Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2006, 07:27 AM   #141
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Rog,

I think your argument is well founded.

I came to the opposite conclusion, however. Anything that keeps the WBCCI unit discussions OFF the MAIN PORTAL is a plus. I don't want or need to read through their rally planning and potluck discussions. Like Terry, I don't need to see the sausage being made.

On the same hand, if it brings in new users, it will be a plus for the forum's revenue river.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #142
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Rog,
I came to the opposite conclusion, however. Anything that keeps the WBCCI unit discussions OFF the MAIN PORTAL is a plus. I don't want or need to read through their rally planning and potluck discussions.
Wow! On the contrary, I actually enjoy reading the unit discussions on the main portal. The nice thing about thread titles, is that you can read the thread title BEFORE you open the thread so you don't have to read the posts you aren't interested in. Hence, any threads with the words "rally", "rendevous", "gathering", etc. could be an indicator for you to avoid the thread. Just my $.05.
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 AM   #143
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I don't think they should be private, I may wish to see what other areas are doing rally wise etc.

Why can't there be subforums, rally info open to all, member only etc.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
So, did you ask? What was the answer?
The NEU now has it's own WBCCI Forum thanks to the folks at the Airstream Knowledge Sharing Forums.

Working on figuring it out right now.....

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:43 AM   #145
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I have no interest in the WBCCI. I did not donate money to finance private forums which hold no interest for me. I see this as just another way to uneccesarily bulge the already overcrowded archives of information which should be of interest to all Airstream owners or wannabes. How long before we are asked to contribute to yet another server or non-Airstream forum?
If the WBCCI cannot be self-supporting, why should my donation to these forums be used to support them?
These forums are only free if you choose not to donate. How is it fair to use donated general funds to the advantage of a private organization?
IMHO, these forums should be in the general interest of all who have interest in investing money in an Airstream for personal use. If they choose to join a group which excludes other non-interested parties, they should be prepared to pay the cost of the exclusion.
I am in favor of keeping these forums of interest to all Airstreamers. I am not in favor of catering to private organizations or special interest groups.
So...you donated money, so the forum should be tailored to your specific interests??

airtreaming is a very broad topic. Everyone's interests are going to vary. There's lots of stuff on this forum in which I have little or no interest. In time, those interests might change. For example, there's lots of talk about new airstreams...there's talk about "boondocking", caravanning, etc...I have no interest in any of those things now. maybe someday. When I first got interested in airstreaming, I had no interest in the wbcci; now, it is at the center of my airstreaming experience. If you'd told me that 4 years ago, I'd have said, "you're crazy". While the wbcci may hold no interest for you now, you can't deny that it is a major "airstreaming" activity, for a great many.
The mods are always encouraging people to use descriptive titles in their new thread postings. I suggest that if you should see one that describes a conversation around or about the wbcci, you simply skip over it.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #146
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
And again... There will be no need to avoid the threads. Only members of the special access unit will see threads in that area.

Special access forums are intended for club biz e.g. agenda developement, long term planning, etc. These conversations would ordinarily not be posted on the main forum anyway and have often taken place via e-mail.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
The NEU now has it's own WBCCI Forum thanks to the folks at the Airstream Knowledge Sharing Forums.

Working on figuring it out right now.....
Way to go!

I'm tempted to ask

IS IT DONE YET

But I won't

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #148
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
So...you donated money, so the forum should be tailored to your specific interests??
That is rude. I did not ask for any custom tailoring or special privileges. I expressed concern about donating a chunk of the limited bandspace to a private organization. Considering the history of impaired access and sever changes due to overcrowding the bandspace, I believe it'a a legitimate concern.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #149
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
That is rude. I did not ask for any custom tailoring or special privileges. I expressed concern about donating a chunk of the limited bandspace to a private organization. Considering the history of impaired access and sever changes due to overcrowding the bandspace, I believe it'a a legitimate concern.
Rog, if you step back from your post and re-read it, it can be taken the way Chuck took it. As far as the WBCCI forums, they will probably not be that active, and activity is what consumes bandwidth. AndyR is working to upgrade the servers again so the extra bandwidth that is here can be handled.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Rally Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I don't think they should be private, I may wish to see what other areas are doing rally wise etc.

Why can't there be subforums, rally info open to all, member only etc.
I don't believe the rally information will be kept private. Their members would do the planning of a rally by a unit with in their group as it is done now. Once the planning is complete it would be published, I don’t see any difference.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #151
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Exclamation Caution!

Posting an opinion to this thread can earn you negative karma feedback as I just discovered. Right or wrong, I stand by my post as being a candid expression of my feelings of the overall effect of this new private forum. There goes the new t-shirt which was promised 2 years ago. Easy come, easy go, right?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #152
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
So????

Quote:
Posting an opinion to this thread can earn you negative karma feedback as I just discovered.
Reread the karma popup box. It simply says "I agree" or "I disagree". Any member has the privelege of disagreeing with any particular post.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #153
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Right, Rog, and what the rest of the forum doesn't know can't hurt them.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #154
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Reread the karma popup box. It simply says "I agree" or "I disagree". Any member has the privelege of disagreeing with any particular post.
Pahaska, I respect you tremendously as a valuable member of these forums. Some of your input has been very helpful to me. What I am disagreeing with is the ability of any member to harm the reputation of another simply because of a disagreement on facts or information intended in a constructive fashion.
Maybe I'm just too sensitive but I think there are better ways to resolve differences of opinion than posting negative karma.

Respectfully,
Roger

Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I don't think anyone sees our karma. It is invisible aura around our head (and heart.) Know what you mean Roger, the first time I received it I felt really bad.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Pahaska, I respect you tremendously as a valuable member of these forums. Some of your input has been very helpful to me. What I am disagreeing with is the ability of any member to harm the reputation of another simply because of a disagreement on facts or information intended in a constructive fashion.
Maybe I'm just too sensitive but I think there are better ways to resolve differences of opinion than posting negative karma.

Respectfully,
Roger
I think negative Karma should be eliminated rather than the WBCCI private forums. I am sorry I contributed to a Forum that still allows Negative Karma. There I've said it.

In actuality, I came to this conclusion a long time ago when I received Negative Karma and the reason provided by the giver had nothing to do with the content of my post. I tried to get it removed, which I was told was not possible. My opinion then and now is that if you can't say something in public (i.e. you'd get censored if you put it in a reply), you shouldn't be able to put it in Negative Karma that only the recipient can see. I have never given it, and never will, but some folks test that resolve from time to time. I just plain see Negative Karma as "not playing nice". The ability to give it should be removed from the forums entirely. And as an aside, that Negative Karma I recieved has created a rift between the giver and myself that is still there many months later. The giver is probably a great guy most of the time, but I have not communicated with him since. The opportunity for a freindship was destroyed by Negative Karma.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
...And as an aside, that Negative Karma I recieved has created a rift between the giver and myself that is still there many months later. The giver is probably a great guy most of the time, but I have not communicated with him since. The opportunity for a freindship was destroyed by Negative Karma...
I understand what you are saying. There have been times here and there over the years on this forum where my reaction to a post was to give out negative karma but I didn't and I still won't. I don't understand the purpose of it (i.e., disagreeing in private?) and fear it would create an unnecessary rift between my self and the recipient. I prefer to "respectively" disagree in public as I feel that the negative karma option is not a viable way to do that. If there is no way I can "respectively" disagree, then I keep my mouth shut.

IMHO, life is too short for giving or receiving negative karma.

I make a motion that everyone gives Roger a shot of good karma! If you accept my motion, just give him the karma instead of raising your hand!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:12 AM   #158
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Negative karma?

Keep the negative karma. The times I've received negative karma, it was usually an idiot who didn't understand the issue, or an irrational bully.

I like knowing who they are, and they reveal themselves with their petty little jabs.

Let it roll.

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #159

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
ASForum staff is not actively recruiting Units to sign-up. No email/mailing has been sent out to the WBCCI Presidents to encourage involvement, like Steph said, it's slow. If Forum members that ARE involved in WBCCI want to initiate a Unit Forum, they are welcome too. As more & more do...others will join, the "me too" syndrome.

Shari
I recruited our local pres for the Greater St. Louis Unit 058 last week. He talked about it at the state rally with the local officers who were cool to the idea. I did get an email from him yesterday and he did request that we set a site up. He thinks the folks will warm up to it once they get past the hurdles of registering with the forums (I assume you need to be a member).

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I recruited our local pres for the Greater St. Louis Unit 058 last week. He talked about it at the state rally with the local officers who were cool to the idea.
That's fine, I'm not saying nobody has individually talked to people about joining in, obviously that has occured for there to be a few set-up...there's just not been a formal recruiting effort to date.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote