Old 04-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
New feature: Recommended Articles

We wanted to let you know about the new links at the bottom of the home page of the forum and some cool news.

Over the years as AIR has grown, some additional websites have joined the Social Knowledge (parent company) family. Most are RV and recreation related and include some amazing resources. The Vintage Airstream Archives, RV Park Reviews.com are a couple of my personal favorites. Recently RV Life Magazine joined the party and now at the bottom of the page you will see links to articles that may be of interest.

You'll have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to find them. If you find them interesting scroll often, if not we understand and have placed them so they won't be disruptive to regular forum browsing. For AIR Supporting Members, as usual, there is a link in your User CP to disable this option (>edit options >> disable recommended articles >>> save).

RVlife is a venerable publication and we are excited to add this resource. Articles cover a variety of topics including maintenance, travel and both new a vintage RVs. Happy surfing

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Out in left field......

1973 27' Overlander
Solidarite , Georgia
Just noticed those about 30 minutes ago. Thanks for the heads up. Looks intriguing.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Going Places , Georgia
Not a Big Fan....

I guess I'm one of those people who don't like change particularly when it interferes/changes something that I thought worked perfectly well. As a supporting member I'm certainly going to attempt to turn this off.

I'm not particularly upset about them being at the bottom of the page but they are not really at the bottom of the page. They're near the bottom but create an annoying separation of the last post and the quick reply menu. Perhaps they can be moved so they really are at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs down I do not like spam

Great marketing copy. Disabled.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"They're near the bottom but create an annoying separation of the last post and the quick reply menu. Perhaps they can be moved so they really are at the bottom of the page."

x2
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
IMO, this feature is unnecessary and intrusive. The results will be less than you expect.

I post this as one coming from an advertising and marketing background (forty plus years worth).

Just my opinion FWIW.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

IMHO....supporting members should have an opt-out....it's a PITA.

Bob
AF #1
"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
IMHO....supporting members should have an opt-out....it's a PITA.
Supporting members can indeed turn these off. The instructions to do so are in Janet's post #1 on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Perhaps they can be moved so they really are at the bottom of the page.
To be honest, if we put them at the very bottom of the page they would be seen less and thus be less effective.

I founded this forum community 14 years ago. In that time the internet has evolved and we have had to evolve with it. I acquired RV Life Magazine last fall, it's has been published since 1986. The print magazine industry is suffering from ad budgets moving online. Rather than let the brand die we are evolving RV Life to an online magazine with plans to roll out season print publications (ie. annual or bi-annual instead of monthly). The RV Life website simply does not get the traffic needed to sustain the team of writers (RVers) who create the content. That's why cross promoting the articles here on AIR and our sister sites made sense.

We are grateful to our members who choose to support our community and that's why we offer them the ability to disable these and other items on the site to streamline their experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Great marketing copy. Disabled.
I don't think Janet was trying to spin things, just lay out the facts and keep everyone in the loop. Thanks for being a supporting member and
I'm glad the disable feature will work for you.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
If you have by chance ever visited any other websites, you've probably encountered a similar looking "You May Also Like" block similar to this one.

There's a pretty big difference though. Those other ones are usually filled with clickbait items like "9 Celebrities Who Had Wardrobe Malfunctions" or "Chloe Moretz's Dress Drops Jaws" or "Read E-books? Here's The Worst Kept Secret Among Book Lovers". (Real ads I just saw)

The links here are on topic and I have found some of them intriguing enough to want to read.

Really people, how many calories do you think you'll burn having to scroll down a couple more inches to get to the Quick Reply?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
If you have by chance ever visited any other websites, you've probably encountered a similar looking "You May Also Like" block similar to this one.

There's a pretty big difference though. Those other ones are usually filled with clickbait items like "9 Celebrities Who Had Wardrobe Malfunctions" or "Chloe Moretz's Dress Drops Jaws" or "Read E-books? Here's The Worst Kept Secret Among Book Lovers". (Real ads I just saw)

The links here are on topic and I have found some of them intriguing enough to want to read.
Thanks for noticing. These were indeed inspired with the Outbrain style ads you see on other sites. I'm glad you actually noticed the difference with our RV Life content.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
FYI: They don't lay out correctly on an iPad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	260631  
Old 04-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
We wanted to let you know about the new links at the bottom of the home page of the forum and some cool news.

You'll have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to find them.
You only have to scroll past the bottom thread on the home page, not all the way to the bottom. Scrolling all the way to the bottom is how I first found a link to the Kayaking & Rafting Forum, where I sometimes lurk but haven't yet posted.

I've clicked on a few of the articles before finding this thread. It's unfortunate that most of the "articles" seem to be the text version of infomercials, where you have to read through a lot of text, only to get to a "buy this" portion of the article. And none of the articles I've read proved to be about products I want to buy. If there were more "real" articles (i.e about places and processes) and fewer infomercial ads (about products for sale), I'd be more inclined to read more of them. As it stands, my interest level is not terribly high and I doubt I'll click on many more of them.

But since the RV Life infomercial articles appear below the bottom post on the thread— and because I set AirForums to display "newest first"— I don't find the links obtrusive. And you never know, someday, somehow, another RV Life "article" just might pique my interest.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
FYI: They don't lay out correctly on an iPad.
Thanks for the feedback - tweaking in progress

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Thanks AndyR, The Air Forums is the friendliest R.V. site on the net. The comradery here is second to none. You have a good thing going here. Don't change a thing....O.K. that popup that makes the screen go black until you click the x. Can you move that to the bottom as well? I support anything that makes R.V.ing easier. Keep up the good work Mod-Gods.