Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #221
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Joe,
I am no software developer

I do know that the Classifieds are built on a WordPress Platform which is very android friendly. I am still digging on the other issues. I can duplicate the problems on the phone but the tablet brings in different issues. I suspect there is some sort of interface bug in the app to vbb code.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #222
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I too often have trouble viewing photos posted in threads with an Android phone using the Airforums app. Currently this is with a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, but I also had the same problem with my previous Android Phone.

The problems I have encountered include that sometimes the small thumbnail photo on the message comes in fine, but sometimes it only comes in as a gray box. If I click on the tiny photo, it sometimes loads a larger photo, sometimes nothing. If I click on the tiny gray box it tries to load the larger photo, but is never successful. If I immediately reload the page on my photo, nothing changes, but if I come back to that thread hours later, the photos that previous wouldn't load might then load, and ones that previously loaded might not load. It seems to be a random problem, not something perfectly repeatable. Overall I'd estimate that I can view about 50% of the photos attached to a thread at any time.

I also find it unfortunate that when a larger photo does load on my phone it is fixed at the size of my screen. I cannot enlarge it using the pinch technique expand it to look at finer details. This is about the only case I have ever seen looking at photos on my phone where I cannot enlarge them using the pinch technique. I think this too might be a bug.

Interestingly, photos posted to Airforums classified ads can/could be veiwed and enlarged without problems on both of my Android phones.

I hope this additional detail helps the developers.
Great description.
This is exactly what I have been experiencing. Not that I am glad this is happening to you, but I am glad it is not just me. I appreciate your ability to elaborate on the issue. We will keep our fingers crossed that the problem can be fixed soon.

Thanks

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have similar issues with the Android app. Also, I've had many issues trying to upload a photo using the app. Sometimes it works fine, but often it'll fail and/or crash. I haven't tried it lately so I don't remember the exact issue, but I can try it again.

(Also, a version of the app formatted for tablets would be nice...)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #224
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I too often have trouble viewing photos posted in threads with an Android phone using the Airforums app. Currently this is with a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, but I also had the same problem with my previous Android Phone.

The problems I have encountered include that sometimes the small thumbnail photo on the message comes in fine, but sometimes it only comes in as a gray box. If I click on the tiny photo, it sometimes loads a larger photo, sometimes nothing. If I click on the tiny gray box it tries to load the larger photo, but is never successful. If I immediately reload the page on my photo, nothing changes, but if I come back to that thread hours later, the photos that previous wouldn't load might then load, and ones that previously loaded might not load. It seems to be a random problem, not something perfectly repeatable. Overall I'd estimate that I can view about 50% of the photos attached to a thread at any time.

I also find it unfortunate that when a larger photo does load on my phone it is fixed at the size of my screen. I cannot enlarge it using the pinch technique expand it to look at finer details. This is about the only case I have ever seen looking at photos on my phone where I cannot enlarge them using the pinch technique. I think this too might be a bug.

Interestingly, photos posted to Airforums classified ads can/could be veiwed and enlarged without problems on both of my Android phones.

I hope this additional detail helps the developers.
Any further discussion of this issue? I have been trying to read some this morning on the droid tab and been very frustrated that 80% of the photos will not come in using the app. The come in fine if I use the browser. I was also reading winestream questioning the app for black berry and noted in that thread there were questions of why some user prifile picks coming in as gray silhouettes. Could this be a similar issue? I had not noticed it before as I was more focused on the post not the poster. Perhaps the mods can give some ideas.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #225
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have been having these problem a little more than a month:

1. Sometimes, after I view a thread then hit the back button the window goes blank then displays a notice that is something like "this page cannot be displayed". After that I cannot get immediately back into the forum, this same message displays every time I try. After I have opened a few other websites I can come back and get into the forum. This only happens on the Airforum.

2. In the middle of typing a response to a post, the page will close. The "this page cannot be displayed" message, same thing happens as above.

3. Similar issues when I view the classifieds.

Since this only happens in the Airforum, I'm wondering if there is something an administrator can help me with. I am accessing with my Dell laptop using Window 7 and internet explorer, currently updated.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #226
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
WA, try dumping your cache and dumping your cookies (Internet Options -> General -> Browsing History). Sometimes that helps with netstipation (but sometimes not). Let us know what you find, ok?

Lynn
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #227
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I used to have periods of annoyances like these. However I have had none since upgrading to IE 10. Just an idea..

Download Internet Explorer 10 - Microsoft Windows

Ken

Also certain free ad blockers can cause this type of behavior.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
WA, try dumping your cache and dumping your cookies (Internet Options -> General -> Browsing History). Sometimes that helps with netstipation (but sometimes not). Let us know what you find, ok?

Lynn
I have settings so that browsing history and cookies dump every time I reboot. I have also done this manually.
That's not the problem.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I used to have periods of annoyances like these. However I have had none since upgrading to IE 10. Just an idea..

Download Internet Explorer 10 - Microsoft Windows

Ken

Also certain free ad blockers can cause this type of behavior.
I'm also using IE10, with Windows set to update automatically.
No ad blockers
Old 10-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #230
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Alan, have you tried simply logging out of Airforums and then re-logging in?

Lynn
Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #231
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Alan, have you tried simply logging out of Airforums and then re-logging in?

Lynn
Yes, when I log back in, the same thing happens.
The problem does not happen every time I log in, probably more than 50%of the time. But, I do not have a problem with any other website, just the Airforums.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #232
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Alan, do you browse AIR at all times of day & evening? Or do you browse mostly at one particular time? When? [unlikely problem of running into site updates which tend to occur between midnight & dawn]

Using your 'back' link generally will display a page in your cache and not download new info from the site. Does your usage pattern relate more to one than the other of the following:
  • Situation A: Does your problem exist when you have been using AIR continuously? ie, you previously browsed thread XYZ and were doing something else at AIR before returning to thread XYZ and received the 'cannot be displayed' notice.
  • Situation B: Does your problem happen when you have been using AIR and browsing thread XYZ, then you go on and use your computer for other matters and get the 'cannot be displayed' when you return/refresh/back-page?

The AIR server will time out your login if you've been inactive for a period. Backing up to a page with logged-in privileges (ie, ability to reply, etc) would not be allowed. You would need to log in again and refresh the page (not back up). You can test this by opening AIR in a new tab to see if you remain logged in. Anything like that happening?

We can field your question through the page-bottom 'Contact Us' link (the Help Desk) but I prefer to keep the discussion here so we might get comments from others who have seen this.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #233
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I log in each time I use the forum, then log out at the end of each session. The remember me function does not remember me for some reason.

I use the forum most mornings and most evenings. During those times I might log in a few times. When I can't sleep, I may use it at any time during the night.

I do not think my problem is because of inactivity. Usually I am switching back and forth between messages. Though, occasionally I will search a topic and read a whole series of pages.

I have tried both using the back button and refreshing the page. The only solution I have found is to leave the forum and visit other websites for 5 minutes or so, then come back and log in.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
It just happened again, when I clicked on the Edit button.
This is what I see:
Click image for larger version

Name:	this page can't.png
Views:	162
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	197520

Is it possible this could be associated with Outlook. This it happens while I use a link in a notification I received by email.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #235
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I would recommend you try a good system cleaner, such as the free one from Piri Software.

Called 'CCleaner' (it used to be called 'Crap Cleaner') you can run a good, risk-free Cleaner for all the various and sundry caches there are, and also, there is also a very solid program that goes through your Registry and will straighten things out there, too.

I have used it regularly for many years, and I find it safe, easy to use, and it has never let me down. For example, after you run the 'Analyze' part of the Cleaner program, you can go to 'Options' and select what cookies you want to keep so as not to have to log on manually to every site.

Without going into more details, and from following your discussion here, I have a hard time imagining your problems have anything to do with Airforums.com. I suggest you try something thorough like CCleaner, and see what you get for it.

www.piri.com/ccleaner or it's available on filehippo.com. Look for the free version, they do a good job of hiding that one, but it is there.

Best of luck!

ps: I have no connections to that company, other than being a very satisfied user.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #236
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

Without going into more details, and from following your discussion here, I have a hard time imagining your problems have anything to do with Airforums.com. .
Why then do I not have this problem with any other website?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #237
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Why then do I not have this problem with any other website?
Perhaps because you wisely spend more time here than at other sites?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Perhaps because you wisely spend more time here than at other sites?
Haha!! There is some truth in this statement.
You been talk'n to my DW?
Old 11-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #239

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
This is as much a bug report has a feature request, but this seems like a logical place to put it. At this point I am not certain if it is an issue with the forums mobile app, or with KitKat. I just upgraded my phone to KitKat today, and since then the bottom edge of the forums app is obscured by a black bar in some windows. For example the main window that shows subforums, current threads , subscribed threats, etc. I can see the tops of the icons and know what they are from shape and location, but the titles are hidden by a black bar above the "soft button" array.

This is on an AT&T Moto X running android 4.4 KitKat.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #240
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
This is as much a bug report has a feature request, but this seems like a logical place to put it. At this point I am not certain if it is an issue with the forums mobile app, or with KitKat. I just upgraded my phone to KitKat today, and since then the bottom edge of the forums app is obscured by a black bar in some windows. For example the main window that shows subforums, current threads , subscribed threats, etc. I can see the tops of the icons and know what they are from shape and location, but the titles are hidden by a black bar above the "soft button" array.

This is on an AT&T Moto X running android 4.4 KitKat.
Looks like a "frames" issue. I am getting the same thing on my Nexus 7 tablet, which also just upgraded. I use the forum app on that.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote