Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
No Edit capability?

Why won't a thread that I posted today show me an Edit button? I want to post some pics as it would not allow me to do so when I was creating the thread. But I do not even get a Edit button to click. This thread is about Fantastic Vent Upgrades.. Thanks
Larry

Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Why won't a thread that I posted today show me an Edit button? I want to post some pics as it would not allow me to do so when I was creating the thread. But I do not even get a Edit button to click. This thread is about Fantastic Vent Upgrades.. Thanks
Larry
How long ago? The edit button only lasts 30~45 minutes (I forget exactly how long) and then it's gone.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The only apparent option is to add another post to the thread with the images.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Watch for a meaningless explantion from one of the mods as to why there is a 30 minute time limit on edits. This is the only forum I'm on that treats posters like children.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
This is the only forum I'm on that treats posters like children.
Maybe, but the whole of AirForums is all about how we play with, break, and fix our toys, so why not? We are big kids, after all!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Watch for a meaningless explantion from one of the mods as to why there is a 30 minute time limit on edits. This is the only forum I'm on that treats posters like children.

(meaningless?) Explanation:

The edit limit is in place for a variety of reasons and driven by years of hard lessons. Some examples: malicious deletions losing hundreds of posts regarding hard to find Airstream rarities and leaving posts by respondents meaningless without the initial posts, folks who used the edit function to flame others and then purge the posts, browsers left open (logged in) and posts edited by pranking kids.

The best reason to add a new post is that members don't go back to re-read posts they've already seen so someone following your thread will never know about an update to an old post. Just post an update but if you really need an edit to an old post, ping a moderator who can give you a hand. Let them know which post and include a link to the thread.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
I've seen much worse. There was a car forum I used to belong to where it seemed site owners HATED the users. The most annoying modification they'd done to the software prevented you from adding another post to a thread if you were the last one that had posted in it. So, in this example, the person would be able to edit their old post, but not add a new one with their pictures. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, until you think about the situation where someone is trying to get help and has additional information to post to a thread that's already slid down out of sight for most people - sure, they can add it to a prior post, but without that "new post" flag and the thread moving to the top of the forum, most people aren't going to notice the new info. That was pretty much the last straw for me - I left the forum after I pointed out this logical flaw and was told, "Oh well."

Having moderated and run my own forums, I believe Janet's explanation, because some otherwise normal adults turn into jackasses on the internet. You can see this rather crude, possibly NSFW comic strip that describes it pretty well.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Many other forums do it the same way, so that users are somewhat accountable for their posts. It helps to keep things civil so the forums don't descend into a series of p***ing contests.

Being civil here is also important because we may eventually meet the others in person.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
OK, time expired. I guess I have to update the thread with a new post but there wasn't much interest in so I may not bother. Thanks, all
Larry
Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Larry, don't assume that there is no interest. Everything that you have learned is something that someone else here can benefit from. Some of us are not very current in our reading, though, so it may be a while before we use your information. Don't forget - this forum has a great search function so who knows when your info will help someone? Thanks in advance.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote