Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2017, 04:56 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Based on a quick check of their web listings, Colonial has roughly three used AS in stock. Their inventory of used tends to slant towards the shorter end of the range. They appear to have > 100 new trailers in stock. Indeed, used ones are a bit harder to find than new ones.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Where to buy...also, is a 22' Sport the right AS??

As others confirm, there are a few places to purchase where you can get at least 20% discount. If you can get more than that 21%+, that is also pretty good...I know of at least 4 dealers who are very aggressive right now, but 3 are a bit of a drive from TX. (I sent you private email on this.)

Bigger question may be if the 22Sport is the right unit for a newbie. Suggest spending time in that unit at a lot with 20', 23', and 25. You may find the subtle differences to be compelling to get a Flying Cloud model. We recently met a couple with a new 22 who after visiting with several of us at an AS ralley in Johnson City, decided they were going to sell their "new" 22 and get a 23'. As a newbie, looking at an older model is a great strategy also...you can save a bundle typically over new, and if you decide it's not for you, you can sell for likely same as you paid if it is in good shape when you sell. We did this with our first 2 25' Safari AS's!
Good luck...next, make sure you have a proper Tow Vehicle with enough payload, if you go bigger than a 22'.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:06 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Time travel is real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
20% off is real, you can even do better depending on model.

We purchased a 23D in Dec 2017. .
Maybe you meant 2016:-)
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #44
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Hi

There are occasions when a Tardis comes in handy

Bob
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #45
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Bring your pots & pans, pretend to use the galley, try out the bed and pretend one of you has to get up in the middle of the night, pretend to make the bed, perch on the throne, pretend to take a shower, chill out in the dinette a while. [emoji6]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post

Yep, lol, my time machine is broken.....
Old 06-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 Interstate 19
New Braunfels , Texas
We live near you in The Woodlands/Conroe area and are waiting for our 2018 International 30 to come in! We worked with Joe Johnson at Holiday World in Katy, and although they only had 3 Airstreams there to look at, we were able to get a good idea of what we liked and wanted in ours. We decided to buy one of their incoming units, and we are supposed to receive it in August sometime. Joe was very knowledgeable and helpful and did work hard to give us the best price for the unit - it was definitely discounted quite a bit. Hope this helps, at the least you know there are great people to deal with in Katy!
Good luck with your shopping!!
kaosinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Olympia , Washington
I would check out Airstream Adventures Northwest (AANW),, Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, or Boise
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
We also looked locally in Utah first but price was way better up north. We had it transported halfway to us and picked it up in Idaho. We haven't had to have it serviced yet. Knock on wood. I know from reading the forums, some people take them in to the dealership regularly but I don't think that needs to be the case. We've had ours for two years.

I would encourage you to look at the 23D as it is only a tiny bit longer than the 22FB but offers, I think, a better layout, more lounge space, one more burner on stove, larger water tanks, and maybe more importantly - double axles -- all without going to a much bigger one at all. It's the same width as the 22FB as well.
LolaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Denton , Texas
Ordered 2018 international serenity 28

We bought from Anthony at Vogt, got a competitive price. Anthony spent lots of time with us, we spent last 2 years searching and looking, time well spent. Vogt has many models in stock.
ElSuenoFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Understand the 22' Sport will fit his garage...

Not an issue of what do you want, it is what will work with his situation...I believe he wants to put in his garage...the 22Sport seems to fit; others would require special storage location...$$$/Month. Suggested trying to find used first, make sure he likes, and then pull trigger on new one later if that turns out to be a good decision.... But, maybe a new one is what he wants to go for...how many times we see that happen? We only live once!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Camano Island , Washington
We just purchased our International 28 this spring and received 20% off. I had a few models in mind, but after spending some time in each we settled on the 28. We pulled out every bed, cabinet & drawer, stood in the shower and bathroom, walked around the bed, walked around when things were folded up and down. It made a big difference on which model we chose. We chose a local dealer Airstream Adventures NW (1.5 hour drive), and they were able to deliver the price we were looking for.

We had our first weekend excursion last weekend, and are heading out again next weekend. We've had a tent trailer for a decade and moved up to this long awaited AS dream. We love it! Good luck on your hunt
noeljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:43 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Based on a quick check of their web listings, Colonial has roughly three used AS in stock. Their inventory of used tends to slant towards the shorter end of the range. They appear to have > 100 new trailers in stock. Indeed, used ones are a bit harder to find than new ones.

Bob
When I was there last weekend, two separate people were bringing in Bambis to trade on larger models, and another couple was picking up a used 23D. I guess the moral of that story is to buy the biggest one you can so you don't have to 'trade up' next year.
denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:04 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Newbie plan to buy 2018 International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I would check out Airstream Adventures Northwest (AANW),, Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, or Boise

+1 Probably too far from where the OP lives but we bought our new FC27FB from them back in 2014 (in Covington) and we couldn't be happier. VERY nice people!
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #55
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by denton View Post
When I was there last weekend, two separate people were bringing in Bambis to trade on larger models, and another couple was picking up a used 23D. I guess the moral of that story is to buy the biggest one you can so you don't have to 'trade up' next year.
Hi

I suspect you would need to do some deep dive interviews to work out what people go through. I certainly don't have a giant sample to work from. In a lot of cases, it's a "let's get one and see if we like doing this". After a few years the decision is that, yes we like it. We started out with tents

The flip side would be people who tried it and now the trailer is sitting un-used. I've seen a lot of that as well. What the ratio of trade up to abandon it to keep using it forever is ... I'd love to know !!

Bob
Old 06-03-2017, 11:00 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not an issue of what do you want, it is what will work with his situation...I believe he wants to put in his garage...the 22Sport seems to fit; others would require special storage location...$$$/Month. Suggested trying to find used first, make sure he likes, and then pull trigger on new one later if that turns out to be a good decision.... But, maybe a new one is what he wants to go for...how many times we see that happen? We only live once!
Yes. You said very well. We are in our retirement years and have tried a T@B for 2 years as beginners in camping. We want to travel more and see as much the country so believe it's time to get the largest that can fit in our garage with a 10ft door. And 22FB seems the one.

We are more comfortable with new one as we can not sure on used ones.

While we would like to buy local or nearby Houston, Austin or Dallas, it seems the price at RVDIRECT.COM is most competitive .

You all are great and I read every single thread in detail trying to learn as much, and will continue to read, learn and seeking advice through the camping years. And will for sure to say hi, maybe a drink or two when we meet at the camp grounds.
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #57
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
Yes. You said very well. We are in our retirement years and have tried a T@B for 2 years as beginners in camping. We want to travel more and see as much the country so believe it's time to get the largest that can fit in our garage with a 10ft door. And 22FB seems the one.

We are more comfortable with new one as we can not sure on used ones.

While we would like to buy local or nearby Houston, Austin or Dallas, it seems the price at RVDIRECT.COM is most competitive .

You all are great and I read every single thread in detail trying to learn as much, and will continue to read, learn and seeking advice through the camping years. And will for sure to say hi, maybe a drink or two when we meet at the camp grounds.

Also try Derek Weekly at North Trail RV in Fort Myers. We found them to be very competitive.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the big reasons to buy new is warranty support. Getting that support involves going to the dealer. Airstreams are a bit unique. You do not want just anybody playing around with yours.Even after the warranty period is over, normal repairs and work may well be a dealer specific thing. If it is (say) a "drop it off for a week" sort of thing, how many 500 mile round trips do you want to make? Would a 200 mile round trip be any less of a hassle?

Just for reference, I'm at 360 miles (round trip) from my dealer. For various reasons (all of my own choosing), I will have racked up 4 round trips including the one that gets the trailer here for the first time.

There is lots more to think about than just the purchase price.

Bob
Old 06-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One of the big reasons to buy new is warranty support. Getting that support involves going to the dealer. Airstreams are a bit unique. You do not want just anybody playing around with yours.Even after the warranty period is over, normal repairs and work may well be a dealer specific thing. If it is (say) a "drop it off for a week" sort of thing, how many 500 mile round trips do you want to make? Would a 200 mile round trip be any less of a hassle?

Just for reference, I'm at 360 miles (round trip) from my dealer. For various reasons (all of my own choosing), I will have racked up 4 round trips including the one that gets the trailer here for the first time.

There is lots more to think about than just the purchase price.

Bob
Thanks Bob for the advice.

Can AS be serviced Nationwide at any AS dealer? It will be very inconvenient if have to go to the dealer where it is purchased, right?
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #60
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
Thanks Bob for the advice.

Can AS be serviced Nationwide at any AS dealer? It will be very inconvenient if have to go to the dealer where it is purchased, right?
Hi

Any dealer *should* service your AS. The gotcha as mentioned in many threads here is that a dealer you did not buy from may put you at the back of the line for service. Also not all dealers are equally skilled at working on these trailers. Some sell very few or focus on specific parts of the line. If you don't fit what they normally deal with, that can be an issue.

Bob