Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
power washers

just purchased a power washer to use on a/s.
any ideas as to how to use effectively ?
my a/s is 2013 and has the coating on the skin and I don't want to ruin it.
what kind of soap to use ? bought what home deep hole had & after using there was a film left even tho I rinsed thoroughly. could be the water here in n.tx.
any advice?
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I don't recommend using it at all. The high pressure can force water into the seams and joints anyplace that might have a gap or weak spot in the sealant, resulting in water in the wall cavity and insulation. I'd stick to the regular pressure of a garden hose.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I use a bucket of water with Dawn or Palmolive dish washing soap and a long handled, soft bristle, RV brush. Garden hose with spray nozzle on the end.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I have a power washer I use for lots of things but I would never use it on any RV. I "hand wash" ( microfibre cleaning mitt on a extendable pole ) using "RV/Auto wash soap" mixed in a bucket of water. And just a gentle mist of rinsing with a hose end nozzle.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
I understand the above cautions, although I'm less familiar with AS than anyone here, hoping to buy our first soon. But the biggest issue to give thought to is the stream concentration, adjustment, of the nozzle.

I bought a simple electric pressure washer for $100 from Lowes reluctantly several years back. Didn't have high expectations but wasn't interested in the larger gasoline run engines for my needs either. What an incredible cleaning tool it has become!

We have big wrap around porches and I use it for cleaning the porches and handrails primarily. Also, concrete, wasp nest up high on house/garage, house windows, etc. but the main issue is not over doing it with the nozzle.

Or backing up of course accomplishing similar end result, less concentrated water spray. Be careful is my suggestion and practice using your new pressure washer on a less valuable surface first.

Whatever you do, don't put a concentrated spray on your sidewalk. Not unless you plan on spending remainder of the day making the rest of the sidewalk just as clean. Don't ask. Hah.

Shop Greenworks 1,600-PSI 1.2-GPM Cold Water Electric Pressure Washer at Lowes.com

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Well, years ago I was warned on this forum not to use a power washer on our Airstream. Despite that, I have been using one for 13 years on it without a single problem. Mine isn't the most powerful of machines and I do use common sense (uncommon sense?) regarding concentrating the spray on areas like window frames. I do not rely on the washer to get the trailer completely clean, rather wipe it down afterwards with damp microfiber cloths.

Maybe I should also mention that our Airstream has very, very little filiform corrosion. That surely has nothing to do with the power washer, but I thought I should mention it before that warning comes up.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used a power washer once. When I got the AS it had been in a barn for 3 or 4 years and had barn "dirt" in all the nooks and crannies. I kept the tip a minimum of 24" from the surface to flush out what couldn't be cleaned any other way. Worked out fine, but you have to be careful.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
No pressure on rivets or seams or decals!

Keep distance as mentions... Using a good marine or auto soap but mild batch of Dawn works really well, follow with a auto type that has shiny stuff made into it...

I use a soft Marine brush on a Marine grade extendable handle... No problems.

Of course we are "North" of the "wierd place"!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
power washer

thanks for all the comments & advise on using the power washer.
seems my problem might have been washing while the a/s was sitting in the hot tx. sun! should have done it first thing in the morning or later in the day.

don't understand what north of the weird place means? unless its n.of Washington d.c.?
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan hartman View Post
thanks for all the comments & advise on using the power washer.
seems my problem might have been washing while the a/s was sitting in the hot tx. sun! should have done it first thing in the morning or later in the day.

don't understand what north of the weird place means? unless its n.of Washington d.c.?
We are physically "North" of Austin... The "self-professed Wierd place". They sell bumper stickers.. "Keep Austin wierd"... True!

As for the "film"... I would try waxing an area...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote