Old 10-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
1st -- Congrats on becoming a member! I know your trailer's been screaming for it ever since you gave her a makeover (an excellent one at that!)-- glad you decided to give the WBCCI a go!!

So congrats on joining the WBCCI! We're at opposite ends, but hoping to camp with you somewhere down the road...

__
The Beverly Beach Rally is still 2 weeks away. Plenty of time to get here !

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:08 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
No one likes rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I was starting to think I was the only one who felt that way!

Stephanie, you and the majority of people feel the same way. I have been a member of a number of organizations and most used Roberts Rules at their formal meetings. The reason being it is a documented set of standards and provides order. Many times it was use to stop the endless back and forth that would go on with out some orderly outcome. Just as you see threads take on a life of their own so do meeting, things are said and tempers flair. Just as a moderator stepping in on a thread the rules keep the discussion civilized.

Second Reason. I am a sailor when I am on my boat I am the Captain. I am charged with the welfare of the crew and guests on the boat. I am charged with the protection of the property of others and my own. This is not unlike the owner of a Land Yacht going down the road towing a expensive piece of aluminum. What these 2 activities have in common are that meek people do not do either one. You must have self-confidence, knowledge, experience, and a sense of adventure. The listed traits are also the same traits that people who are independent and have strong opinions to share with others possess, the rules help everyone to be heard.

Stephanie sit back enjoy the adventure, others will handle the business end. One day you may even take a shot at it. If we are ever at a meeting together you can sit in the back with me.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #115
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Been there -- done that. Even worse... I was recruited and just elected 2nd VP of the Metro Unit. I never intended to go there -- in fact I pointed them to every controversial thing I ever wrote or created (and that's a LOT of stuff) figuring they'd change their minds and RUN away. I seriously question their judgement for even wanting me --
Leo, maybe that's WHY they elected you. You are an iconoclast.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #116
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I think setting up closed forums inside a website that features openness in opinion and discourse limited only by standards of decency is WRONG.

I read just about everything I find on the forums about the WBCCI. I haven't decided whether I'll join or what unit I'm even interested in. Now what the WBCCI members have to say about their units and activities will no longer be available to me.

The really great part of this is that I contributed monetarily to this site because of the openness, the variety of subject matter, and the courteous discourse one generally finds here. I did not imagine that areas of the website (other than those necessary for housekeeping and maintaining order) would be cordoned off from a certain group in the near future, especially those of us who try to be helpful and exhibit correct behavior.

Furthermore, this was not even necessary. I understand that Andy hosts other units' webpages. I presume they're not here hiding somewhere under the airstreamforums.com domain name?

Well, that seems pretty natural, since unit-level websites are so specialized.

Carving out a chunk of THIS forum for so specialized a purpose does not seem to be in the best interest of this forum OR the rest of the members.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #117

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
I think setting up closed forums inside a website that features openness in opinion and discourse limited only by standards of decency is WRONG.

Carving out a chunk of THIS forum for so specialized a purpose does not seem to be in the best interest of this forum OR the rest of the members.

Lamar
Lamar, just a couple of thoughts here. First there isn't anything that says the WBCCI members will not post in public areas. The WBCCI area today will remain. You are making a large assumption that what is public today will be minimized. Successful units will still post items of general interest to the outside world. How else do you grow if you don't publicize yourself? In many cases items posted will probably be issues that are internal to the unit itself and would have never been posted publicly before.

Keep in mind that while Andy has been generous in providing WBCCI sites space for their web sites, that offer doesn't not include any ability to develop the forums interface on their web sites like you see here.

Also this is not carving out any of the existing forum. There will be no deletion of existing forum features. This is truly an addition to the forums and I envision that it will bring additional posts in the public areas from WBCCI members who have not frequented this site before.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Sorry folks. I've read the pro and con and I still see it as a positive. Nobodys takin food off your plate or limiting anything else on this forum. My Unit does not have a spot here so I gain nothing by this.

I always go for what helps the WBCCI. Yeah, it's got its problems but anything that old that has at its core such a cool concept ie Go out and explore and have fun while camping is worth the effort.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Excellent Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
This is truly an addition to the forums and I envision that it will bring additional posts in the public areas from WBCCI members who have not frequented this site before.

This is an excellent point; the additional traffic from the more senior WBCCI members may help to bring about some of the changes, which many are seeking by providing insight to what others are thinking and feeling. If the WBCCI Forums were located somewhere else they would be even more closed and out of the loop. I donít think the WBCCI forums would intimidate anyone here and the presence of the forums would not limit the exchange of ideas and opinions. Not with in this group.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 10-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #120
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I see the private forums as a potential to increase the posting in the WBCCI area of the public forum. The people that will be in the private forum will hash out what they need to, and post their final outcomes in the open forums for public discussion.
Personally, while I usually like the end result, I don't like to watch:
Puppies being born
Sausage being made
WBCCI activities being planned.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #121
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
And what the rest of the forum members don't know can't hurt them, right?

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
And what the rest of the forum members don't know can't hurt them, right?

Lamar
That's what PM's are for.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 10-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
So why isn't there a New England Unit forum?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #124
NEU Past President

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
So why isn't there a New England Unit forum?
Hey Over59 - I was just getting grumpy about this myself!

MOD-derator Chuck says all we need to do is ask. So, as Corresponding Secretary for the NEU I will ask for a forum to be set up for us, I will request to be the gatekeeper (I love power ). We'll then work out the details on how it could/should be used with the rest of our Unit.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:02 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Hey Over59 - I was just getting grumpy about this myself!

MOD-derator Chuck says all we need to do is ask. So, as Corresponding Secretary for the NEU I will ask for a forum to be set up for us, I will request to be the gatekeeper (I love power ). We'll then work out the details on how it could/should be used with the rest of our Unit.
If you need someone to second the motion to appoint Myboyburt as NEU forum moderator, I will be happy to do it.

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I see my unit has a forum. I went to check it out who is there and what it's like. I wonder how it was decided who is leader. Well I can tell you it felt "odd" to see that I must be "approved to join." I am not a big one on asking permissions and I would like to see what is going on there before I "join." Scheesh I barely know whether to reup to join WBCCI but now I can wonder if I want to join the unit forum.

I think instead of having to ask if I may join my unit when the lock out feature went in so should have the unit member "passes" gone in. WBCCI secret society? Hurrumph. No I won't ask to have the door opened, I'll just go where the welcome mat is already extended.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote