Old 10-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #29
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
bob....seems to me from the information that you posted, the only problem is that your dns servers are slow.

once the ip stack on your computer translates the name to an ip address, it should cache it, so it doesn't have to look it up again. (using the "ttl" or "time to live" value specified from the authoritative dns server).

traceroute only tells you the time to send/recieve icmp packets to the routers in between you and the host.

more likely, the server hosting the site gets overloaded...each connection takes a certain amount of ram...exceed that, and people get dropped off...etc, etc.

I get the same errors, too. I'm guessing there's some buggy code in the website software somewhere, based on the errors I see on my proxy server. ("malformed reply"...not the same as a "gateway timeout".). But doing traceroutes at these times has yet to indicate any kind of network latency issue.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #30
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I disagree, I am at the moment using Optonline.net, a huge backbone, from work on my T1 I use Paetec backbone, also huge.

Now add to that the other people who have posted are all of their dns servers slow?
I don't think so. Its the source at ASForums

Now to blame the software---this is vBulletin Version 3.5.0, not possible it is bullet proof used by thousands, and It wouldn't be intermitant I don't think.

Go to Reefcentral.com it rocks with thousands of users at one time, and many others, when this forums hangs with database errors displayed it is the server, I spend a lot of time online and have an E-commerce business for many years.

I believe I'm correct, but if the forum owner wishes to sweep the concerns under the rug after this thread, well I guess we're all wasting our time and the sponser's are wasting their money!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #31
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I disagree, I am at the moment using Optonline.net, a huge backbone, from work on my T1 I use Paetec backbone, also huge.

Now add to that the other people who have posted are all of their dns servers slow?
no; I'm just saying that the data you posted only involves the act of looking up an address, and has little to do with anything other than making your first connection of the day.
Quote:
I don't think so. Its the source at ASForums
I do, too, but for entirely different reasons.
Quote:
Now to blame the software---this is vBulletin Version 3.5.0, not possible it is bullet proof ...
a: there's no such thing, and b: software runs on hardware, and it has its limits. each tcp connection requires a certain amount of ram; exceed a certain amount, and the server stops accepting connections.

Quote:
I spend a lot of time online and have an E-commerce business for many years.
I'm a network engineer. I make computers talk to each other on lans and wans...
Old 10-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #32
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Ok, we both know something about computers. What do you have to say about the database error?

What do you have to say about the others you have posted in this thread the same conductivity issues?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #33
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Ok, we both know something about computers. What do you have to say about the database error?

What do you have to say about the others you have posted in this thread the same conductivity issues?
nothing that I haven't already said. The issue appears to be on the server itself. That could be caused by software, hardware, or a combination of the 2. under "hardware, there's a disk channel, ram, processor, lan channel(unlikely there)...lots of different areas that could be over taxed. I don't see (or haven't yet seen) any indication that there's a problem with the pipe going in or out. One thing I have heard is that the issue is "predictable" at around 7 am EST, and it turns out, thats when there is a back up running. That can really slow a server down. backup software puts a huge hit on a server's response. If we ever have one running during working hours, we hear about it from the users.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #34
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
That can really slow a server down. backup software puts a huge hit on a server's response. If we ever have one running during working hours, we hear about it from the users.
Click the shortcut, wait for the server.
Brew a pot of coffee, wait for the server.
Walk the dog, wait for the server...
You know, if we all didn't have high-speed connections, we would never notice the slow response.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #35
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Andy has 2 servers on order. He hosts other forum sites as well as this one and several WBCCI unit websites (including my own unit).

Be patient, go polish! We periodically go through these expansion "phases" and yes - they are annoying. But I guess it's a happy kind of problem to have.....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks Janet for the update.
I think most of us agree that there has been a problem, knowing that there is a fix on the horizon should calm everyone down a little. Growing pains occur, things happen, you can't always anticipate everything at the speed that we all want it in the info age. Let's all take a collective "deep cleansing breath".
Old 10-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #37
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Good news

Old 10-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #38
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
I want my money back.

Oh wait, it's free.

Never mind.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #39
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Andy has 2 servers on order. He hosts other forum sites as well as this one and several WBCCI unit websites (including my own unit).

Be patient, go polish! We periodically go through these expansion "phases" and yes - they are annoying. But I guess it's a happy kind of problem to have.....
Whatever happened to the idea of a dedicated server for airstreamforums which was promised many moons ago if problems persisted?
Did my money contribution go to financing those "other" forum sites?
I donated money to support airstreamforums.com and all I got was 2 nondescript "AiR forums" stickers which I would be embarrassed to stick on my AIRSTREAM trailer.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:43 AM   #40
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Whatever happened to the idea of a dedicated server for airstreamforums which was promised many moons ago if problems persisted?
Did my money contribution go to financing those "other" forum sites?
I donated money to support airstreamforums.com and all I got was 2 nondescript "AiR forums" stickers which I would be embarrassed to stick on my AIRSTREAM trailer.
It is my understanding that Airstream Forums (and other airstream related sites) is on a dedicated server but with over 16,000 members, 24,000 threads, 269,000 posts and an untold number of daily hits I am sure it taxes the servers on occasion. Kind of like rush hour on the freeway. Hit it at 0300 in the morning and you could do donuts and not get hit, try that at say 5:15 in the evening and you would become a grease spot. And all of it may not be server related, there have been a couple of times when it has been slow that the issues have been in the internet backbone itself not the servers.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #41
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
A new server arrived at the datacenter and I am awaiting the operating system to be installed. As soon as they give me the green light, I will have the server admins do their security setup and get the server configured for me. Then I will move some sites off this server and we should be back to normal.

This has happened a few times and I appologize. I think a bulk of the traffic right now is from a wave of search engine spiders that are indexing for an upcoming search index release. Thanks for your patience and we will have clear sailing soon...
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks Andy for the update. Slow or not, it's a great site, although the upgrade will be appreciated.