Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Not allowed to edit or delete my own post

I just posted a new thread in the 2007 Bambi category (75th Anniversary Bambi #6). I was slow, trying to insert photos in the text area rather than as attachments at the end. Before I was able to figure out how, I received a message that I timed out. Now it won't let me edit or delete. Since I never did manage to add photos, I don't want the new thread to remain.
Please tell me how to delete.
Thanks.
kd7trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Why not just add a new post to the thread containing the pictures?
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Why not just add a new post to the thread containing the pictures?
Because I had already typed the text, and the photos need to be there. And second, it does not resolve why I'm not allowed to edit or delete my own posts. I'm sure if you look at the bottom of your own posts, you have that option. I used to, but the option has been taken away for some reason.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
The edit or delete option is only active for I think 15 minutes and then the mod's will need to do it for you. That's a long post, it would be a shame to have to do it over again. Maybe they can reopen it so you can add the pics. I for one would love to see what it looks like now.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Because of it's length, I actually started in yesterday in Pages, then finished it this morning, so it is saved. I'll be patient for awhile, and see what can be done. I assumed moderators monitored this section of the forum, to timely answer support questions such as mine.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It's a pretty common occurrence and won't confuse too many people for you to put a new post in the thread with just the descriptions of the pictures and the pictures themselves. I understand your desire to have the post display perfectly, though.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
You could add to the thread by doing reply by "quoting" and paste new stuff after old part
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I'm always a little concerned about privacy on the internet. In this case, I got booted out of the post while still in process, and the images are described in the post by their location in my computer, with my full name included. I agree I could add the images in a subsequent post, but would at least like to edit the original post to remove the image data.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I think that DaveFL had the best idea to add the photos. If you use Photobucket, or one of the free photo storage websites, you simply paste in a link into the text where you want it, and the photo appears where you want it. I see that you do do that.

If you simply paste your whole large post, you can insert the "start" and "stop" code that you will see when you are posting it and insert those codes as you please. The code is either [/quote] to end the quote, or your name in square brackets to begin the quote.

As a side note, I firmly believe that more "air" (blank space) makes a long post MUCH easier to read. That only my opinion, but I do find that to be the case.

I removed that personal information that you were concerned about. You might consider changing your user name on the photo site on which you store your photos, so that your real information can never be seen....
Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I'll do as you suggest, thank you for the tips.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7trx View Post
I just posted a new thread in the 2007 Bambi category (75th Anniversary Bambi #6). I was slow, trying to insert photos in the text area rather than as attachments at the end. Before I was able to figure out how, I received a message that I timed out. Now it won't let me edit or delete. Since I never did manage to add photos, I don't want the new thread to remain.
Please tell me how to delete.
Thanks.
Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, and we're glad we were able to help you get this resolved. If you run into a other problems feel free to contact any site team member for a helping hand.

Airstream Forums - Show Groups

On Behalf of the site team,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
I am curious why you cant edit your post after 15 minutes? I have been on and am a member of numerous forums and all allow you to edit at any time.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #13

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
I am curious why you cant edit your post after 15 minutes? I have been on and am a member of numerous forums and all allow you to edit at any time.
Just the way this site works. If something needs attention after the "Edit" window closes one of the site team members can help you out. You're not the first to ask though.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...highlight=edit

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
You can copy your post and paste it into a new message.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #15

"just the way this site works" You dont work for the government do you?
I know its how the site works. My question is "why was it set up this way".
There must be a valid reason.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
"just the way this site works" You dont work for the government do you?
I know its how the site works. My question is "why was it set up this way".
There must be a valid reason.
The site functioned that way in its youth. Then some members were liberally modifying posts in the course of disagreements. This resulted in strangely distorted threads and the edit-time restriction was put in place.

A suggestion has been made about photos hosted elsewhere being easy & quick to add to a post. I use the hosting here at AIR -- but avoid delays in composing my posts by downsizing images before starting to post. Unedited digicam images are too large for our software to handle. The AIR software hosts images up to 1600 pixels on a side but that can use your allocated storage space at the site at a pretty good clip. 600 x 800 or 750 X 1000 pixel images look pretty large within a post. So plan ahead & resize images before starting to post. [the image size ratios I give are the same as a digicam's usual 3:4 sensor dimensions -- easiest way to keep it simple]

A more common complaint is the fact that logins will time out if you are inactive for a period of time. Since post composing takes place in a cookie on your computer and not at our server, our system has no way of knowing that diligent members are actively composing detailed, complicated posts. Or if they work on a post at breaks while preparing dinner or only during ads on Real Housewives. They're kicked off before they hit the submit button. A couple remedies for that:
  • Rescue -- use your browser's back button to recover your typed text. Copy & paste it to a word processor.
  • Draft your post on a word processor in the first place. I find the simple Notepad program on a PC is extraordinarily easy to use and has advantages of minimal formatting that helps avoid compatibility issues with our forum software. I do this -- rarely, but mostly if I'm wanting to make a clear detailed 'how to' post.
Certainly contact a mod if you want assistance in editing into a timed-out post. Our PM system won't transfer images. But I think we'd steer you to the Help Desk to do that (accessed by clicking the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of any page).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #17

Thats a good enough reason for me. Thanks.