Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I installed a new Furion 30 amp connector on my 1966 Trade Wind. I remember how "cheap" the fasteners were that are used to clamp the wire to the plug. But I'm sure I got the wires tight. I can see how you might apply torque to the screw and think your tight but not really. I believe I purchased it from VTS. It looked like a high quality piece.

I wonder if a guy could do a resistance check from the plug to the breaker box connections. You would expect very low resistance. But if it was 50 ohms or 500 ohms, it might indicate a poor connection. I guess I could do a infrared heat image of the plug while the AC is on. That would tell me if I had a hot spot. We did this yearly in the factory looking for trouble in the load centers.

Furion has a problem on their hands.

David

PS I have installed a 2024 T3 door on my new water heater. It ain't white any longer. I didn't want you to think bad things about me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Electrical New Twist Lock Plug.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	228191  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
The 30 amp Furrion Square with LED can be bought for $40. Might be cheaper than a trip to the dealer.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
It is currently my understanding the dealers have a list of affected units. Apparently, my 2015 Serenity with 50 Amp service is not one of the affected units as the dealer was not given my VIN by the factory. I am doing more checking on this issue, but have also been told the repair is possible by anyone who has some ability to do handy work. One checks the back of the plug if possible, or removes the plug in the side of the trailer and checks the connections this way.

CAUTION: All electrical power should be disconnected , for sure the shore line, and the batteries as well to avoid a potential electrical shock.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
It is now confirmed the recall does not apply to the 50 Amp inlets. It only applies to 30 Amp in certain 2014 and 2015 units but does apply to both those without the generator prep and those with the generator prep.

This the word from the factory in a phone call today.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 12-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Caution about doing it yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
It is currently my understanding the dealers have a list of affected units. Apparently, my 2015 Serenity with 50 Amp service is not one of the affected units as the dealer was not given my VIN by the factory. I am doing more checking on this issue, but have also been told the repair is possible by anyone who has some ability to do handy work. One checks the back of the plug if possible, or removes the plug in the side of the trailer and checks the connections this way.

CAUTION: All electrical power should be disconnected , for sure the shore line, and the batteries as well to avoid a potential electrical shock.
One thing to think about even though it seems it would be an easy fix--If you do it and then something later happens, it would be on you. You had the recall notice and did not have the dealer's service department verify it was repaired correctly. I thought of doing it myself and not go to the trouble and expense of hooking up and hauling 140 miles round trip but my wife brought this question to my attention. I think Deb's approach might be wiser.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I just went out and checked mine just for peace of mind. Very easy to do.

REMOVE POWER FROM THE TRAILER!!!

Remove the 4 sheet metal screws and then gently pull the power inlet from the trailer wall. Once you have it out enough to work with, remove the 2 screws from the strain relief and slide the terminal cover away from the inlet. You will now see the terminal screws. There are 3 of them. Check them for tightness. I was able to turn mine about 1/4 turn before they were tightened completely. Reverse the steps to return the inlet to it's rightful spot making sure the gasket is properly situated.

Just to CMA, I will get the recall done next time it is in the shop. YMMV. If you are not 100% sure about what you are doing, don't do it!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
One might hope that an independent shop could do the check as some dealers I would not trust to touch a cabinet knob inside my trailer, let alone the electrical system. .
switz, I blew coffee onto my computer over this. Next time I see your name, I'll read with caution
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
In a case like we are discussing, the use of photos documenting every step may be quite useful. Even showing the torque on the wrench used to tighten the screws. I suspect, if done adequately, maybe a video documenting the entire process, the issue of warranty could be resolved, and as the cost of towing to a dealer is not insignificant, one could very easily justify this approach. And, a certified trailer repair shop should be able to perform this check as well. Reputation of a repair shop can be documented in today's world.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #49
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
as a point of reference, the affected units have VIN numbers which include the sequences from -529205 through -531882.

this info was supplied by Jackson Center following my email request.

hope this helps,
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
as a point of reference, the affected units have VIN numbers which include the sequences from -529205 through -531882.

this info was supplied by Jackson Center following my email request.

hope this helps,
Thanks for the range. Looks like I'm right in the middle of the range.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Does anyone know, do they tighten the screws or replacing the outlet?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Sorry looking back on the post I have answered my own question.
REMEDY:
Airstream will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the receptacle for damage and tighten the electrical connectors, or replace the power inlet if necessary, free of charge. The recall began on November 10, 2014. Owners may contact Airstream customer service at 1-937-596-6111.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
We took our FC in to the dealer.

I first asked if I could just take the technician to where we are wintered... a 10-minute drive... No go. After we hooked on and drove our winterized and freshly polished AS through the driving rain, the technician simply unscrewed the power male power plug, pulled it out, tightened the screws by hand, and put it all back together. It took 10-minutes of the dealer's time. But, it took 2 1/2 hours out of our lives by the time we hooked up, hauled to the dealer and back. Had the technician come to our storage place, the whole operation would have taken 1/2 hour of his time and less than an hour of ours ... grrr! I can really sympathize with you who live hours from a dealer.

Now we know that we have complied and are happy that AS-Factory were concerned enough to acknowledge a recall. I suppose this is a situation of an incompetence in production at Airstream that we all get to share.

It seems like there should be a more "liberal" and accommodating way to deal with this issue, in my humble opinion.

Do we still love our Airstream? You Bet!
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I agree with you. Seems like the dealer could determine where thd affdcted units are located within a certain distance from their location and spend a few days visiting and fixing those byg j woukd imagine the logistics would be a nightmare.

Sorry yoh hadcto go through all that but now yiu dan sleep soundly knowing it is fixed.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I agree with you. Seems like the dealer could determine where thd affdcted units are located within a certain distance from their location and spend a few days visiting and fixing those byg j woukd imagine the logistics would be a nightmare.

Sorry yoh hadcto go through all that but now yiu dan sleep soundly knowing it is fixed.

With a small level of experience in this area, I can say that the vendor, who is ultimately gonna pay the bill, probably would not agree to this.

Kinda like a Ford recall because of bad Koni shocks...Koni has to pay Ford for the time, and supply the new shocks to fix the issue. No way will Ford show up at Casa da Trailer Park and jack up the 'ole Pinto for the swap.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
HiHo... Yep, I understand your analogy with the shocks regarding that sort of issue.

This electrical plug check is really a simple deal that takes driving to a site, a screwdriver, no lifting or movement of the AS, and some cogent factory info. In our case, it would have been a 20-minute turn-a-round from the dealer service department, fix, and back.

A fire could potentially create an awful scenario for the AS owners and the factory. Like you, we were in business and we understand the extreme value of good will and fears of product liability issues.

Like I said, at least they informed us of the problem.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Where we store our FC there are at least 20 newer ASs. It is less than 10-minutes from the AS Shop. The dealer would probably be glad to check there, rather than to force tow-ins. They just must not have vender authorization (?).
Old 12-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #58
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron A View Post
Does anyone know, do they tighten the screws or replacing the outlet?

The plug is inspected for heat damage. If it is not damaged, the connector screws are tightened to 14 inch pounds, and the original plug is re-installed.