Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Who would like to see Campground Reviews be filterable by state?
Yes! It would be a great help. 46 83.64%
No, it makes no difference. 1 1.82%
There is a Campground Review section? 9 16.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Poll: Campground Reviews by State?

Who would use "Campground Reviews" more if it listed campgrounds by state?
I certainly would! I find it basically annoying to have to read through each review to even find mention of a state!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Ditto!

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

I agree. It could be so useful if it was set up by state. Not useful at all right now.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
I would use that!

absolutely a fabulous idea. I agree the current is not super user friendly.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Pretty much anything would be better than the currently way it is set up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Campground Review

Searching by state would be extremely helpful.

I find the format for submitting a review awkward as well.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Funny,
I really thought this Poll would generate more interest. I was hoping to use this to generate a little pressure on "those in charge" to ask for the change.
Bruce
Old 03-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We just don't use Campground Reviews.

Too much like work, doing all that research and extreme planning. It's just not that important to us. Close our blinds and we are home.

We pick campgrounds mostly day-by-day, going from public on our CampWhere app to Passport America to Trailer Life Directory-----based on location, first, cost and amenities as a close second. Water, electric and showers are our priorities most of the time, and $20 or less per night whenever possible.

If we are heading to a more populated area for a few days of sightseeing, we look a bit more carefully, but seldom at reviews. KOA's and Good Sam campgrounds are pretty reliably good.

Keep It Simple Sweetie.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Campground reviews are important to me. I usually check available reviews, when I can find any, for campgrounds in the areas I plan to visit.

Like most bosses, mine doesn't like his employees taking time off at the spur of the moment unless it's an emergency. And— go figure— camping is not an emergency. So, I have to plan every trip far in advance.

I would hate to waste any of my precious vacation time looking for alternate accommodations at the last minute, so the two things I dread are: (1) campgrounds that aren't worth staying at after all; (2) campgrounds that are already full before I get there.

So for me, reviews and reservations are both required; at least until I retire and don't have to camp according to a schedule anymore.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We just don't use Campground Reviews.

Too much like work, doing all that research and extreme planning. It's just not that important to us. Close our blinds and we are home.

We pick campgrounds mostly day-by-day, going from public on our CampWhere app to Passport America to Trailer Life Directory-----based on location, first, cost and amenities as a close second. Water, electric and showers are our priorities most of the time, and $20 or less per night whenever possible.

If we are heading to a more populated area for a few days of sightseeing, we look a bit more carefully, but seldom at reviews. KOA's and Good Sam campgrounds are pretty reliably good.

Keep It Simple Sweetie.

Maggie
Hi Maggie,
We love Ft DeSoto, our winter trip south has always revolved around a stay there. It used to be tent camping, now it is with our Airstream. That is a pretty tough place to get into (with a great site) on a day by day basis! We reserve a few places in advance (sometimes 11 months!) and then fill in as we wander around between reservations. The problem is we want to avoid the KOA's or Good Sam's of the world. We'd rather find the great State,County and National parks. We want to find the off path little known jewels and for that we need to read of other peoples thoughts. We use the AllStays app on the iPads to get an idea of what people are thinking but there is a wealth of collective knowledge here on the forums that would be nice to tap into without starting a new thread, or searching every time you venture into a new area.

It was your advice on the Alumolina 2013 thread that lead us to Edisto (pronounced Ed-i Stow, thank you very much Henry!) and although I could have stumbled onto that with the app I might not have without your direction.

This site has reviews, it is just that they are impossible to search through in any meaningful way. I would place more importance on your advice (a good review of Edisto for example) than to one found online or through an app!

I am simple sweetie!

Bruce
Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, we all take a bit of a different path, and it's all good.

Do you have the CampWhere app, Bruce? On Ipad, Iphone or droid? It is really excellent for public sites, and we have found some lovely spots that way. Others, not always so lovely but perhaps $3-$4 a night.

Also hear good things about AllStays app, although more expensive, also has public campgrounds.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I already use campgroundreviews.com which has been around for years, so it has quite a data base, and it is set up by State and is fully searchable.

I think setting the same thing up on AIR would be fine but kind of a duplicative effort. Not to mention that it would be quite a while before we had a useable number of reviews.

Just my 2 cents

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Campground reviews are important to me. I usually check available reviews, when I can find any, for campgrounds in the areas I plan to visit.

Like most bosses, mine doesn't like his employees taking time off at the spur of the moment unless it's an emergency. And— go figure— camping is not an emergency. So, I have to plan every trip far in advance.

I would hate to waste any of my precious vacation time looking for alternate accommodations at the last minute, so the two things I dread are: (1) campgrounds that aren't worth staying at after all; (2) campgrounds that are already full before I get there.

So for me, reviews and reservations are both required; at least until I retire and don't have to camp according to a schedule anymore.
We do make reservations at times, not meaning to say we don't nor to dis those who are much more planful than we.....most of the time. .

Reservations are critical some times and some places. That said, we seldom include reading campground reviews to find the best spot. We have found this can lead to lots of disappointment, as what is good for one isn't necessarily so for us. A subjective process.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
That said, we seldom include reading campground reviews to find the best spot. We have found this can lead to lots of disappointment, as what is good for one isn't necessarily so for us. A subjective process.
True, reviews are always subjective. But I know what I'm looking for in a campground, and if the review doesn't cover what I want to know, I discard the review and go looking for another.

Reviews that just say, "Hey, it's a great place!" without saying WHY the reviewer thinks it's so great, are worthless.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We used to use RV Park Reviews online and found that site to be quite useful, particularly to avoid the really "nasty" CG's, and to find those reasonably priced. NOW, we use the ALLSTAYS Camp and RV App, which enables one to "find a CG on the fly", note the CG rates, read reviews, and NAVIGATE to that site.....

All with one app! Zigi

Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I like reading the reviews however it would be more user friendly if it was done by state.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote