Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Feeling better with a stronger password

So after I changed and made my password stronger on Toyota RAV4 Forums, I went to do the same at AirForums. Doing this was long overdue, since I hadn't changed my password since I joined 10 years ago, but it was important to do since we now live in a world with daily cyber-security issues. I was a bit rusty on how to change my password on AirForums, but once I did it, I felt better... and it was easy and here's how I did it:

1. Sign in to AirForums with your current password.
2. Near the top is a dark blue toolbar that has the words "User CP, Clubs, Venders," etc.
3. Click on "User CP"
4. Under the column "YOUR CONTROL PANEL" scroll down to "Settings & Options"
5. Click on "Edit Email and Password"
6. Enter your password, new password, confirmation of new password and click on "Save Changes."
7. Feel better!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:41 AM   #16
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Here a quick tip about passwords. I know we have a lot, and it is recommend not to have the same passwords. But we all tend to forget. Here are some basics:

1. Uppercase, Lowercase, number and special character is the minimum via 8-10 digits.
2. To help remember use a cypher. For example: Your BFF in Ohio High School was Johnny and YOU played soccer, jersey number 21: So your password cypher can be something like this:
Hsbfsoccer! which your actual password is Ohiojohnny21! - It can be whatever you want it to be. So in your contacts, you put the place of your password. So you can say Bank (don't specify which bank) then inside the contacts, in the notes section, you put the cypher.
3. Here is the breakdown of the cypher Capital 'H' to remind you the first letter is CAPs, it can be where ever of course.
4. Hs should remind you of High School, Ohio
5. bf should remind you of your BFF Johnny
6. soccer should remind you of the jersey number
7. '!' exclamation point to let you know of the special character at the end.

I hope this helps you remember the every confusing password requirements.

"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Password protection or more importantly data and identity protection via passwords is in crisis mode right now. Millions of attacks on systems ever day. Our son and our daughter both work in this field for different companies and each company is "hit" by hackers literally a million or more times per day.

A good solid VPN can help individuals the same as it helps major companies so I would suggest folks look into a VPN for their home and travel computers. Then in addition as my IT folks when I worked always had me have everyone with a computer change their passwords monthly - those who did not change could not log in after 31 days. We had millions of attacks, or so I was told, but no breaches and no lose of data, so I was told as my knowledge of such things goes back to trying to find a clean phone booth in Newark NJ as a new sales person.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Password protection or more importantly data and identity protection via passwords is in crisis mode right now. Millions of attacks on systems ever day...

A good solid VPN can help individuals the same as it helps major companies so I would suggest folks look into a VPN for their home and travel computers. Then in addition as my IT folks when I worked always had me have everyone with a computer change their passwords monthly - those who did not change could not log in after 31 days...

Bud
"VPN" is a virtual private network.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Protecting your password from hackers

In the news today: The Economic Times, June 29, 2016:

"Six steps to protect your password from hackers"
Old 06-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #20
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Lots of good advice here about passwords and security. Just a simple reminder to use unique passwords at various places, most especially banking and similar sites. At the forum we don't store any financial info about members or paypal logins, etc but it merits saying again that you need to be careful everywhere.

As a side note - I have wondered about the merits of leaving my camper unlocked when parked at home. I might rather lose the contents than have the door damaged...

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I'm more worried about collateral damage to the AS if I don't aim just right...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
There's a bunch of good password managers out there. I especially like Dashlane since it can sync across different platforms (iPhone, Windows, Mac, etc.) and it works well. Many of the password managers will automatically generate random passwords using whatever combination of letters, numbers and symbols is required. Not only do these tools increase your security by allowing you to generate strong individual passwords for each site, they save time by completing login fields automatically.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
There's a bunch of good password managers out there. I especially like Dashlane since it can sync across different platforms (iPhone, Windows, Mac, etc.) and it works well. Many of the password managers will automatically generate random passwords using whatever combination of letters, numbers and symbols is required. Not only do these tools increase your security by allowing you to generate strong individual passwords for each site, they save time by completing login fields automatically.
Dashlane is included in CNET's report on the best password managers:

CNET Tech Minute: Best password managers
Old 07-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
When paswords should be changed

I was surprised to learn that current research indicates that I do not have to regularly or frequently change my password as long as it is a strong password*, not used on multiple websites, and has not been compromised (via malware, phishing, hacking, data breach, etc.)!

FTC Chief Technologist, Lorrie Cranor, in her article, "Time to rethink mandatory password changes," March 2, 2016, says, "there is a lot of evidence to suggest that users who are required to change their passwords frequently select weaker passwords to begin with, and then change them in predictable ways that attackers can guess easily. Unless there is reason to believe a password has been compromised or shared, requiring regular password changes may actually do more harm than good in some cases."

*Regarding a strong password, Lorrie says, "You can generally achieve pretty good security and reasonable usability with a password that is about 12 characters long and has 3 different "character classes" (uppercase, lowercase, digit, symbol). It is best for non-lowercase letters to be placed somewhere other than the beginning and end of the password." (From her comment under the article cited above).

Current thinking on when passwords should be changed:

1. You have a weak password.
2. You are using the same password on multiple websites.
3. Your password was compromised (see above).
4. If it makes you feel better!

Old 07-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Absolutely. Use a longish password that is hard to guess. It does not have to be random. A few different short English words strung together with numbers and a symbol is hard to guess. The trick is to make it as long as a site will put up with...

I made my living as a paid paranoid in the computer security end of the business. Still do.

Paranoid.. or reasonably concerned... A new, chilling documentary about the rise and acceleration of cyber-warfare opened today and sheds light on an issue that some do not want to talk about.

PBS NEWSHOUR covered this story last evening: "'Zero Days,' a detective story about the cyber warfare arms race."

Zero Days (2016)

Old 08-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
A passphrase may be better than a password!

A Washington Post story of August 11, 2016, "There's a new way to make strong passwords, and it's way easier," reports that a new standard is emerging for passwords, which emphasizes less complexity in favor of length.

Instead of a password that has an incomprehensible string of letters, numbers and symbols that are hard to remember, a unique passphrase that you make up can be harder for hackers to crack, while being easier to remember.

For example, the story says, "Passwords that once looked like this:
W@5hPo5t!, can now be this:mycatlikesreadinggarfieldinthewashingtonpost."

See the full article linked above or here!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Password strength and security

Yup. Exactly. A long concatenation of upper and lowercase words plus a couple numbers and/or symbols if the system requires them is easier to remember and a lot harder to guess.

Had a friend that used a long line of poetry in Vietnamese to make his passwords. Uncrackable, easy for him to remember. He did type his password for quite a long time, but according to my logs, he never blew it.

The complexity of a password is not the key to its strength. The length and lack of repeats is the true measure.

CISSP hat on...I do this stuff for a living.

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Shifting from passwords to passphrases

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. Exactly. A long concatenation of upper and lowercase words plus a couple numbers and/or symbols if the system requires them is easier to remember and a lot harder to guess.

Had a friend that used a long line of poetry in Vietnamese to make his passwords. Uncrackable, easy for him to remember. He did type his password for quite a long time, but according to my logs, he never blew it.

The complexity of a password is not the key to its strength. The length and lack of repeats is the true measure.

CISSP hat on...I do this stuff for a living.

Thanks, rmkrum, CISSP, for your note! (CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Professional)

Edward Snowden says the best advice here is to shift your thinking from passwords to passphrases:

Edward Snowden on Passwords