Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2002, 04:16 PM   #1
hex

Numbering of Threads Suggestion

Does this forum format allow each separate post to be numbered?
Or perhaps each sepearte thread would be more workable ?

Such a feature could someday (perhaps already) be a Godsend to those trying to recall a post, or in doing research.

Perhaps the number could be prefixed or followed by a two digit year code.

I have already lost trac of a post that I read a few days back while surfing thew forum's many nooks & crannies.

I was too lazy to jot down any info, but a number might have been easier to jot. I do not even remember the subject matter, it was the member that I need.
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The threads are numbered...if you look in your computer's URL address bar you'll see the number.

Have you tried the built-in "Search" feature?

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:11 AM   #3
hex

Arrow Can't seem to SEARCH by Thread Number ????

Thank you Mamm. I had never noticed.

Now I wonder how you can use that number in a search?
I have just tried with no luck.
Is there anyway to call up a specific thread by the ID number?
if not I wonder what the use of the number is?

thanks,
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wouldn't just be easier to perform search on a topic or author than to try & remember to write down the thread number & what it's regarding? You can always type it into the same address bar...

Another option is to "Subscribe" to a particular thread...Go to your "User Options" then "Edit Options". Click on "Use 'Email Notification' by default?" that way whenever someone responds to a thread you have participated in, you will receive an email telling you so....just a thought.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 08:45 AM   #5
pap

Question 2nd try

Now I have figured out that my address-bar gives a thread address which can be used for reference or copied and pasted to form a link.

But when browsing and you want the URL just for a post, NOT the whole thread, where and how do you find the post-only URL?
I know that there are URLs for each post because when using search, we are given choice of traveling to thread or post. However I would like to determine post # and URL without going thru the search process at times. Is there a way?

I asked this a while back and recieved no reply, if no one knows the answer, is there a link to the software co that designed this format that someone could give me?

Femuse would you be good enough to run the question by your friend Lou?
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #6

Sorry I cannot help you on this one.

Don't know Lou. He just happens to be moderator on another forum. I liked his ideas and stole them.
All this computerese is all Greek to me.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:42 PM   #7

Lightbulb

OK, Pap, I may have found your answer.

Working on a would be FAQ thread, maintained at this time, by a total of 1 person, I played a lot with efficient ways to access a given thread. That, you know how by now, but I will demonstrate anyway.

Then it was an easy step to go to a post.

I have a note with ready to fill blank addresses looking like that:

[THREAD]:
Xttp://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=****

and

[POST]:
Xttp://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=*****#post*****

(I have to show it with a X instead of a h, so you can see it now)

When I find a thread I want to mark for future reference, as this was very astutely started by HEX (by the way, what happened to him?), I just enter the "threadid=" # like in the example:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=3636

and now for the post, you ask?

Run your mouth, I mean your mouse over the "Report... Moderator" and you see the post number appears in the Internet Explorer status bar, if this is what you are using.

So, you enter that # twice, like in:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...9346#post29346

Now, something interesting: sometime it works, somtime it doesn't.
The first time I did it, it went to the POST, the next time, it went to the top of the page in the thread !!! The next time, to the post.....
I know that often, when I click on "go to last post" little arrow, it will go to the beginning of the thread instead. So, there is a glitch somewhere else. I thought that with computers programs : either it worked or it did not. But, I am totaly "innocent" when it comes to how these forums work, so I cannot comment on that. Mike has been using Compuserve for nearly 20 years, and he is always commenting on how superior their software is, and he is not wasting so much time in line,.... and blablabla..... He tried to demonstrate: that was over my head.

I think I am getting better at this stuff. Never used this modern computers like you young guys. Mike is trying to have me use his Toshiba laptop and his PC or whatever these things are called. I need those to get on line, but for anything serious: sorry, not for me.

Now I have to go back and work on my own computer. I have to rework my store inventory, on the program I started to write in the early 80's, and I run on my faithful Commodore 128. I can even run it for several minutes blind, when my monitor goes on the blink (just whack it, the picture will come back). Can you do that on your PCs? , I mean go on entering data without a monitor?
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote