Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Thumbs down Political Ads

I OBJECT to the political ads appearing here. They should be removed immediately. This forum is not about politics, it's about Airstreaming and having fun with friends.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Political ads?

Guess I'm not spending enough time on here, I haven't seen them.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I don't know if they can really control it... the ads get served up by Google... the fact that political discussions DO happen here probably makes their ad-bot serve those kinds of ads. It's not random - they base the ad-serve on your browsing/search/gmail history - so if you go to GM.com, you are likely going to see some car ads. On some level, it is quite scary...
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP: I totally agree. Hopefully the administrators can do something to block them. Unless there is profit being made then I would not count on it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
What ads? I just see the forum. There aren't any ads at the top or sides of the page.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Old 09-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This is out of our hands. Mods do keep political discussions from getting any airtime. Otherwise Friday has the gist of it.

Google places their ads based on multiple criteria. And these vary by region. I bet members not in swing states aren't seeing many political ad buys. Some observations on ad-placing criteria:
  • Topics covered by the forum (I'm seeing an Allstate ad and a mattress ad and any number of RV topics)
  • General ads (eg, a new car model or credit card or political ad)
  • Ads targeted at cookies on your computer (eg, note how many ads are for items you've searched on or browsed recently; eg, electronics, cameras, books, travel. Stay away from those duckling in lingerie sites!)

We have seen gun advocacy ads (general interest) or a very few PG-13 saucy ads that tickle the edge of our Community Rules. There seems to be a Google AdWords filter to control ratings and therefore I've never heard of anything X worthy.

We have not felt it practical to remove a few gun advocacy ads we've seen. Restricting one ad buyer would not prevent a different buyer (election committee, party or PAC) from distributing a different political ad. That will all be over in 6 weeks. So AIR finds itself in the same position as 'The Good Wife' (and just as popular I dare say) -- watching the program doesn't give us control over the ad content.

Some of us might go through this election period without seeing a single political ad. Randy, if you don't want to publicize by posting a screen shot (PrtSc on a PC, then paste into something like paint, save as a jpeg), you could always send a copy of what you see on the screen to us through the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. We could review it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Closed Thread