Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for the information! It's nice to see the other things available out there. I enjoy this forum, glad it's here and appreciate the Moderators very much! New and more information is always appreciated.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #16
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I've clicked on a few of the articles before finding this thread. It's unfortunate that most of the "articles" seem to be the text version of infomercials, where you have to read through a lot of text, only to get to a "buy this" portion of the article. And none of the articles I've read proved to be about products I want to buy. If there were more "real" articles (i.e about places and processes) and fewer infomercial ads (about products for sale), I'd be more inclined to read more of them.
Thanks for your honest feedback, it's much appreciated. I agree with your opinion about some of the articles and am planning a team meeting with the writers to address that. I want them to be very informative while still helping direct readers to the vast resources we have collected together (forum discussions, campground reviews, Airstream registry entries, etc). For example I could see an article on batteries for a solar setup and linking to discussions on the forums about batteries too.

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Small matter, but . . .

Can Admins and Mods correct spelling errors in the titles of threads? I know we can't after we start a thread.

Such a correction would be "Recommeded" here . . .

PS -- And ditto to the comments about this being a great site with very helpful Admins and Mods. Thank you . . .
Old 04-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Small matter, but . . .

Can Admins and Mods correct spelling errors in the titles of threads? I know we can't after we start a thread.

Such a correction would be "Recommeded" here . . .

Yes - my bad. I claim vulkem stuck to fingers...

When you see errors like this just hit the report post button on post one of the thread and ask for "improvement".

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Thanks for your honest feedback, it's much appreciated. I agree with your opinion about some of the articles and am planning a team meeting with the writers to address that. I want them to be very informative while still helping direct readers to the vast resources we have collected together (forum discussions, campground reviews, Airstream registry entries, etc). For example I could see an article on batteries for a solar setup and linking to discussions on the forums about batteries too.
Random idea, I've seen this done elsewhere. Nuke comments on any articles, post follow-up discussion on approprite forum.

The author will post a thread, that will allow people to comment and discuss the article here or on one of the other properties.

Thus continuing the discussion, exchange of ideas and creating double link juice for your SEO.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #20
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Random idea, I've seen this done elsewhere. Nuke comments on any articles, post follow-up discussion on approprite forum.

The author will post a thread, that will allow people to comment and discuss the article here or on one of the other properties.

Thus continuing the discussion, exchange of ideas and creating double link juice for your SEO.
Good idea. I'm less concerned about the link juice and more interested in fostering our communities. We'll have to figure out how we could do something like that while keeping the barrier to posting low enough so it's still convenient.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #21
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I guess I'm one of those people who don't like change particularly when it interferes/changes something that I thought worked perfectly well. As a supporting member I'm certainly going to attempt to turn this off.

I'm not particularly upset about them being at the bottom of the page but they are not really at the bottom of the page. They're near the bottom but create an annoying separation of the last post and the quick reply menu. Perhaps they can be moved so they really are at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.
Change just for the sake of change is so useless!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
FYI: They don't lay out correctly on an iPad.
This should be fixed now. We've also changed up the display so that there are fewer articles displaying for those logged in.

Thanks so much for the feedback

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 04-14-2016, 03:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Nice fine-tuning. I have already read some helpful articles. Wondering about the remote sites' Cookie policies, but since I clean cache frequently, I hope I have this concern covered.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It would be nice if the Black signing up screen would not pop up for a few seconds longer so I can finish logging in after reseting the browser and clearing the caches.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #25
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Nice fine-tuning. I have already read some helpful articles. Wondering about the remote sites' Cookie policies, but since I clean cache frequently, I hope I have this concern covered.
RV Life is now owned by us so the privacy policy is the same as here on AIR Forums. We are an ad supported business so cookies are used by services that we use to serve those ads (such as Google). If you are concerned or do not like retargeting ads then I would suggest opting out from the following link which tells most of the networks to knock it off:
http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
It would be nice if the Black signing up screen would not pop up for a few seconds longer so I can finish logging in after reseting the browser and clearing the caches.
ARe you talking about the Airstream Daily email screen? If so, that is disabled so it only shows once every 90 days but it uses a cookie to set that timer. So if you delete cookies, you will need to close the window before it will be suppressed again for 90 days. There is a setting to allow users to disable the prompt if you have cookies disabled but you will need to login each time.

I would suggest simply loading the site, counting to 5, close the Airstream Daily prompt and then logging in. If you try to login before it will just pop-up in front of you and you will have to close it to get back.

I understand this is a pain for some and apologies. The reason we use that modal window for the Airstread Daily is because it works. The Airstream Daily is now our #2 source of traffic allowing us to diversify our visitor traffic. This is important should we ever suffer a catastrophic Google algorithm blow. We have to focus on other ways to keep our audience coming back and the emails work.

If you are looking for quick easy ways to dump your cookies, try using incognito mode in the web browser. Cookies will only last for your current session. Once you close incognito mode they will all get dumped. That's a decent way to stay away from the ad cookies.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Excellent suggestion switz! Another 4 seconds to log in would benefit faithful readers immensely.

Edit -- Thanks Andy R for the details.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
. . .
ARe you talking about the Airstream Daily email screen? If so, that is disabled so it only shows once every 90 days but it uses a cookie to set that timer. So if you delete cookies, you will need to close the window before it will be suppressed again for 90 days.
. . .
Thanks for this useful bit of information. First time I heard of a cookie actually making it more pleasant to be online.

I have found that I can actually log in on my laptop (with real keyboard and mouse) faster than it takes for that screen to pop up, if I am ready that is! Not so on the iPad and iPhone where I do indeed wait the 5 seconds you suggest and close the pop-up.

Can't imagine NOT cleaning cache and deleting cookies very frequently during each online session. Too many bad guys out there . . .
Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #28
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Most browsers (and virus protection packages) will allow you you to selectively allow cookie exchange and retain those cookies with a specific site. Browsing choices are pretty personal, but if you have a site you frequent and trust you could explore this option to make browsing easier.

AirForums Custom Search