Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2004, 06:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Lightbulb Private Messaging SNAFUs

I just sent a lengthy Private Message to a fellow forum user and decided I'd post this topic to see anyone else experiences problems too...

Mind you, this is not a complaint. I just want the system to work better. Seems to me that the administrator(s) could make a couple of minor changes and my problems with the Private Message interface would be fixed.

Here are my issues:

1) Message length of 2000 characters: I find that a detailed description in a Private Message very often exceeds 2000 characters. There is no character count so you find out after hitting the "submit message" button that you exceeded the count. The new screen shows your original message BUT everything after 2000 characters has been truncated so you just lost some of your message (for good!). I end up drafting Private Messages in a text editor and cutting and pasting into two or three messages if the message is wordy.

Solution: Eliminate the limit or add a character counter and a warning on the original text input area. The interface does not mention the 2000 character limit until after you "submit message" It's too late, baby! You just lost all of your text in the original message after 2000 characters... Hope you have a good memory and typing skills.

2) Funny, the Administrator only allows a single message be sent every 60 seconds. Using the "fix" above where I cut and paste into a second or third message means that I have to wait in order to send the various parts of a long private message...

Solution: See #1. Eliminating the character count limit would solve this issue.

Anyhoo, these are my "beefs" with Private Messaging. Seems like such a good tool and so valuable to so many. Let's make it even better!!!!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I notice you have msn and yahoo and email. Can't those satisfy the urge for longer messages? Not being critical, just curious.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I have to agree with Alansd...
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Yes, I have Yahoo! Messenger and MSN Messenger but, as you both know, using such requires that all parties be online and have the same software programs installed. These are "chat" programs.

A Private Message is not an "instant message". A Private Message is an email usually in response to a question or comment from another forum user. Often, I will receive a Private Message hours or days after the sender has logged off and gone offline. Instant messaging is not useful in these situations, as you can surmise. Some folks prefer to keep their email addresses private and, accordingly, Private Messaging is a valuable tool.

The "fix" mentioned in my original post should be simple to initiate. Anyone who has drafted a long Private Message knows the issues well.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
The new screen shows your original message BUT everything after 2000 characters has been truncated so you just lost some of your message (for good!).
When this happens to me I go back to the previous page and the whole message is still there, just split it into smaller messages.

I agree, email the long ones.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
When this happens to me I go back to the previous page and the whole message is still there, just split it into smaller messages.

I agree, email the long ones.

John

Really? I must be missing something. Are you sure or are you pulling my leg? Frankly, I don't know how your browser could do this for you since you are working from cache.

I don't think it any big deal to take the limit off the Private Message length. Maybe it is but I doubt it. Maybe it's a storage issue... Andy? Wanna chime in?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Really? I must be missing something. Are you sure or are you pulling my leg? Frankly, I don't know how your browser could do this for you since you are working from cache.
Just tried it again and it works, I'm not pulling your leg, I have done it every time I get the 2k limit message.

John
Old 07-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Hmmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong.

That seems so elegant. Can you give me exact instructions and I will give it a try?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
FWIW, I too use the 'back' button then cut & paste the second half of my message into a second one...annoying, but not that big of a deal ~ most my private messages aren't that long.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
That seems so elegant. Can you give me exact instructions and I will give it a try?
Press the back button on your browser.

John
Old 07-15-2004, 08:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Just tried every conceivable manner to duplicate what you are doing.

I just drafted a 4000 character Private Message to John, submitted it and received the length error, hit the back button and it's the same as always, too long with no smaller messages as you depict... I am forced to cut and create a second Private Message in order send the whole thing.

Oh well.

Andy?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I am forced to cut and create a second Private Message in order send the whole thing.
Exaaaactly, that's what I do.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-15-2004, 09:58 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I notice you have msn and yahoo and email. Can't those satisfy the urge for longer messages? Not being critical, just curious.
Maybe you can PM the person, and ask for their email to send the longer message to. Since the limit seems to be non-fixable, this could be a good alternative.
Terry
Old 07-15-2004, 10:03 AM   #14
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
I changed the maximum characters for PMs to 5,000. I also reduced the floodcheck guard to allow messages to be sent every 30 seconds rather than every 60.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I am unsure what Shari is using,
Mozilla....

Shari

Old 07-15-2004, 10:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

I think we have a fix!!!!

Thanks, Andy!
Old 07-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #17
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Ho problem. Thanks for the feedback by everyone. There are only 480+ settings for the forum software alone. Over time we will surely have them all tweaked perfect.

Are you all ready for me to roll out the new Member Reputation/Karma system?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

You bet!!!!!

Thanks again, Andy. This is a great forum.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:49 AM   #19
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Thanks Organic Hosting for making the improvements.

I haven't experienced XRAY's problems except for on one occaision. I was only a few characters over, well, maybe closer to 100 characters over. I was able to edit it and keep resubmitting it until it finally processed. I do remember being somewhat frustrated with the whole thing; however.

I primarily just wanted take this opportunity to tell you that I really enjoy the forum. I wanted to say that I have gained so much reading its posts and I am not what you would exactly call a "newbie" in the world of Airstream or camping. This is my third Airstream. I have more than a decade of experience with Airstream trailers and perhaps 40 years of "camping experience" from wilderness expeditions where camping was done from the back of a horse for weeks at a time to pulling almost every conceivable type of recreational trailer. I've even had three pickup campers. But owning a product, or even engaging in the camping experience do not in any way make one an expert on many of the topics found here on the forum like diagnosing axle sag or frame rust. I never had the time nor inclination to make many repairs prefering to have someone else do it for me when it became evident that a repair was needed. That predisposes that I knew something needed to be done. Here, I can learn how to recognize problems, how to repair problems, how to prevent problems and in general how to better enjoy the Airstream experience. Granted sometimes one has to "glean" the information to some extent, but overall it has been so valuable for me now that I have the time and interest to partake to the extent that I can.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank you, Organic Hosting, as well as all of the moderators and all of the 5,000 plus participants in this Forum for making it available and of the quality that it is. Thanks again.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:55 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Andy!

« A new Record | Top | rivet »