thread and should be re-positioned possibly to the following thread __________.
or
Uh moderator ...this is a very important thread I suggest that it be vested (locked) so that the original thread starter can not eliminate it by deleting the starting post.
or
Uh moderator ...this thread is timely and important and needs to be exposed a while longer. Would you kindly consider flipping it back to the top of the list. (Of course any member can do this by just adding an update post to any open thread, but maybe some just don't have anything new to add).

Just an friendly intended idea that makes sense to me.
Perhaps others could add other suggestions to my list.

IMHO If we'd worry a fraction as much about the future of this forum as most seem to about the future of WBCCI we'd all help to insure that this repository was secure and user friendly for years to come in spite of the fate of some politically endangered club.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:08 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think all these reasons are valid.

To help us out, please be sure to post your comments to the moderator(s) assigned to the forum area where the message is located. Only of few of us have the powers to work on any forum. For example I can only do changes within the trailer forum. Reporting an issue to me from the our community area only delays the process since I in turn have to forward your message to the proper moderator.

To find out the moderator of a forum, click on the forum tab at the top of your screen.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Jack I'm confused (as usual) .

When one of us uses the "Report this post to a Moderator" function we have no way to direct it to any particular moderator.

Do you only see some of the reports? or all of them?

Are you telling us to ignore the stated "ONLY" in the report instructions? Why not go in and re-word the instructions if serious about recieving other types of reports?

Thanks for your quick reply.
I hope other Moderators chime in too as well as Andy.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by jaco
When one of us uses the "Report this post to a Moderator" function we have no way to direct it to any particular moderator.

If I'm reading this right (and I may not be), every moderator is set up to automatically receive notifications from forums in his specifically assigned area. This would seem to eliminate the need to direct it to a a particular moderator since it's already predetermined.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:37 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess I was speaking genericly in that you would private message a moderator. I haven't used the report post feature but my gut feeling is that if you use the report feature it will go to the proper moderator who is assigned to that forum. All the "reports" I have ever gotten have been by private messages which in many cases I either acted upon or sent to the moderator who could act on the message.

If you would like to report a post go to one of mine in the 2001 Safari forum and report it as a test. I'll be curious to see if it comes to me.

Rewording of those instructions will have to be done by someone with higher security levels than I. Quite honestly I stand by my thoughts that what you suggested would be a good use of that feature. There is so much going on we sometimes do not see things that may need some tidying up.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
FYI...I got them both!

I think you have some good ideas jaco...I try to relocate posts to the appropriate forums at least once a day it's not always when they first show up, but it's usually when I first see them. Of course, where the "appropriate forum" is, is sometimes subjective...so we all just do the best we can.

I think Andy's intent with the word "only" is to reduce the amount of "he said, she said" reports....IMO most of the ones you suggested would fall under the "problematic" catagory. As far as outdated links...those are tough. Is it down permanantly or just temporarily because of a server issue? Do you delete the entire thread/post and lose all the discussion & comments? Or what??? That's a tough call...

Anyway, if you see something you feel is questionable go ahead and report it ~ most of us will thank you for your help.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Reported posts only go to the moderator(s) of the section they moderate. There is a box to add your reasoning as stated above. If there is a reason to report the post/thread please do so. BTW beware of what you wish for. Some of us got tapped to be moderators early on because we said the same things

The main reason that the report a post feature is there is to help us when a post is in violation of the policy's of the forum. Everyone's PC meter has a different sensitivity. Some times threads wander a bit and then get back on track. Splitting a thread as soon as it wanders would distill the information, but would also make the forum dry and perhaps stilted. When a thread has gone off into left field it is normally split by the moderators. I know there is a ton of housekeeping done by us all that for the most part goes un-noticed by the members due to the fact we do not leave links and pointers to stuff in most cases. It just clutters up the interface.

Jaco,
Your points are valid, please let us know if you think something needs to be addressed. Please remember we are all volunteers and it can sometimes take a day or two to take action. Especially when the weather is nice and we are out on the road.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I received a test message from jaco
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Jack I went somewhere in the Safari model threads and did as you requested. I also went to one of your posts in the Blue Beret Tome and sent another test. As you are not a moderator in the Our community forum I have no idea where that will go. I saw that Shari was a mod there and maybe she will let you know.

I must admit that I am a bit amused that all this is not covered in you guys training.

It is also surprising to me that no one has ever sent a "report this post" in any of the forums you oversee.

I have never used the feature, but would if the more helpful aspects outlined above were encouraged. I tend to take my issues to the "street" aka "thread lane" and then of course you guys remove them.
I only go there in my own defense i.e returning fire.

Maybe Andy can fly all of yall to Dallas or Acapulco for a Moderator Refresher.
Any reports of the missing Moderators? That trip might bring them out of hiding!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Thanks to all of you.

I am not sharpshooting any of you I hope you can see.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Training?????????

Quote:
I must admit that I am a bit amused that all this is not covered in you guys training.
This is definitely an OJT operation.

I have received a number of "report this post" messages; very few of them were gripes about specific posts. Many of them simply wanted to ask a question; sometimes totally unrelated to the thread they were sent from.

A recent "report" wanted to know where he could get a replacement window. I don't remember what the thread was, but iit had no relation to the question.
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:12 PM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Pahaska

I have on occasion gotten the same thing where the report this post button was used, but in most cases it has been done for the forum defined reasons.

I agree it has been OJT for most of us. At the same time I feel that this forum (based on others I frequent) has some of the friendlier folks and for the most part a heavy hand is not necessary. Thus the OJT has been minimal since we don't have to do much.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I cruise looking for threads to move if need be...trying to keep it all in order. There are ocassionally some to delete as well if they are totally tactless.
Our training in Acapulco? Sounds good to me, it will give me a chance to spend all the money we get paid here
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Moderator musings

Hey ALANSD keep cruising there's lots to re-arrange.

As for deletions may I suggest that an attempt be made just to edit out the objectionable areas. This way not to disturb the complete context of the thread.

It would be wise IMHO to insert a colored text omission notice where a snip was made.
This would help those that were to be following the thread and would serve as a bright reminder to the culprit to proceed more cautiously.

By the way do yall confer before most edits? I do suppose some things would need little conference.

I would also suggest that all Mod to member business be in a defaulted color. i.e. that only yall could use. Maybe green for the envy I would have for the non-moderator members if I had your hat to wear.

Also by the way do yall have a way to Vest threads without locking (closing) them? I really think that should be a priority action when a thread becomes obviously valuable to so many members. In fact the ability of the thread starter to remove by deletion of his first post the whole thread should be disabled entirely across the board at once when a 2nd post occurs in the thread.
If a member needs to delete then he could request a Mod to do it.
Again just my 4$ worth.