Old 10-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #71
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot

bread pudding?.....We will all miss that.

Bill
hi bill...
ya know we just might just miss some special recipes and regional foods...
gotta love bread pudding!

remember if it weren't for the george bush thread we'd not have any great meatloaf!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:11 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Have to chime in here

Quote:
Those unit forums belong on WBCCI.org for the good of the club, the good of WBCCI.org. It's wonderful of everyone here (Andy & Company) to provide the service. It's just that this should be the kick in the pants WBCCI needs to get serious about their website and initiate those things (unit webhosting & unit forums THERE -- not HERE).
Yes, I agree. But, if it is hosted here for free the pressure is off the WB to do anything at all. My question is, why would the WB go to all the effort now that the private unit forums are here ?

I do see the value in having an area for each unit to conduct their business. I also think that it really belongs on the WB website in some fashion.

But, as 2air and Bill mentioned, will there be rally planning in the private forums ? Won't the rest of the membership of the forums miss out on the unique process if it is planned behind closed doors ? Sure we have seen tons of rallies planned already. I am talking about the unique details of each individual rally.

What about making the unit forums available to everyone to read but not post unless you are a unit member ? Or maybe make it available for the premium members to read. Just a thought.

I think it is very generous of Andy to make this available to the WB units.

As you can tell, I am skeptical of this this new feature.

Just so you all know I will be a member of the WB before months end. So I am interested in seeing how this works out, or not.

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:30 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
OK, after all this discussion, are we in the NEU going to have a unit forum?
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandcarla
OK, after all this discussion, are we in the NEU going to have a unit forum?
Let's see. I know of at least two MODerators that are NEU members. I'm sure they have something in the works. I hope those members that are not Forums members don't feel left out and won't be missing something.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:23 AM   #75
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Let's see. I know of at least two MODerators that are NEU members. I'm sure they have something in the works. I hope those members that are not Forums members don't feel left out and won't be missing something.
I don't think anything has been officially decided yet with regards to NEU participation. Informal preliminary discussions were held at the fall business meeting and most were against it. The way things were left was that Chuck would investigate it and report back to the BOD. I haven't seen a report yet so I can only assume that Chuck hasn't finished his investigation/write-up.

Technically, for this to be approved for the NEU, it needs to go thru a few "formal" steps:

1) Proposal written up and sent to the NEU President and BOD for review or presented at the Spring business meeting.
2) The NEU membership would also need to get involved in the decision making process because this change in communication venue will affect our member's ability to communicate on NEU business items, i.e., some NEU members don't use the internet hence this new process would inherently exclude members. We would need to publicize the proposal via the newsletter and either offer voting via mailed ballot or wait for spring bix mtg and vote then.

My $.02: this change will affect non-internet users so my recommendation is to propose to membership and vote via mailed ballot (i.e., not thru the business mtg venue). There are many members who don't attend our business meetings or even tow any longer but they are still interested in the club and the club's business. It is unfair to exclude them because they don't participate in a certain communication channel. To reach out to all members, we need to do it using a communication means that reaches everyone. At this point, that "all-inclusive" communication channel is only postal mail. I'm not sure I'm even comfortable with voting on this either because the non-Internet users are clearly in the minority and would easily get out-voted. In all fairness, I'm thinking out loud that perhaps the NEU won't be able to participate in this new process until all NEU users are on the internet.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #76
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Your endorsed websites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I would have much preferred that members, unit leaders asked HQ for the very same and if they didn't/couldn't get it that they'd bitch the high heavens here about it.
Those unit forums belong on WBCCI.org for the good of the club, the good of WBCCI.org. It's wonderful of everyone here (Andy & Company) to provide the service. It's just that this should be the kick in the pants WBCCI needs to get serious about their website and initiate those things (unit webhosting & unit forums THERE -- not HERE).
__
Did you request that the two sites listed in your signature be posted at WBCCI.org? If yes, did you B#tch to high heavan?

I believe that those sites were promoted right here on the forums and actually directed members or guests away from this forum. (Is that a good thing for this forum?) I believe Andy mentioned that his goal (s) included attracting more visitors to THIS site.

I indicated this long ago right here on this forum and in the Blue Beret, and this is more proof, that the number one discussed subject on this forum, love it or hate it, is the WBCCI!

It is good to be a particpant again in this forum. I have stepped back and just lurked but it is good to contribute again. I am dusting off my old WBCCI cheerleading Pom Poms
Old 10-13-2006, 07:03 AM   #77
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
smily

Welcome back Ken.I have missed your posts and your contributions.There are always enough Pom Poms to go around.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #78
Site Team

, Minnesota
Participation

I think this is a bad idea and will lead to further fractionation and decay of WBCCI.

If you are a unit member who doesn't belong to these forums, how would you feel if you were told "We already discussed that on the airstreamforums and decided not to do it". I would feel really excluded.

If you choose to join the WBCCI, your full participation should not be conditional on joining and participating in airstreamforums. If you have something to say about your WBCCI unit, you should not have to belong to a different, non-affiliated, not-accountable-to-the-WBCCI forum.

The airstreamforums are not subject to the rules, regulations, and by-laws of the WBCCI. That's the main problem. It's a 'governance' issue.

If a unit votes to adopt the airstreamforums as their meeting venue and secretary, I would be OK with it. Otherwise, it becomes a private clique that would create divisions in the units.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #79
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
If you are a unit member who doesn't belong to these forums, how would you feel if you were told "We already discussed that on the airstreamforums and decided not to do it". I would feel really excluded.
Me Too. But the reality is that many unit members are unable to attend meetings that are either many hours drive or held during lunch on a weekday. Not only is there no opportunity for input, there is no opportunity to read meeting minutes after the fact.

In my part of the world, the nearest UNIT is a four hour drive. It would be nice to have an opportunity for input, even if only casual. A posted agenda with a solicitation/venue for input would be a welcome addition. I imagine that most units will still hold real time meetings, but now they may be able to do it with a better idea of what the membership wants.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #80
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
. . In my part of the world, the nearest UNIT is a four hour drive. It would be nice to have an opportunity for input, even if only casual. .
Janet,

I understand the hardship involved for you. However, that was part of the deal when you signed up. You knew it would be difficult to attend the meetings, but you agreed to the existing conditions when you sent in your money.

I'm afraid these private forums will become a substitute for face-to-face official meetings. It will be easier for some, like you, to participate. But it will also become harder for the non-airstreamforum members to participate.

I won't say this is an attempt by the Airstreamforums to take over the WBCCI, but a conspiracy theorist might see it that way.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Mark, Mark, Mark... (sigh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Janet,

I'm afraid these private forums will become a substitute for face-to-face official meetings. It will be easier for some, like you, to participate. But it will also become harder for the non-airstreamforum members to participate.

I won't say this is an attempt by the Airstreamforums to take over the WBCCI, but a conspiracy theorist might see it that way.
One key objective of the FCU was to create a unit for those of us who want to use the internet for meetings and polls. We are looking for a substitute for face-to-face meetings. It's an "alternative" approach, a paradigm shift. There are plenty of traditional units for those who want face-to-face, and snail mail, and business meetings at rallies, and Teen Queen Contests, etc. To tell someone, "you knew it would be difficult to attend the meetings, but you agreed to the existing condtions when you sent in your money" is just the kind of attitude that we were seeking to change by making it easier for far flung members to participate, not more difficult.

Why should belonging to WBCCI be like the double-run of the obstacle course every morning before breakfast, or advancing against a defended postion through grazing, enfilade fire?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I've read part but not all of this thread. My question: have the local WBCCI units requested this inclusion on this forum? Has it been okayed with the WBCCI gurus themselves? After all, while some of us do belong to WBCCI, this forum is a wholly separate entity. This might be an okay discussion for WBCCI-Forum members to get together to discuss "stuff" just as they might at a lunch table or campfire,--and then take their discussed ideas back to the actual unit, but this should not fringe on the business sector of the unit itself--as much as that might make business easier for many because of distance or timing. That seems like "hijacking" the unit, to me. When I think of it this way, I too think that this is fringing on the risky edge of creating even more unfriendly distance between some WBCCI and others. And I know that is not the intent of this initiative Just my thoughts~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #83
_

. , .
hi janet and others

the frustrations you note seem common amoung wb units...

getting together is so difficult. mail isn't instant, and so on.

so what the wbcci should do is appoint a director of communications...
"modern communications"....perhaps one for each region...

a web savy, tech wise person to help each and every unit have a web site.

with a unit website many/most things from membership lists to newsletters to meeting minutes and calendars could be widely available...voting or cyber meetings would be just a few modifications away...

andyr has offered and does host club websites...this is a wonderful thing!

i do realize not every member or unit is computer savy,
so a few early meetings (winter stuff instead of going on coffin tours) could be focused on gettting members on line....

those that don't have computers can learn to go to the library and use public terminals...it is easy.

print mail can and should still be used...

and units could vote NOT to use electronic media...just watch those unit shrink....

chris's point and mine and others is that doing this for the wb delays their own move toward the inevitable...

i read people suggesting....'i already come here, so do my friends, so lets do it here'...
that is such lazy thinking and risks losing club idenity and control for a few key strokes....

again the save wally group are a force now partly because they stopped relying on moderated threads here....
they made a great move out of a strong need and an important issue...

wb units are doing great websites already....regions can advance by following the models of the better units...

it will work.

right now i'm thinking we need a private chat area here for hensley users...we will only discuss the hitch, honest...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
There are many members who don't attend our business meetings or even tow any longer but they are still interested in the club and the club's business. It is unfair to exclude them because they don't participate in a certain communication channel. To reach out to all members, we need to do it using a communication means that reaches everyone. At this point, that "all-inclusive" communication channel is only postal mail. I'm not sure I'm even comfortable with voting on this either because the non-Internet users are clearly in the minority and would easily get out-voted. In all fairness, I'm thinking out loud that perhaps the NEU won't be able to participate in this new process until all NEU users are on the internet.
I see your points, but I don't agree about not using the private forum for these reasons. For those who don't/can't attend business meetings but are interested in club business, it's already unfair that they don't have any opportunity to participate in the discussion. As long as you're just opening up the forum for discussion, not decisionmaking, then it's just enhancing your unit's government by opening up new lines of communication. As long as your forum is available to anyone in the unit who wants to take part, then it's fair. People can choose to take part or not, just as they can choose to attend or not attend the business meeting. (Yes, I realize some people are not internet savvy, don't own computers, etc., but this can be equated to some people living 2000 miles away from the business rally, or not being able to attend for health reasons, etc.) From my viewpoint, the rally business meeting is not as fair as the forum discussion because it is less convenient to the most people ("non-internet users are in the minority"), and it's where the decisionmaking takes place. Face-to-face contact is good and it should remain, but the forum doesn't replace it it only augments it.

We have gone through this in our local school system. For a long time the school newsletter was done only on paper and sent home with kids. People complained then that the kids lost it. Then the school began to be post the newsletter to the school website for parents. Next the newsletter was sent to everyone electronically along with the paper issue sent home with kids. And now, the paper issue is no longer sent home with kids, and anyone who wants to see can access it by computer or request a copy from the school. The newsletter is just a source of information. No school board decisions are made using the computer email list. The biggest complaint now is information overload.

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote