Old 11-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #1

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Ontario
New to Airstreaming

Hello,

Thanks for allowing me to participate in this wonderful site. It's great to know there are so many people willing to share their knowledge and help others.

So I'm looking at getting a late model airstream to travel mostly on weekends with my family. I have three children, the oldest being six and youngest 12 weeks.

I am looking at a 25' or 27' one. I was leaning towards 30' but I wanted something a bit smaller since I am doing weekends mostly.

I may have found a great one for sale which we would buy however it's outside of Denver and I am close to Detroit. So first question is how would I go about finding someone who could inspect the trailer for me? Also it seems that this individual is selling it on behalf of an older friend of hers who has health issues. This could of course me the case but any recommendations on how to handle this transaction as I am concerned about title, can she actually sell this for him, etc.

Appreciate any help or tips you may have.

Thanks.

Dan

Old 11-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If you go to the WBBCI website there are volunteer inspectors on there. Also, simply your post on here may get a volunteer to help out.

Even after said inspection(s) I would want to see it myself prior to any purchase from an individual. The only place I've ever purchased anything like this sight unseen was a used 25' a few years back from Colonial Airstream. They were as upfront as any person or company I've dealt with and my wife and I decided to go for it, we were not disappointed.

Bud

Bud & Alice - Bud Posting
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2015 30' Flying Cloud
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Best wishes in your pursuit of the perfect Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I would think carefully about space, especially with three kids. When it's raining out and you are all stuck inside, space is invaluable. My wife wanted a 25', I held out for the 28'. Now we both wish we'd gotten a 30'.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Welcome aboard..!
We take 3 of our Granddaughters.. and when they are in full 'girl' mode, our 34' gets 'tight'.. with all their 'accouterments'...

If you haven't been RVing lately.. have you thought of renting a couple RV's to try out your 'fit'...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Welcome to the forums, with 3 little ones, I might suggest the 27, but you will be just as comfortable in the 25. The difference in room is the bathroom and pantry/closet space. Along with the bed position.

Really can't go wrong with either.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #7

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Ontario
Thanks everyone. Thinking of a 27'. We found one that might work. It's an international and wondering what people think. Is the international work say 3k over a similar sized flying cloud? The colors etc look really nice in the international but not sure if worth the money.

Also any thoughts on queen vs twin? We are thinking queen with 2 kids on the dinnette and one with us in the queen. Pros / cons?

Really appreciate any comments as we haven't done this before.

Thanks very much.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Hi Newbie,
Thirty years ago, I would take my four kids, ages 5 through 13, camping is something a lot smaller than a 27 ft Airstream. We had a ball! The point is, kids are adaptable, and just love the adventure.
I now have a 27FB International, and love it. It seems quite a bit larger than the 25, with that two extra feet. I would not change to any other size. We have camped with grandchildren, and it works beautifully. The dinette beds are quite roomy, and your youngest could fit with the other two easily in s couple of years.
I like the way the queen bed is situated in the 27, could not see the benefits of the twins for us, although you may want the run-around room.
If the weather turns messy, it's easy to pop up the table, get out games, and make popcorn. Your kids will have a good time.
As far as the styling of the International, it's really how comfortable you feel in the space. For us, it's a perfect fit.
Good luck on your search!
Rick
Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Here are my thoughts on the 27FB. It's a great floor plan.

I personally don't care for the International's sliding door overhead cabinets. I would be willing to pay extra for the Flying Cloud's hinged cabinet doors.

As far as twin vs. Queen. The twin arrangement gives you dressing space between the beds. It also provides much better outside storage.

Brian
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #10

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Ontario
Thanks Brian. The International is actually more then the flying cloud and wondering if it's worth it? Also not sure I understand the difference in outside storage. I'm sure I'm missing something just not sure I follow.

I basically have an option of 27fb International or 25 twin flying cloud. International is about 3 to 4k more, not sure if that is money well spent etc. Appreciate your and everyone's insight. This is all very, very helpful.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Twin models have three outside storage on the 25 and 27. One behind the LP tanks, and one on each side forward.

Brian
Old 11-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome, Dan. If there is an Airstream dealer near you, see if you can look at some of those coaches. Even if they are out of your price range, you can see what floor plans would or would not work for you and your family.

As for buying a coach at a distance, that is done all the time with low-volume coaches. Getting someone more knowledgeable than you, and physically closer than you, is a good idea. I'd suggest that you get the seller to agree (in writing) that they will hold the coach for you with your refundable deposit pending inspections. I say inspections because there will be two. The first is your inspector that will give you a report. If that report is positive you will go to the seller with a cashier's check for the balance, and you will either come home with your new coach or your deposit.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiewander View Post

I basically have an option of 27fb International or 25 twin flying cloud. International is about 3 to 4k more, not sure if that is money well spent etc. Appreciate your and everyone's insight. This is all very, very helpful.
Hi Dan...have you looked for AS's at CanAm RV here in London. They're the biggest dealer around and very help full. Ask for Evan.

Can-Am RV Centre | #1 Airstream Dealer in Customer Satisfaction Worldwide | Your Full-Service RV Dealer