Old 04-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I assume the articles are those "you may also like" boxes just above the Quick Reply" box. They are not at the bottom of the page despite what Janet wrote in post #1. I will look to see how to remove them.

I did not know Social Knowledge now owns RV Park Reviews. I have used that site for years since Woodalls is biased towards advertisers and AAA no longer publishes camping books. I have recently started using TripAdvisors camping reviews, but they are hard to access. Still, they are better in some ways than RV Park Reviews. Both sites need help in making them more informative and faster to use. Another thing—often we are stuck at someplace where the wifi is bad and it is hard to use RV Park Reviews at all. Maybe a simpler version for bad wifi is possible.

Gene

Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #30
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
It would be nice if the Black signing up screen would not pop up for a few seconds longer so I can finish logging in after resetting the browser and clearing the caches.
We increased the time for the modal to show from 14 seconds to 20 seconds. Hopefully that will give you enough time to login before it pops-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I did not know Social Knowledge now owns RV Park Reviews. I have used that site for years since Woodalls is biased towards advertisers and AAA no longer publishes camping books. I have recently started using TripAdvisors camping reviews, but they are hard to access. Still, they are better in some ways than RV Park Reviews. Both sites need help in making them more informative and faster to use. Another thing—often we are stuck at someplace where the wifi is bad and it is hard to use RV Park Reviews at all. Maybe a simpler version for bad wifi is possible.
Gene, we acquired RV Park Reviews in fall of 2013. We rebuilt the site and launched the new version in fall of 2014. Now we are rebuilding the backend so we can be on a more stable platform and then we'll start to get more iterative and innovative with new feature releases.

I'd love to hear about what you like and don't like about RV Park Reviews and TripAdvisor. It's our hope we can be nimble and keep making the site better so we can continue to be the "GO TO" place for RVers. Any chance you could email me your thoughts on what's good/bad of each? My email is still the same. I'm also available by phone if you don't feel like typing it all up.

We are hoping to launch some new apps for RV Park Reviews. The first version will require a connection. I could see an offline version in the future which would provide access when disconnected.

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the extra time to log in!

Old 04-15-2016, 05:27 AM   #32
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I assume the articles are those "you may also like" boxes just above the Quick Reply" box. They are not at the bottom of the page despite what Janet wrote in post #1. I will look to see how to remove them.

Gene
Somewhere up in the previous posts, Janet told you how to turn the whole thing off if you are a supporting member. It's pretty easy, just a couple of mouse clicks, and you'll never see them again.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
. . .
For AIR Supporting Members, as usual, there is a link in your User CP to disable this option (>edit options >> disable recommended articles >>> save).
. . .
Post #1.

Personally these are a "plus" as I have already learned a few new things . . .

Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2015 23' FB International
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I have used RV Park Reviews and it has proved very useful. It is one of our "go-to" sites when considering campgrounds and sites. More campgrounds need to be added, but it is helpful.

I actually like the new advertorials and looking at new topics. I hope this stays fresh with constant new material.

I still would like to see the Daily pop-up eliminated. sometimes you just want to browse the forum without signing in, and the pop-up is very annoying. this is the only site that has this feature that I go to.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #35
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I have used RV Park Reviews and it has proved very useful. It is one of our "go-to" sites when considering campgrounds and sites. More campgrounds need to be added, but it is helpful.
Yes, RV Park Reviews is a tremendous resource. Most people don't know it's owned by an Airstreamer! Don't forget to post your reviews so other campers can benefit from our collective knowledge. That's what it's all about!

Quote:
I actually like the new advertorials and looking at new topics. I hope this stays fresh with constant new material.
We pull from the last 16 items published on RV Life. So the items will rotate over time. If you all feel you are seeing the same thing over and over, maybe we need to dig in a little deeper. As new articles are published they will show up so hopefully it will stay fresh.

Quote:
I still would like to see the Daily pop-up eliminated. sometimes you just want to browse the forum without signing in, and the pop-up is very annoying. this is the only site that has this feature that I go to.
It's a catch 22. That modal window works for signups. The Airstream Daily emails are now one of our biggest sources of traffic. So we need a way to show them but for our regulars to opt-out quickly if desired. Maybe we could do something like going to a URL like www.airforums.com/x and that would instantly tell the server to prevent the modal window from showing? I'll have to talk to my programmer to see if this is possible.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
. . .
It's a catch 22. That modal window works for signups. The Airstream Daily emails are now one of our biggest sources of traffic. So we need a way to show them but for our regulars to opt-out quickly if desired. Maybe we could do something like going to a URL like www.airforums.com/x and that would instantly tell the server to prevent the modal window from showing? I'll have to talk to my programmer to see if this is possible.
Could you add an "opt-out" button on the pop-up to disable it for the active online session only?
__________________________________________________ ____________

"[box to check] -- please do not show this again during the current online session"
__________________________________________________ ____________

Or words to that effect?

OR

Maybe just a "Thanks -- not this time" option, like many other sites have for feedback surveys and so forth?

For me, the new longer time to log in works great, both on the laptop at home AND on the iPad Mini in the van, if I am ready to type right away . . .
Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2015 23' FB International
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
ANDY R: thanks for the response. Yes, I will sign up and add our reviews, which I should have done a while ago since we use it for site reconnaissance.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Andy,

After all these years and kids, isn't it time to buy a bigger trailer?

I'll look at RV Park Reviews and send you ideas. I've never reviewed anything on that site since I know how to use TripAdvisor and am loath to learn new tricks since I'm an old dog.

Gene
Old 04-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
The only thing I hate worse than change is when everything stays the same!

Thanks for the new features. I continue to love the Forums!

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 04-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #40
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Could you add an "opt-out" button on the pop-up to disable it for the active online session only?
It currently does work that way but it uses a cookie. So when you leave and wipe your cookies it will come back. If you login, you can disable the prompt and therefore use the site without the modal (this was done for people who have cookies totally disabled). Of course, when you come back you need to login again since you have cookies turned off and session is not held that long.

Quote:
ANDY R: thanks for the response. Yes, I will sign up and add our reviews, which I should have done a while ago since we use it for site reconnaissance.
That would be great. It take contributions from lots of folks to make these resources useful. I'm sure I can speak for other Airstreamers that the more reviews, the better!

Quote:
After all these years and kids, isn't it time to buy a bigger trailer?
I bought a 1959 Tradewind with twin bunks on both sides. It will fit the whole family for a while. Should be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenfolder View Post
The only thing I hate worse than change is when everything stays the same!

Thanks for the new features. I continue to love the Forums!
Thanks for the kind words Stan!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I pay to access several sites that cater to my interests. Somehow, I've always had the feeling that the "pop ups" on the Airforums are electronic blackmail. On several occasions, the damn things keep popping up before I can sign in and a couple of times they have locked up the screen and I've had to reboot my iPád. In a way, it's a catch 22. In order to get rid of them, I have to pay.....
Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #42
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Well, I guess I'm too easy going. I just noticed the RV Life related stuff a couple weeks ago. I was curious about them, but certainly not annoyed. I followed a few of the interesting sounding links and not surprisingly found them to be interesting. This evening I did a bit of Google searching and found out what was going on. So far I have been pleased with the new function and association. The "ads" are definitely not in the way and easy to ignore if I were to choose to. In no way do I find them annoying. If anything I find them interesting when I choose to follow the links. When I searched Airforums, and found this thread this evening, I was surprised at some of the reactions.

To each his own I guess.

From me, Thanks for making the RV Life material easily available.

Ken