Old 03-31-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
problems starting threads

HELP, I cannot seem to get the board to allow me to start threads... HELP

It works once out of 10 attempts.. What is happening?

Old 03-31-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
HELP, I cannot seem to get the board to allow me to start threads... HELP

It works once out of 10 attempts.. What is happening?
You might avoid the use of the word "DECAL".

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Now thats funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
You might avoid the use of the word "DECAL".
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
uwe

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
???? What am I missing?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
It's been a problem for many people for quite some time.

Get'r done.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Censorship Sucks

I can not start a thread either. Is it because I had the word "decal" in it many times? Censorship is big here. Well since I wrote the post and can't start a new thread I'll paste it here.

I am in disbelief that the Forum Decal thread has been disappeared by the moderators. With no explanation from any moderator, the decal thread with over 300 posts has been censored. Why? Not because there was any flaming or rude behavior but because 65GT was critical of Airstream Corp. I guess we are not going to be allowed to be critical of Airstream corp. I have the posts in my email notification and none were worthy of being censored. I have a hard time with the moderators of this forum using their power to censor a thread with 300 posts and did not cross the line in any way except to be critical of Airstream Corp. I guess it was censored so we wouldn't offend Tim. Censorship really ticks me off and rubs me the wrong way.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I can post new threads, but it takes a really wierd procedure to accomplish it. When I first hit "post" nothing happens. If I hit it again, it says something to the effect of "dummy, dummy, you are only allowed to post a new thread one time! Click here and stop bothering us with your lack of posting agility!" A check to the forum postings, however, will show that it did not in fact post.

Then I will click backwards through my history to the window where I drafted the text. I can then copy it to my clipboard, go back to the forum and click "Start a new thread" a second time. I will dump in the info from my clipboard and add in a new title. This time it will post.

Go figure that one out, huh!

Mary
Old 03-31-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
To clarify, Andy responded to an inquiry by me about the decal thread with over 300 posts.

It was pulled down by Andy, the owner of this forum, because in his judgement, the "[thread] had deteroriated to a counter productive discussion."

Andy owns the server, so he has the right as the untimate "Buck Stops Here" person, to manage his domain the way he wants to manage it. I disagree that the discussion was counter productive. I believed it was an open and civil exchange of perceptions and differing opinions, and that no one was behaving badly.

Now, back to your regular programming....

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
I can post new threads, but it takes a really wierd procedure to accomplish it. When I first hit "post" nothing happens. If I hit it again, it says something to the effect of "dummy, dummy, you are only allowed to post a new thread one time! Click here and stop bothering us with your lack of posting agility!" A check to the forum postings, however, will show that it did not in fact post.

Then I will click backwards through my history to the window where I drafted the text. I can then copy it to my clipboard, go back to the forum and click "Start a new thread" a second time. I will dump in the info from my clipboard and add in a new title. This time it will post.

Go figure that one out, huh!

Mary
So, that is how to do it eh? I have taken to clicking back as you do, but I did not realize that trying again may work, so I had been adding it on to the end of other posts of mine, which is why often my posts seem to ramble from month to month and vary widely in topics through the thread... I will try your method, and if it doesn't work, I will post the intended comment somewhere else.

About censorship in Forums... It does suck, but the forum is not a public area, or commodity, so the owner, and their moderators can remove, alter or othewise change anything we care to put in here. It is actually a very difficult job being moderator of any forum - I have done it on other boards, and have a forum board of my own, where I administrate also... It is not much fun, sometimes, especially when people pick on me, for arbitrarily deleting something I did not like, or that contravened some regulation, or rule.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
To clarify, Andy responded to an inquiry by me about the decal thread with over 300 posts.

It was pulled down by Andy, the owner of this forum, because in his judgement, the "[thread] had deteroriated to a counter productive discussion."

Andy owns the server, so he has the right as the untimate "Buck Stops Here" person, to manage his domain the way he wants to manage it. I disagree that the discussion was counter productive. I believed it was an open and civil exchange of perceptions and differing opinions, and that no one was behaving badly.

Now, back to your regular programming....
Thanks David for the explanation. It would be nice that when a thread with 300 posts is not only locked but completely made to vanish, there would at least be an explanation from the powers. Especially when such thread was not uncivil or inappropiate. I guess we all just peons that do not rate a response.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
All I wanted to do was start a thread asking for people's experience in repairing trailer ruts in their yards.

I didn't use the word decal in my post, although maybe if I were to plan a decal I might get lots of interest in the rut thread.

Able to edit just fine, maybe 65GT has angered the forum gods.

Am I going to be next?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
One thing I know is that the current setup only allows you 15 minutes to edit your response. I suppose it's a way to get us to stick to our words (and hopefully think about what we are going to write before posting).

Mary
Old 04-01-2005, 06:24 AM   #13
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
I'd kind of like to get back to the original query, too, since I also have had trouble starting new threads. About the only one that was successful was "Not Dubya" (a complaint of sorts about the "Dubya" thread). THe others were Airstream things, and none ever appeared.

Lynn
Old 04-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #14
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
I have had about 20 things I wanted to post, recently, and none made it. I have photographs, to put up too, and I can't get to my photo album... Grrrr