Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Picture limit

I tried posting a pic to one of my threads and got a message that I was @over limit" by 128k or something similar in file size.

What did I do to cause this error?

Thanks in advance.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The file size for your photo is determined by the resolution selected on your camera. Most Web sites restrict image file size, because high resolution photos take up a lot of disk space; and the larger file size doesn't necessarily improve display quality.

The easiest way to reduce file size is to use a screen capture program to make a low resolution copy of the original photo. (Alternately, you can use a graphics program to reduce the resolution. However, most normal users don't have a sophisticated graphics program like Adobe Photoshop, because they are too expensive for the casual user.)

If you have a PC running Windows 7, there's a free program called "Snipping Tool" in the Accessories folder. (For other operating systems, use HELP and search for "screen capture".) Use this program to do a low resolution "screen capture" of the photo you want to upload, by performing the following:

1. Open and view the photo using Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Photo Viewer, or whatever default image viewing program you normally use.

2. Adjust the size of the photo to the approximate size you wish for it to appear on screen when it's embedded in text.

3. Using the screen capture program, select the desired area of the photo you wish to upload and capture the new image. By default, the resolution of the captured image should be around 72 dpi, which is fine for onscreen viewing and most likely considerably lower than the resolution of the original image file.

4. Save the new captured image in a convenient temporary location on your PC. (You don't need to save this file after uploading it, since you still have the original file; and the original is higher resolution and more suited for printing.)

5. Check the file size of the new temporary image file. It will probably be around 50-100 kbytes, which will be small enough to upload; and it will display onscreen the same as the original file. However, if you actually print this file, the photo will be significantly reduced in size. That's why you will probably want to erase this temporary file (after uploading it), and retain the original.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Apparently I am "over quota"

Does that change with paid membership?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If I remember right there is no way to delete photos from the Airforums server. Your only option is to upgrade your membership to supporting member status which has no limit.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I put my photos in "The cloud" (Google Plus in this case but it can be any on-line storage) and just post a link; no storage issue at all.

Voila!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S...4x768%255D.JPG

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I put my photos in "The cloud" (Google Plus in this case but it can be any on-line storage) and just post a link; no storage issue at all.

Voila!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S...4x768%255D.JPG
Also, if you use the "Insert Image" link (looks like a yellow square with little overlapping triangles at the bottom) you can use remote photos sites like Google+, photobucket, flickr, etc. and have the photo show up inline with your post, like so:

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks everyone!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Also, if you use the "Insert Image" link (looks like a yellow square with little overlapping triangles at the bottom) you can use remote photos sites like Google+, photobucket, flickr, etc. and have the photo show up inline with your post, like so:
Gosh and darn it, that's what I meant to do, I just clicked on the Link symbol instead of the picture. Both work, though

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote