Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

2008 27' International CCD FB
Essex , Massachusetts
Outside LP hook-up

Has anyone put a "T" in their LP line so they can run an outside grill?
I think it could be put in where the flexible hose from the tank
connects to the hard lines. Any thoughts good or bad?
Thanks
Phil 44468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I know the newer streams have this option mounted just below the tanks on the a frame. I believe that it is a quick disconnect which is a handy feature. I know the parts could be purchased online for around $100.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Phil the kit is called extend-a-flow.
Propane Adapter - Extend A Flow Kit on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 44468 View Post
Has anyone put a "T" in their LP line so they can run an outside grill?
I think it could be put in where the flexible hose from the tank
connects to the hard lines. Any thoughts good or bad?
Thanks
Yes. I have the extend-a-flow. If you get one there are two things you want to be sure of:

1) Get the one with the Acme (OPD) threaded connectors.
2) Get the one with a right angle. The straight one won't fit under the tank covers.

This works for me and I have, I think, a 12' hose with it that can reach to the pickup tailgate. I also have a portable folding table I use to hold up the grill, which is a tabletop model. Or it can go on the ground.

One thing to watch is that liquid propane can accumulate in the line if you leave it hooked up overnight, because the line temperature will be lower than the tank temperature. This can cause all kinds of problems if you run the grill the next day -- regulator frosting up and all kinds of things. So you want to disconnect it whenever you're done with it.

Be careful storing the high pressure line as it has a fair amount of propane in it. I make it a point to run the grill until it runs out before storing.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Jammer,

What you are describing I believe is the extend-a-flow PLUS which has the Acme and right angle connection. Do you attach it to the first tank? And when the regulator does a switch over, do you move it to the second tank? I assume you are after high pressure so the connection is before the regulator.

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
I always keep it on the curb side tank. It won't fit on the street side unless I replace the regulator pigtail with a longer one because of the "handedness" of the tee (If you imagine holding the tee in your right hand the tank connection is at your fingers, the regulator connection is at your wrist, and the grill connection is at your thumb. If it's on the street side the grill connection points down where you can't get at it unless you have the regulator connection pointed away from the regulator, where you need a longer pigtail to reach). The way the regulator is designed a small amount of propane can pass from the "non pointed to" tank to the "pointed to tank" so as long as I don't flip the regulator "pointer" until I'm ready to remove the tank, I can leave the tee where it is. I suppose I could swap the curbside and streetside tanks but in practice that's never been necessary.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #7

2008 27' International CCD FB
Essex , Massachusetts
I don't belive the response to my question. Thank you all very much!!
I just bought what I needed from PPL and it was on sale for $61.00.
I'm all set to hit the road.

Thanks again everyone
Phil 44468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 44468 View Post
I don't belive the response to my question. Thank you all very much!!
I just bought what I needed from PPL and it was on sale for $61.00.
I'm all set to hit the road.

Thanks again everyone
I think you'd better call PPL and change your order. Jammer wisely pointed out that you need the kit for newer acme fittings and the elbow is needed to fit under the covers. Here is the link to that kit:

Propane Tank Adapter - Extend a Flow Kit on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Hmm, they do make it confusing to get the right one. The one I have has two acme connections, and doesn't seem to be on the ppl website. I think I got it from AdventureRV, though I don't shop from them any more after running into some shipping delays once.

Acme Extend-A-Flow Tee Adapter RV Camper - $39.99