Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Haddon Township , New Jersey
New Member in NJ-Vintage 1964 Safari

Hi!
My husband Chip are new to joining. We decided to make a long term dream come true and purchase a vintage Airstream, this one being a 1964 Safari. We have been restoring our home, a 1925 Craftsman style bungalow and needed to take out a loan to complete some of the work. We decided to scale back and buy this Airstream, which we love but definitely needs a lot of work. We are planning on keeping as much as possible original and are trying to figure out where to get started. It's missing the back panel and apparently some plumbing and the battery. Some of the electrical works but unfortunately we realized that the running lights started working but then stopped on our way home transporting it through the dark mountains as we used our blinkers and brakes repeatedly to pull off to safety. We are missing a fridge and we were told the stove top lights but we are not sure about the oven. There is some water damage in some of the cabinets. The flooring is exposed and some pieces have been replaced. The shell is in good condition for all visible parts but the belly at the rear has some missing metal. I'm assuming the water heater is shot by the looks of it and who knows about the furnace. We fell in love, blinded, what can we say�� We are trying to figure out what is missing in the back. I will post this in the 1964 Safari group too to see if anyone can show a picture of what their systems look like in the back so hopefully we can piece together what is missing. Looks like the water pump and battery but there are pipes that are cut off on the right and it doesn't look like they were draining into the sewer tank. In any case, any advice and suggestions are appreciated! This is going to be a long process probably because we are doing home renovations and have two awesome young children but, in time, we will make her a beaut! Still have to name her. Sorry, I didn't see a rotate option and some pictures are sideways.
Thanks!
Alicia and Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2252.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	292448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	292449  

Name:	IMG_2373.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	292450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2372.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	292451  

Name:	IMG_2288.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	292454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2289.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	292455  

SafariDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Welcome to the forums SafariDream. Nice post with great pictures. You found a great trailer. I bet with some cleaning and tinkering, you might be surprised what you can get working again.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Thanks Streaminwild, we would love that!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Alicia and Chip,

Welcome to the forums and to the project phase of Airstreaming.

We completed a 1964 Safari almost 11 years ago and have enjoyed it ever since. That project is documented on "64airstream.com" our web page (that has not been updated for quite some time.) We encourage you to keep reading and searching around the forums. You'll soon have many ideas and maybe a few new questions as you learn from, what we've found, to be many great enthusiasts willing to share their experience. We noticed a substantial improvement in the end results between our '64 Safari and our recently "completed" '68 Overlander. This is the link to our thread here on the forums, if interested; https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html

Our Safari floor plan is very similar to yours, so let us know if you need some photos or dimensions.

We hope you enjoy your project as much as we know you'll enjoy the travel, adventure, and admiring comments when she is on the road,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Raymond , Ohio
Alicia and Chip Welcome to a great forum Don't be afraid to make your new baby your own. Our Tin Tipi is a 62 Overlander and we put in what we wanted and took out what we did not
Jan Tillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2010 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Toano , Virginia
Welcome Alicia and Chip!
TinTikiHut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Welcome to Airstream insanity. There is a lot of great information here on restoration and a bunch of other topics.

Since your Safari doesn't have a name yet, you might find this thread amusing:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...er-166128.html
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Thanks TinTikiHut! Glad to be here! Your name caught my interest! Sounds like you are in a place where you were able to decorate. Can't wait to get there!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Cool, thanks, I will check that out!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Thanks for the welcome! That's good advice! Can't wait! ������
Old 08-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Hi Roy and Marie!
That is awesome! Thanks for your reply�� So excited to talk with fellow 1964 Safari owners! can't wait to check out your process and what you did! We are trying to figure out the plumbing/water in the rear. I don't know if you saw the pictures where I think maybe a water pump is missing and the right side has a sawed off waste line. We were told that some of the plumbing was updated maybe in the 90's but something must have gone wrong, hence the saw marks. I don't know if you had pictures of what the rear end looked like inside but can't wait to check out all that you did! We have so much to learn but we're excited. There are so many cool posts here. Can't wait to read a lot of them over vacation
Thanks,
Alicia
Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi SafariDream'in: Welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. From the sound of your post #1, you will renovating your 64 Safari for some time. I started a 66 Trade Wind in the fall of 2013 and finished it last fall. Three years calendar time, and I'm retired. I spent about 1200 hours on it and about $13k. It may have been in better shape than yours from your description. Renovating an old Airstream ain't cheap or easy. But it is a bunch of fun and very satisfying to see the results. Gotta keep them on the road you know.

I always recommend assessing your Airstream's needs from the ground up. For example: tires, brakes, bearings, axles, shocks, belly pan, frame, subfloor, plumbing, wiring, appliances, doors, windows, body, vents and the like. Keep a list of what the trailer needs to get usable and decide what makes sense to do first. I might add "polishing" is close to the last step. Polishing does nothing to make the trailer useable. Don't just gut it without a plan on what you will do.

These Forums were immense help to me in my project. I am anxious to start another one. I'm crazy that way.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Alicia and Chip,

If you go to our '64's web page ("64airstream.com") then click on "Renovating" just below the top photo, then scroll to the bottom of that page and click "More Photos" you'll see a couple of shot as we gutted and rebuilt the rear bath area and replaced a section of sub floor.

I think you're right, the water pump (on the street side rear appears to be missing, but, more significant, it looks like you're black water tank may have been removed also. In our photos you'll see a flanged connection where the toilet sits on top of the black water tank and the gray water line (which actually bypasses the black water tank and goes straight to the outlet line. Gray water tanks were not installed in the pre '69 models. (I'm not even sure they started installing them by '69.) There are also drain vents to the roof which are important. In our layout the fresh water tank was below the gaucho over the axle. I believe it's the same in yours. Good news is black and fresh water tanks are available. Depending on your desire and budget, you may consider a gray water tank addition. We carry a portable (Blue Boy) tank for gray water for both our '64 and '68.

I'll reinforce what David said. Right now, you are in the "Discovery" phase as you clean and dismantle the trailer and figure out where you're starting. That's kind of like a fun archaeological expedition. Then you'll start to see what all you'll need to do and can start, as David said, from the ground up. Make it safe, then make it usable, then make it yours, but recognize you'll want to think ahead. If you need a new axle, for example, don't replace bearings and brakes on the old one, just order the new axle with those factory installed. You'll need to install a new black water tank as you replace the rear sub floor (if it needs replaced).

I'm probably not making it sound like fun, but it really can be if you let it.

Please keep us posted on your progress,

Roy and Marie
Old 08-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Thanks David! That is wise advice working from the bottom up too. I think that's a good idea with the list and prioritizing. There are some heavy hitters competing for first place so addressing plumbing and electrical together first. I don't know if I can keep my hubby from polishing that long because he is itching to make her shine ha ha. It must be fun too bc people like yourself keep going with their restoration and sometimes do another��
Thanks again!
Alicia and Chip
Old 08-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Thanks Roy and Marie! Wow, the work you did was amazing! You did a great job of showing your work and the process. Thay was great to get a glimpse into the systems in the back too! Hmm, just learning about the tanks, thanks for sharing that helpful info. Not sure now if it would be easier to remove cabinets to work on them and give access to some things too. They need a lot of help. Our vaneer has either peeled off or is peeling off. Did you replace the vaneer to get that beautiful finished wood look or was that the finished grain under the vaneer? Beautiful! With the water tank that you replaced, I was told something about formaldehyde being in the clean water storage tank in the new replacement ones. Did you find that to be true or are you aware of different options? I'm assuming the old water storage tanks aren't an option to use if sitting a long time without use but I need to learn more about that too��
Thanks so much for your helpful info!
Alicia and Chip
Old 08-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Alicia and Chip,

Thanks for the compliment, but our second project turned out even better than our '64, because we had found this forum. We're actually talking about going back and doing the '64 over again.

I don't know if formaldehyde or BPH or whatever is an issue with new fresh water tanks. If so, I'd think it would be an issue across the industry (about 400,000 new RVs were manufactured and sold last year in the US.) For us, we use the fresh tank water (and campground water) for showering, dishes, flushing, and washing hands. We use bottled water for drinking, cooking, and coffee,etc. We load a case of individual bottles and a couple gal jugs each time we head out. (Probably more BPH or whatever in the bottles???)

Our veneer was pretty much in tact, but under a couple coats of latex ugly green paint. On that web page (under "Renovating") there are some photos of striping the paint, sanding and coating with high gloss polyurethane. We liked the gloss better than satin (which would have been more authentic looking.) Specialty lumber companies sell veneered plywood of many species that may work for replacement of some panels. Remember to save the old panels as templates or patterns.

Removing the cabinets is a decision you'll need to make. It does simplify many aspects of the project (access to the floor and plumbing, for example). My advice would be that there is always one more fastener holding whatever cabinet your removing. If it doesn't come free with a solid pull, keep looking and remove that fastener. Then there will be another one after that. Be patient and you'll rip up fewer pieces.

Keep posting your progress and let us know if you need any specifics,

Roy and Marie
Old 09-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Thanks so much Roy and Marie! That's great advice! We totally appreciate it! That's great that your second renovation went so well and would love to see what's next for your Safari if you decide to renovate it again!
Thanks!
Alicia and Chip

Tags