Old 03-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yes...click any thread which will open it and then go to check your PMs. If you try to do it from the main screen, you'll get the oops 404 page that will send you right back.

Check out what I mean, since you are reading this you are in a thread, go to the upper right and click on private messages and you should get right through.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #30
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
More often than not, I am unable to start a thread, or get the too busy screen. This has made me come here less - I have things to say, and no way to say them.. I do not usually have any problem adding a reply, but starting threads is pointless most times.

Theo

Old 03-04-2005, 09:07 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I wonder if vBadvanced Inc released the forum software upgrade before all the bugs were worked out because the old version had a major security flaw. I remember Andy saying he had to upgrade because of the security issue. I imagine we will probably have to put up with the bugs for awhile until the next upgrade is available. (sad face smilie here if I could)

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:23 AM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That would make sense why we can't go back.

(added manually).
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I can only use the quick reply right now, the reply button gives me a box you can't type into.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
I just used the post reply. Has worked fine for us today. Not sure if that is what you meant by quick reply. Maybe there is something new for me to learn.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:03 PM   #35
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie

(added manually).
How did you manually do this? I'm on a mac and have tried and failed to post smilies...please share your secret!

I also get "server busy" and couldn't get in a few times...seems ok now though.

Barb
Old 03-05-2005, 06:18 AM   #36
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I can only use the quick reply right now, the reply button gives me a box you can't type into.
Alan,
I think it most be a moderator issue...Shari has been having the same problem...hehehe

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:21 AM   #37
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
How did you manually do this? I'm on a mac and have tried and failed to post smilies...please share your secret!

I also get "server busy" and couldn't get in a few times...seems ok now though.

Barb
Barb,
I assume this works on a Mac, but by manually you type in the code for the particular smilie...for example :-wink-: if you eliminate the dashes will give you a winking smilie. You will have to go to the edit/reply to figure out what the rest of them are... Or pehaps someone can post a list. They do vary from board to board.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-05-2005, 07:48 AM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I actually do both. For eek, I do what Aaron does...but for frown, or basic smiles I just do what I would do in an email and it converts it. For example "" "" "" would be in order colon+right paranth for regular smile, colon+ left paranth for frown an big smile colon+capital letter D.

This reminds me of why I always bitch about teaching kids at school the manual ways folks did things so that when the technology fails, they actually know how things work. Not really on subject, but I find that with all the shortcuts in life (calculators, computers, GPS, cell, etc) it always amazes me how when we do have an outage (though rare), how we all still try to turn the light switch by habit or when our network goes down at work (also rare--better be I run it! ) how all things seem to come to a complete stop as if folks forgot how to use a pencil and paper. Soapbox off.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #39
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
This reminds me of why I always bitch about teaching kids at school the manual ways folks did things so that when the technology fails, they actually know how things work. how all things seem to come to a complete stop as if folks forgot how to use a pencil and paper. Soapbox off.

I agree completely! Many, many, moons ago when I was learning basic construction they would not let us use the pneumatic air nailers until we learned how to use a hammer and use them we did. We built 2 complete houses using all manual hand tools, and I do mean all no electric saws either

If you can do a good job using manual tools you can do an excellent job using the labor saving devices....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #40
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Lightbulb memories of a simpler life...back to basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Many, many, moons ago when I was learning basic construction ....
That's true in many circumstances I guess. I have to teach student pilots how to navigate with a compass and a watch and then they buy a GPS and never look back. Also, I remember my first internet class...we spent 4 days learning (yawning through)FTP, TELNET etc and then the instructor showed us the Mosaic web browser. Of course we all knew instantly that surfing was an awsome tool

Nobody has mentioned this bug yet: I haven't been able to get into anybody's photo album for at least a week.

Finally: could somebody please briefly explain the economics of this forum? The owner makes money from the side bar ads right? That's why membership is free?

Thanks,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:40 AM   #41
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Steve,
Funny you should mention piloting...My brother inlaw and wife's uncle are both excellent pilots. Uncle is a retired 757 pilot but has fleet of small antique aircraft that he flies...BIL has a Cessna 142. He learned how to fly the old fashioned way...seat of the pants on a tail dragger. It has saved his hide a couple of times. Now he is 3rd seat on a C-130 on the mideastern tour.

Andy, Organic Hosting, that owns the board does other hosting as well as the ads. Once in a while a collection will be collected to buy a needed piece of equipment for this board...but only if he asks. This board is a labor of love for him. He is a vintage owner too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I am having/have had these problems for about a week now....can't post a new thread.

The people on the Open Roads Forum are generally not as knowledgeable about Airstreams but once I a while in have a "generic" question and that forum functions OK.

So is it busy here? Is that the problem?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote