Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
WOW- Milo,,-,-,-,-, Let me understand this, YOU actually had karma??
( devil has taken me over)
roflmao
Trust me, Tim. No one was more shocked about that than me!

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I tried to upload a .pdf and I got this message.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Now I resubscribed tonight and the subscription dates are appearing updated...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Trust me, Tim. No one was more shocked about that than me!
Milo, I went from over 8K points to just over 100. I feel your pain...
They adjusted the way karma is given, made it a simple one point per karma given. Or something like that. I still feel violated.

If "they" could just fix the corner classified banner that gets in my way everytime I tab the page to the top, I wouldn't have anything to complain about. I am boycotting the classifieds until it's gone.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Milo, I went from over 8K points to just over 100. I feel your pain...
They adjusted the way karma is given, made it a simple one point per karma given. Or something like that. I still feel violated.

If "they" could just fix the corner classified banner that gets in my way everytime I tab the page to the top, I wouldn't have anything to complain about. I am boycotting the classifieds until it's gone.
Dave
I don't know about boycott but I spend a small fraction of the time here that I have in the past. That pink flag that fills the screen from the classifieds on every tab is intolerable. Fix that and everything else is just small stuff. Until then it is a quick check and I am gone for the day. My subscribed thread folder is full and running over. I was finally able to gain access as SUDO user (linux) to make the changes to the host file suggested but now cannot open the host file. More work to do. Once I get that fixed or the forum software is fixed I will be back for regular doses of the good stuff. Miss you all. BTW, the advertisers are getting a lot less attention from me because of this problem. Maybe others are doing the same thing?
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #159
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I have to say, and do not mean to be confrontational, just want to give my opinion, The only times I notice the pull back is when I read a complaint about it.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Don't know if this has been reported before or not... I am on a Mac (OS X 10.4.11) running Firefox... Many times none of the links on a new page don't work until I activate that annoying classifieds corner page thing in the upper right hand corner...Once I let that thing come in and out the links work.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:12 AM   #161
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am boycotting the classifieds not because of the flip down, I actually like that. I am boycotting because every time I look at it I go into a rage. I cannot take looking at the ads for all the premium vintage units being shipped over the pond by EllieZ. It just drives me crazy to see this going on. Yes, Yes it is great they are not rotting in a field somewhere, Yes, Yes, it is great that someone is going to enjoy them, but these are all premium units. There are no ugly ducklings in the group.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #162
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I smell envy with just a pinch of jealousy.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #163
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
"tag" search returns "404"
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Don't know if this has been reported before or not... I am on a Mac (OS X 10.4.11) running Firefox... Many times none of the links on a new page don't work until I activate that annoying classifieds corner page thing in the upper right hand corner...Once I let that thing come in and out the links work.
Thanks for defining this problem I was beginning to think I had a computer problem. I read your post and then went to test it. Sure enough links on the right side of the page do not work until the Classified tab comes down.

I have had similar problem, but can't duplicate it right now, while typing a Reply. If I attempt to move the cursor back several words in my typing, to correct something, the cursor will not set that that point. If I move further back in the post the cursor will take and I can then move it forward to the point I want to correct. As mentioned I could not cause this to happen while typing this post.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #165
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Thanks for defining this problem I was beginning to think I had a computer problem. I read your post and then went to test it. Sure enough links on the right side of the page do not work until the Classified tab comes down.

I have had similar problem, but can't duplicate it right now, while typing a Reply. If I attempt to move the cursor back several words in my typing, to correct something, the cursor will not set that that point. If I move further back in the post the cursor will take and I can then move it forward to the point I want to correct. As mentioned I could not cause this to happen while typing this post.
The nav bar at the top of the page exhibits the same bug, links only work after the classified mouseover is activated.

Firefox 2.0xx
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sometimes I'm a little slow, but I've figured it out, I think. If you are a "supporting member" (i.e., pay to play) you don't have to have the annoying sparkly classifieds thing—it's an option.

This further annoys me. First of all, without all the members, this Forum wouldn't exist. All members should be equal.

2nd: To give us an option—pay or be annoyed just doesn't feel fair. Isn't that close to extortion?

3rd: The way to disable the annoying sparkly thing has been posted, so why not just eliminate it and stop annoying some of your members?

4th: I know promoting money making parts of the Forum is part of the bargain and making money keeps this thing going, but I think it has to be done in a less in-your-face way.

5th: Since I choose not to pay, does that mean I'm a "non-supporting member"? The use of the term "supporting member" seems to have unintended consequences.

The unspoken contract here is we help each other—members provide the words, Forum provides the technical stuff to have the words online. Some parts of the Forum make money to provide the technical stuff. We all want to be happy and annoying some members doesn't help this contract function.

Which brings up another point—look over the member list and see that hundreds of people have joined and never posted anything. Since you can read this stuff without joining, why did they join? Why haven't they posted anything? What's not working here?

Rant over, truck to wash and wax.

Gene
Old 06-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As members, supporting and none supporting, we look at the Forum as a source on information on a subject of mutual interest. Often forums begin through the inspired dedication of one or at most a handful of individuals. Dedication will support the smaller forums and the members of those forums will have few issues if any with the operation of the forum. However as a forum grows so grows the expense of operation, software, servers, and time of supervision.

To meet this increasing overhead some of the early forums took the path of charging for membership. Let me tell you from first hand experience that is a path to failure. I was a member to an early forum, 1999, that charged for membership. That forum grew very fast in membership and general became recognized within its field. Riding at the top of the game for several years. As new, smaller, and none fee based forums on the same subject developed the original forum imploded. Members flocked to other sites all of which are still surviving.

Why do I mention this? Forums on any subject, started for whatever reason, if successful become a business. They have all the components on the expense side and can provide for all the components on the income side. So far the public, membership, has not quite accepted this and still tend to look at information gained from the internet as a right rather than an expense. Those operators of a forum have to maintain a balance between covering expenses and not projecting the image of a business

Till now "Supporting Membership", rather than charging for membership, became the excepted method of covering expenses. This system has seen many forums grow rapidly in the last 5 or 6 years. Some having grown in membership and daily activity are now beginning to outgrow this means of covering expenses and are having to look to the all mighty “Advertiser”. The test of successful advertising will be how the members perceive it. If it is off to the side as with a Yahoo search it will most likely be accepted. If it is annoying and in ones face I suspect it will be a death knell.

Now both members and operators of this forum have to make judgments and individually decide how each perceives changes as they may be required. I for one would like to see more members step up and support the forum and postpone the intrusion of “Advertising” a bit longer than was the case in Advertising Free Cable TV.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm a supporting member, I still get the annoying classified thing.
Regarding the comment above, I don't think it's some underhanded trick.
Dave

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote