Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
2 Cents
If they (PayPal)could not verify you are who you say you are and that you have the money to pay for a item (bank account and credit card backup)..Why or how would they in good faith allow someone to be a member.They have to be able to chase someone down should they bolt with someones money or product(reason for verification)I have used PayPal For over 10 years with no problems.I have paid for a few items that were not as described and in one case I never got the item (I was ripped off) PayPal took care of everything even refunded the money on the items.I personally do not know anyone who has had any problems with Pay Pal.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
I agree that the "verify" process is necessary to ensure that members are indeed who they say they are.

You can always change the source of the payment to be one of your other registered credit cards (I always use AMEX).

PayPal has come through for me in the past, getting refunds for purchase problems on eBay.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I disagree. There is already security for the consumer built into the Visa and Mastercard systems. The verification process simply opens another avenue for sensitive data to be exploited by the would be criminal. The only reason for this "added" level of protection is for PayPal, not the cardholder. The verification process gets them off the hook for the first $100 (or whatever their agreement with the processor says) of any fraudulent charges. Sometimes, too much of a good thing is just that.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
I disagree. There is already security for the consumer built into the Visa and Mastercard systems. The verification process simply opens another avenue for sensitive data to be exploited by the would be criminal. The only reason for this "added" level of protection is for PayPal, not the cardholder. The verification process gets them off the hook for the first $100 (or whatever their agreement with the processor says) of any fraudulent charges. Sometimes, too much of a good thing is just that.
Actually, one of the main reasons to get your bank account info is so they don't get hit with the 3-4% fees for the transactions. The only added protection is to their profit margin.

Now, since this seems to be a hot topic, maybe the moderators can split the thread so we can all slam PayPal, and the OP can get her answer...
Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
ebay owns PP, it's a money machine for them, their security has been compromised more than once, don't shop EB any more & never used PP....skeptical old fart I guess.

I think the answer still stands....the Forums does use PP if you like, it's the CC system that's temporally down.
AF #1
"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
It's the way things are

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
I agree that the "verify" process is necessary to ensure that members are indeed who they say they are.

You can always change the source of the payment to be one of your other registered credit cards (I always use AMEX).

PayPal has come through for me in the past, getting refunds for purchase problems on eBay.
I agree 100%

I have dealt with PayPal; since shortly after they started. I often choose PayPal over other available methods because of their excellent buyer protection.

It is part of the 21st century. Internet banking transactions are the normal.

If you are that concerned about your bank account number, open a separate account in which you keep just enough money to handle transactions with on-line sites that you are suspicious of, which in the OP's case obviously includes PayPal.

Here is how our family handles our finances.

99% of our purchases and expenses are paid by credit card. We have several credit card accounts. Each one refunds at least 1% of our purchases back to us. Most of the time by picking the proper card for any given purchase, we are refunded more than that (up to 5%). (try to get that return with a savings account today) We never charge more than we can pay off each month (with the exception of large items which we must finance), and never get a credit card that has an annual fee. When we pay a credit card, it is done on-line and the money is electronically transferred from one of our checking accounts.

Credit card companies (generally banks) are very responsive and quickly rectify erroneous or false charges.

I feel that my checking accounts numbers are much safer than they would be if I was going around town giving my checks (which contains bank name, routing number and account number) to every Tom, Dick, or Harry that I owed money to or bought something from. I would have just given every one of them all the info they would need on my checking account to allow them to defraud me.

When I buy or pay something with PayPal, I use one of the few credit cards that I have on file. That way I get money back on each purchase there also. If you are concerned about their reliability, just limit the amount of your money they have access to with a separate account.

Regards,

Ken
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Exclamation You have been heard

I have brought this issue to the attention of the administrators, and as soon as there is a clear answer, I will see that it is posted here.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of the company, your support is highly appreciated.

Aage
Old 08-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #22
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
You can pay with a credit card without having to login and use PayPal. To do so follow the normal upgrade process but click on the link that allows you to pay with a credit card as a guest (see attachment).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-30-2011 7-49-06 PM.png
Views:	84
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	139095  
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #23
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Why don't you just send a check?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker View Post
OK folks , I really do understand that I can "get verified" at PP by giving my bank info, but I choose not to.

I want to know if the forum takes some other form of payment like credit card or even a money order mailed to them instead of PP.

BTW- Those that have given their banking info may want to google problems people have had on this issue. Esp. getting no customer service to straighten out the problem which of course is usually getting them to put your money back into your account.

'shaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
Tried doing as you suggest but it didn't work. I was told by an administrator there was a bug in the system.
Quote:
I am happy that you are happy with the gestapo tactics of getting verified. I refuse to be forced to get a credit card I do not want or need. I am very happy with the 1 card I have had for 20 yrs. Access to my bank account is definitely not going to happen.

I would like to know what other options I have to maintain my supporting status on the forum. I am not interested in taking a poll on support or lack thereof re: PP policy.

Thank you anyway,

'shaker
Quote:
I have dumped PP after they started requiring "getting verified". Translation - either I give them access to my bank account ( not going to happen) or I obtain their credit card ( NOT!!).

What other options do I have for maintaining my supporting status with out PayPal?

Thanks,

'shaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
You can pay with a credit card without having to login and use PayPal. To do so follow the normal upgrade process but click on the link that allows you to pay with a credit card as a guest (see attachment).

Y'all satisfied straight answer from the top

Bob
AF #1
"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Post #22 is your answer :)

Andy R has now clarified a solid alternative to the question of paying with PayPal. The only two methods that the Airforums.com system will handle is PayPal, or your regular credit card. If you are not comfortable with one, please feel free to use the other, in the manner he describes above.

PayPal is an accepted method of electronic payment, used daily by many people. It is offered to you as a convenience, but you do have a valid alternative.

Thanks for your continued support!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have used Pay Pal for quite a while with no problems. I used it last night too. I have never been forced into being verified. It has been suggested, but not made mandatory. [I'm not verified]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 AM   #27
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Drink the Kool-Aid

PayPal has come to my aid at times for items not shipped or problems with seller.
I feared it at first also, sent MO from USPS, wasted time and $, but finally caved and joined.
So looking back, it is a good system for buyers... I don't sell, so don't know about that end.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Actually, the criticisms of PayPal in this thread resulted in positive advice on how to use PayPal, how to limit your financial exposure when using bank accounts with PayPal, reasons you may not want to use PayPal at all, etc. I gained something from the critical discussion.