Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb Obvious Holes in Forum (Model & Year Sections)

This is in regards to the individual model and year forum.

I have asked that a section be created for the 1974 Excella. I was told by one of the moderators of those sections that only the owner, Andy can make that happen.
I hope he will agree to get to that soon.

But why not just put the sections there for _ALL_ the missing models & years.
Many posters I am willing to bet, will not request the section if it is not there. Many just post the data they have somewhere else on forums.

If I am correct 1974 and 1969 and 198_?_ were sea-change years for Airstream. i.e. years when great changes were made from the past. Yet there are many 74 models not represented in the section.

I am one of a few that have worried that this forum is getting very confusing with 100s of new threads per week many mis-named or misplaced and many redundant or that could better serve if attached to existing threads. I predict that we will one day wish for relief from the maze we are creating. I already have problems with some searches.
One small step to better organize would be a complete selection of model/year sections.
And some reminders to all to use them only if the subject was almost exclusive about that particular model. I think what I mean is easy enough to understand.
I love this place as do many of us, but let us not get complacent that it is perfect and that un-sheparded growth is all good.
Go up to Charlotte N.C. and look at the Sprawl and most other areas of the country too.
Without some more zoning we will soon have forum sprawl!

$&V
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I can tell you that Andy is aware of this issue and there have been plans made to reorganize the trailer forum. Bottom line Andy has a business and things that need to be done and the forum has to fit into those times that he has available.

Most of the moderators attempt to keep things on track but again we are volunteers and some of us have jobs also, so we do the best we can. I know I have moved things out of some specific year trailer threads when the topic is general in nature.

Also note that your moderators have certain forums where their "powers" are applicable. For example I can do things within the trailer forum but not in other forums. So if something is out of place in the off-topic forum for example, the moderator of that forum must do the housekeeping since I have no moderator powers there.

Hopefully this explains a little of what goes on. Please feel free to contact any of the moderators if you see something misplaced. You will find our names next to the forum listings once you hit the forum button at the top of this page.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Well it has been almost a month and I would like say that the request has been granted.

Not so.
Do I at least not deserve the courtesy of a reply from Organic Andy?
I don't understand why the separate forum moderators wouldn't be given the authority to perform such logical tasks. Trust your delegates Andy, as you know they seem to have the best interests of your enterprise in mind and many are very computer savy as you surely know. We know about being busy and they are busy sometimes too, but the more fixers the quicker the fix sometimes.

If my count is right there are 59 specified model forums that have never been used or posted to even once. Why not sub the ones that might be requested for some of those that have sat there for 2 years vacant. If you are restricted due to not having any more capacity.

If it is a software impossibility or if it requires expertise not available, just say so and we'll understand.

Thanks in advance
$&V
Old 02-13-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
S&V

I was not aware that Airsteam made an Excella in 1974.

At the time the forum was designed/laid out we tried to hit them all, but missed a few. At this time we have identified the ways that they should be grouped so that there is less confusion of where the proper place is to post.

It is not an impossibility, and the program will support it, but a plan to migrate that much data has to be developed so that we are sure to not lose any as well as place it in a format that will better serve the members.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
S&V
I was not aware that Airsteam made an Excella in 1974.
At the time the forum was designed/laid out we tried to hit them all, but missed a few.* At this time we have identified the ways that they should be grouped so that there is less confusion of where the proper place is to post.
It is not an impossibility, and the program will support it, but a plan to migrate that much data has to be developed so that we are sure to not lose any as well as place it in a format that will better serve the members.
Say What!
Are you a former Clinton staffer*or an independent Spin Doctor?
Did you doubt that I was telling the truth about having a 1974 Excella 500 months ago when I first posted.?
Migration of how much data
Do you expect there to be thousands of posts to the 74 Excella section? Doesn't seem to bother you folks when it is reems of off subject blather about someone's dog or BlewBeret yap, or how much beer some bloke can swig, or when so & so quit sharing a bed with their mate or how silly a Japaneese poet one wants to be. How many of the 4000 plus who are members here belong to that dinosoar WBCCI anyway?
But when we request plain good no nonsense accomodations, which you just admitted was do-able we are handed a wagonload of bull.
If you think a section for all models would break the bank or cause the loss of established threads then just open ones that are specifically asked for. Close some that no one has shown any interest in.
Brett you have done a very good job around here and seem to always be ready to help with many differnt matters but your above excuse is just too slick to hold water.It's a dodge.
Are you now the designated point man when Andy doesn't want to answer a question?
I read long ago that Inside Out was revamping the whole section. Then just like the membership stickers the whole subject went silent. No explanation, nothing. It is always manana in some parts of the world. Cyber and real apparently.
As for how to group things Gosh Fellas is it brain surgery to possibly consider chronologically that is by year,,,HELLO!
Sorry to have to put it so bluntly but you have just insulted both of us. In fact we have waited weeks to reply, considered leaving forums altogether, then decided your brush-off wasn't going to dictate our style or enjoyment.
Why don't you butch up and just put it in honest English.* You dont' like our straight talk and so you are not going to grant our wishes. Your double talk explanation is just what this place does not need. Seems that is alot of the problem that is killing your beloved Byam club also.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Andy provides this forum free of charge. I'm sure he can give you a full refund if you'd like. Andy (Free service) and the Moderators (free donation of their time) do a great job with this Forum.

I'm sorry that this Forum isn't everything just as you'd like it. This is still, by far, the best place on the Internet for Airstream information.

FYI - There are no model/year sections for the motor homes yet we get by somehow.

The moderators are nice guys trying to be nice. Since you requested plain English with no spin - Quit Whining, It's FREE! Please go and enjoy the forums.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Fred spare us your drool.

We have read it all before. Its Free, every body volunteers, yadda yadda yadda. So is that the path to mediocrity or worse..? You better believe it.

You call us whiners we call you a tail kisser. And that is putting it mildly.
Touche.

You obviously are an officer in the "circle the wagon" brigade.

We have been generous (but not gushing) in our praise and appreciation of all who have put this forums together, and none of it was contrived.

To assume that we as members can not nor should not reply with candor about shortcomings of this forum is ignorant and prejudiced of you.

Old gladhanders are a dime a dozen in this world. And the don't make waves crowd is legion as long as the're getting what they want or think they need. Not all of us are blind to those ways.
You travel anyway you want pal. Just don't dream that we need your counsel on how to conduct ourselves.

$&V
Old 03-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I agree with S&V. I know there are a large number of Classic owners that want a forum but there is nada. I've asked months ago and was told it would happen soon. Nothing.

I don't understand why, if Andy is so busy, that moderators are not given the power to change things?

But don't get me wrong as I apprieciate this forum and everything Andy and the moderstors do. I just want a Classic farum. Too much to ask?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I would prefer to see a breakout of the type of beer we drink before a '74 Excella section. And I am drooling as I suggest it.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:23 PM   #10
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Wow!

S&V, geez! Who peed in your cornflakes?

I'll probably get flamed for this but... while I certainly agree that nothing in the world is perfect, but from the tone of your posts, I think you need to get some perspective!

I have friends and neighbors who are being shot at in Iraq.
We are fighting in two wars with a third on the way...
Our economy is a mess. Our leadership is a mess.
There are drunks killing us on our own roads every day.
There are street gangs out there who prey on our citizens every day.
There are many folks in our own country who are homeless or hungry every day.
There are lonely elderly folks wasting away for want of friendship.
There are children who are growing up in poverty in our country.
Our air and water are being ruined by pollution at an unprecidented rate.
While the jury is out on the full story, our climate may be changing!

There are serious ills in our world to worry about. Whether or not the Forums has a spot for all of our models is probably NOT one of them!

This is a pleasant, informative place for folks to hang out and find out about Airstreams. It's also a place to connect with other folks who share common interests: nothing more, nothing less. It may not be sufficiently organized to suit your tastes. If it is, great. If it isn't, why worry about it? Take what's here at face value, and enjoy the other personalities who both share and disagree with your views.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
A big slobbery Amen! from me Roger.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Sue & Von

That kind of vitriol is so misplaced that I am unsure whether to even dignify it with a response.

You are very out of line with your name calling. There is nothing mediocre or nefarious about this forum or the people who run it. Moreover, it is a diverse place that appeals to all sorts of people, including those who are unlike you & have traits you lack, i.e., a sense of humor and the ability to navigate a complex, freewheeling Web site.

It's one thing to suggest an improvement & even to keep nudging the powers that be. It's another thing to totally lose it over a minor issue, and you certainly are not going to get very far with postings that make you sound like crackpots.

I urge you to think very carefully about where all this anger is really coming from. It's a scary world, I know. Sometimes it seems as if legislating & compartmentalizing would solve our problems, and that anyone who is not with us is part of a conspiracy. Fear & anger, however, drain the life out of us. Please just participate, rather than trying to drain the life out of the forum because it doesn't have a cubbyhole for your little Excella.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Geezzz,

Is this not a forum for Airstreams and Airstream owners. I don't get it S&V. If you want a specific site for Excella 500's try "www.Excella 500-1974.com and call it your own. Do the homework and the foot work for sponsors and go for it!
Wanting to have a site for every Airstream model and floorplan out there, would be a daunting task.
We are all Airstreams, don't we all share the same or similiar experiences?

Sure you have seen written," it is free." Yep, you only pay for electricity.(your own wall socket) no other hookups.

We participate in a forum for our SOB motorhome. Someone was unhappy about the categories, and they went out and created their own. Good for them, good for us.!
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
1976 Excella

Sue and Von,

I don't hear any of the '76 Excella owners wanting their own forum. I've looked at the '75 and '77 forums, and honestly I didn't see anything unique to those years posted on those forums. How many '74 Excelli are there that you need your own break-out room?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:17 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Folks I'd rather not see this get into a mud slinging contest so let's keep that side out of this discussion. Needless to say all things come to pass eventually so stay patient. We all want to see improvements, its just a matter of understanding the issues that those of us have to deal with. What one considers easy and something that should be of high importance, may in reality be a much bigger issue. I'm a firm believer in the theory of walking a mile in the other guy's shoes before I raise an issue.

Needless to say the forum moderators will not allow this issue to get into a personal vein, so stay cool and this all will take care of itself. Don't drag youself down into the mud.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Yeh Ha - Love to see a food fight - actually gets the ole blood pumping

But seriously S&V - you are not alone out there in that there are many of us who own the "special" Years. At least you can say you "belong" to the 70's

Us poor old 69'ers why no one can decide whether we are in the 60's or the 70's - and try look up parts - you just might find a 68 light shade, or a 70's gold trim piece. But I think the real point is - you own a D Airstream and if you have a question - stick to the specifics - and you will get an answer - you know - it is kind of simple....

If you own a dog - go to the dog forum - but if you own a cat your sol - but if you go to the "Pet" forum you just might be able to share a funny A/S about your pet - you see Airstreaming is about LIFE - not COMPLAINTS and some of own pets, children and oh yeh we have relatives too that all experience LIFE in an Airstream from time to time.

If you have a plumbing problem - such as yours might be a bit backed up right about now - there is a plumbing section, Electrical for the wirery people, Axles, tires, wheels for the free wheelers - and well just about anything!

And to boot with the new set up that lists the last 25 posts - is excellent because you don't have to go into all the different forums to find out the latest questions so the organization just went to the top of the class.

I think the moderators do a great job and I have found out a ton of information about our recent purchase of a 1969 GlobeTrotter - Yeh S&V look it up! - ah guess what we don't have a section to ourselves either When there is a need it just might show up - but for now I join in with the 60's and 70's Globetrotters so I always get the BEST of BOTH Worlds!

What is that saying - grow up, get a life, cry not for I am spoiled, I want what I want and I want it NOW!

Yep I agree....www.Excella 500-1974.com - might just be your solution

SPK
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Ye Haw! Haven't seen this much lack of tact in awhile ($&V). Kinda fun!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Let ME explain it in detail then

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue&Von

Are you a former Clinton staffer*or an independent Spin Doctor?

My party affiliation or job has nothing to do with my answer.

Quote:
Did you doubt that I was telling the truth about having a 1974 Excella 500 months ago when I first posted.?

The point I was trying to make is that if there was an Excella in 74 they were not many of them. Dedicating a whole section to them will likely leave you in a section alone. In the 74 Sovereign section there will be common items, issues, repairs, etc. To that issue there is ONE thread in the 74 sovereign section and it has not had a post in almost 6 months.

Quote:
Migration of how much data
Do you expect there to be thousands of posts to the 74 Excella section?

No I do not think there will be thousands of post to the 74 Excella section. The issue is that when the revamp comes all of the threads about all of the trailers will need to be moved and recategorized. It looks like this will be a purely manual process.

Quote:

Doesn't seem to bother you folks when it is reems of off subject blather about someone's dog or BlewBeret yap, or how much beer some bloke can swig, or when so & so quit sharing a bed with their mate or how silly a Japaneese poet one wants to be.
This is an on line community. Every community will have it's mix of people and that is what makes it interesting. We all do not want to know or do we care what size the bolt that holds the axle on the trailer is. Some of us want to find others who share a common interest. That is what the off topic section is for. If you don't want to read about beer, computers, haiku, or dogs, don't go there.

Quote:
How many of the 4000 plus who are members here belong to that dinosoar WBCCI anyway?
Quote:
The WBCCI is not for everyone, but calling it names and belittling a club that has been around for as long as it has because it does not meet your needs or standards shows your true colors.

Quote:
But when we request plain good no nonsense accomodations, which you just admitted was do-able we are handed a wagonload of bull.
Quote:
It was not a wagonload of bull. You did not like my answer so that is how YOU interpreted it. Andy is open to suggestions but the main constraint is time. If there was a way to make a day last 36 hours I am sure he would be happy to grant your slightest wish.

Quote:
If you think a section for all models would break the bank or cause the loss of established threads then just open ones that are specifically asked for. Close some that no one has shown any interest in.
Quote:
I do not think that adding additional model sections would break the bank. If you want to start a thread in the 74 sovereign section, and there is enough action, it is one way to try it before we fragment the list more than it already is. I understand your statement about closing off ones where there has been no posting in, but if we do and then get a member with that model we will be right back here again, right?

Quote:
Are you now the designated point man when Andy doesn't want to answer a question?
Quote:
No, I just happen to have more time than he does.

Quote:
I read long ago that Inside Out was revamping the whole section. Then just like the membership stickers the whole subject went silent. No explanation, nothing. It is always manana in some parts of the world. Cyber and real apparently.
Quote:
These are two different issues. The revamp is a time issue, the stickers is a copyright issue. While many things can be done quickly some take time. These are taking some time.

Quote:
As for how to group things Gosh Fellas is it brain surgery to possibly consider chronologically that is by year,,,HELLO!
Quote:
This is what we are doing, but also trying to group them by style of construction, etc.

Quote:
Sorry to have to put it so bluntly but you have just insulted both of us. In fact we have waited weeks to reply, considered leaving forums altogether, then decided your brush-off wasn't going to dictate our style or enjoyment.

Why don't you butch up and just put it in honest English.* You dont' like our straight talk and so you are not going to grant our wishes. Your double talk explanation is just what this place does not need.
Quote:
While the blunt statement does not bother me I am somewhat dismayed at the lashing out at the owner and moderators of the forum. It has been said again and again that we are all volunteers and we all do give freely of our time and knowledge. In Andy's case money and bandwith. We do not attempt to dictate any thing to anyone other that what is in the agreed to forum policies. If my prior post made you that upset you should check into the newsgroups that are out there on Camping. They will flame you for the most minor misstep. We try to be friendly.

I am not able to grant your wishes. That is up to one person. Andy the forum OWNER. He can be PM'ed by sending a message to the member Organic Hosting.

Quote:
Seems that is alot of the problem that is killing your beloved Byam club also.
Quote:
When you become a member of WBCCI then you will have the right to critique the club and it's workings. I am trying to change things that is why I am an officer of the club.

I hope my answers have better explained my original short answer. If you would like to discuss this off line please feel free to PM or email me.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, if things are not to people's liking, there are always other games in town........or better yet, pay the $80/month for your own DSL connection, a few grand for the server, the software and you can have it they way you want, when you want it.... but lashing out at folks isn't the best kind of motivation......

Until then, enjoy the ride or move on....it's that simple.......

I can see clearly that some folks are making lots of friends around here for not being here very long....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Can't wait for $&V to check back with us all. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting their response.

Frankly, their post and responses seemed like "bait" to me. Nobody is that mean spirited...

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote