Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #21
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Sorry about the changes. The problem is that sometimes the system gets a "little funny" and I have to run some maintenance scripts to fix things. That script goes through every member and counts every post in ONLY the forums software. The photos, classifieds, links, reviews, etc are all different software that is integrated.

The post counts are an actual reflection of posts in the forums. The other posts were either from posting photos, comments on photos, reviews, comments on reviews, etc. It's been a very long time since running that update so that is why there were some significant changes. I can assure you that all the content is still here and maybe one day I can find a way to extend the rebuild post count script to pull in a post for each photo, comments in photos, classfieds, etc but for now it's not available.

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #22
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Andy,
All my notifications of postings (reply to post) are now coming to me as "2007072" vs. "Airstream Forums"..., also, am having new issues with PM's... server seems to be taking a bit more time loading, too.

Lot's of tweakin'?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Hey Andy,

In the larger scheme of things, the issues described seem relatively minor......I have seen many server changes result in significant outages. In my mind, you are a hero and to be commended!!! Thank you for your work and expertise!!!!

Warm redards,

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
Sorry about the changes. The problem is that sometimes the system gets a "little funny" and I have to run some maintenance scripts to fix things. That script goes through every member and counts every post in ONLY the forums software. The photos, classifieds, links, reviews, etc are all different software that is integrated.

The post counts are an actual reflection of posts in the forums. The other posts were either from posting photos, comments on photos, reviews, comments on reviews, etc. It's been a very long time since running that update so that is why there were some significant changes. I can assure you that all the content is still here and maybe one day I can find a way to extend the rebuild post count script to pull in a post for each photo, comments in photos, classfieds, etc but for now it's not available.

Andy
Old 07-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #24
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMcMunn
Hey Andy,

In the larger scheme of things, the issues described seem relatively minor......Warm redards,Jerry
Yep. And helpful to know what what problems are evident as a result. No criticism, just "reporting some strange errors you find here...".
Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #25
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I could not get to this site earlier this morning.......

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #26
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Big shut down this morning...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #27
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin
Big shut down this morning...
Yup... the dreaded "500 - Internal Server Error" message...
Old 07-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Warning Important News Flash: Airstream site knocked off line by the Devil!!

Tazmanian Devil or "Taz" as he is known to most that know him is bring sought for questioning for this insane act. If you have any information that would be help bring this Devil to justice please contact the powers that be. This is not the first time he has done this please help us apprehend this Devil before he strikes again.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #29
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
I appologize for this, please be patient for a couple weeks more while everything settles in. I promise it's for the best in the long term but there might be some more hicups before things are perfectly smooth.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Not a problem

Quote:
...please be patient for a couple weeks more while everything settles in...
I think everyone (even "your buddy", me) is more than happy to work with you, Andy, while server issues are resolved.

But

The server seems to get migrated on a somewhat regular basis. If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is. But do you see another migration in the near future?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #31
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Not a problem Andy, really not complaining about problems -understanding a new server will have some glitches. Thanks for working on it and making it better,
Old 07-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
I appologize for this, please be patient for a couple weeks more while everything settles in. I promise it's for the best in the long term but there might be some more hicups before things are perfectly smooth.
I appreciate all your efforts in quest for perfecting this FREE site. I promise not to take it for granted. I have not seen a blog yet that didn't have growing pains from time to time. Thanks, Andy.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover
I appreciate all your efforts in quest for perfecting this FREE site. I promise not to take it for granted. I have not seen a blog yet that didn't have growing pains from time to time. Thanks, Andy.
please note, you've taken the "free route", which is fine.

servers are not rocket science; as a matter of fact there quite easy to mantain and operate.

and your opinion counts. this is not a flame.

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #34
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
doesn't happen anywhere else, on any other professional website on such a regular basis. kevin
Wanna bet? Tried the Airstream site...? Oh yeah... they took it down for how long to "improve" it...? I haven't experienced any problems on this site other than the "new server blues", which any organization that I've been in has always experienced issues/problems when a new one has been installed.

And jeeze! "On the cheap"!? Last I heard, this site was free... and it's one of the best Airstream sites I've been on. Good work Andy!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
it's your opinion.

it ain't rocket science.

anyone with any experience doesn't use the mother ships website, they use colonials in NJ.

and again, not a flame, just my opinion.

as we speak, this sever acts as if it's totering... ready to give out...

kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Wanna bet? Tried the Airstream site...? Oh yeah... they took it down for how long to "improve" it...? I haven't experienced any problems on this site other than the "new server blues", which any organization that I've been in has always experienced issues/problems when a new one has been installed.

And jeeze! "On the cheap"!? Last I heard, this site was free... and it's one of the best Airstream sites I've been on. Good work Andy!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Kevbo, You are a stuff stirrer.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Kevbo, You are a stuff stirrer.
i love it. let's let out a big puff of hot air because were going to the balloon festival in october, i hope they manage to get the server fixed by then. most systems use multiple servers and RAID. but it's the whole rocket science thing again...

puff the magic dragon,

kevin
Old 07-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #38
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
anyone with any experience doesn't use the mother ships website, they use colonials in NJ. Kevin
Gotta agree with you on that one, Kevin... Colonial absolutely knows how to photograph an Airstream from all the right vantage points & presents them well... amazing A/S marketing hasn't picked up on that or been prodded to do better (like, how long does it take to take a photo of the '08 models and post 'em - like, how long have they been doing this???).

Don't know about the experience part since I was born yesterday, but it's nice to check out Airstreams website to see what's up with the company. Also, their forums was rather gutsy (groans & moans) for a manufacturer - haven't seen that in other RV manufacturers.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Gotta agree with you on that one, Kevin... Colonial absolutely knows how to photograph an Airstream from all the right vantage points & presents them well... amazing A/S marketing hasn't picked up on that or been prodded to do better (like, how long does it take to take a photo of the '08 models and post 'em - like, how long have they been doing this???).

Don't know about the experience part since I was born yesterday, but it's nice to check out Airstreams website to see what's up with the company. Also, their forums was rather gutsy (groans & moans) for a manufacturer - haven't seen that in other RV manufacturers.
J,

i agree with you 100%. it's a shame though that censorship prevails here on the forums, all w/o flaming. my earlier posts were just how i feel about the current state of affairs regarding a very simple pc of hardware. a server. i understand that not everyone can afford equipment or hire the best IT guys. i'm not flaming anyone. the performance of the website over the last month speaks for itself (note apology). not a slam. it's an opinion. so my post was erased, and the word "_____", is banned. so i'll use inexpensive in lieu of. it's OK. i sincerely believe it to be a generational thing. again an opinion. if i offended anyone, i'm sorry.

kevin
Old 07-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #40
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
"i agree with you 100%. it's a shame though that censorship prevails here on the forums, all w/o flaming. my earlier posts were just how i feel about the current state of affairs regarding a very simple pc of hardware. a server. i understand that not everyone can afford equipment or hire the best IT guys. i'm not flaming anyone. the performance of the website over the last month speaks for itself (note apology). not a slam. it's an opinion. so my post was erased, and the word "_____", is banned. so i'll use inexpensive in lieu of. it's OK. i sincerely believe it to be a generational thing. again an opinion. if i offended anyone, i'm sorry."

Hey, what's with the generational thing...? Does that make a difference in expectations? Results? Performance?

Anyway, I agree with your comments on IT as their "support desks" are anything but that. However, I really do appreciate what Andy's doing with the Forums and AIR - We have a site totally dedicated to our love for all things Airstream - warts and all. And I'll be damned if he hasn't consistently delivered and provided us with this tool - format. Great idea and great follow-through. Nothing half-assed about it.