Old 10-12-2006, 07:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
How does taking official business away from the official WBCCI site help the WBCCI?
It's not taking anything away from the WBCCI website. ASforums has created something that doesn't exist on the WBCCI website. If the WBCCI wants to create this on their website, they are free to do it.

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #16
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Where is "Official" mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
You asked and we listened: We are pleased to offer private discussion areas for individual units of the WBCCI.

This new feature is available (free of course) to established units as well as those just organizing. It can be used for club discussions, rally development, to post announcements and even for voting through the use of polls. These special access areas can only be viewed by members of that private area/forum.

If your unit is interested in setting up a club forum, please contact one of the AirstreamForums.com moderators. We are happy to help. Each units forum will have a leader chosen by your unit who will act as your special areas’ moderator. Your moderator will grant access to joining members, keep conversation within the bounds of the AirstreamForums.com rules and keep your clubs area running smoothly.

Find out if your unit has set up a special access forum already by clicking on "WBCCI Unit Forums" on the quick links menu (left side of each page). We hope that this new feature helps your unit communicate and grow.
I do see where discussion and conversation is mentioned along with some other minor benefits but "official"?????
Looks about as official as anything else on this forum (disclaimers everywhere ) and I have been hanging out here for a few years now.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:39 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Personally I find this a very kind gesture to the WBCCI community and quite honestly those folks from WBCCI who haven't ventured here before will hopefully stay around and participate in the public side of the forums. I think they will be quite surprised to see the amount of information here.

I've already contacted our unit president regarding this and am awaiting his response.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
It's not taking anything away from the WBCCI website. ASforums has created something that doesn't exist on the WBCCI website. If the WBCCI wants to create this on their website, they are free to do it.
Also keep in mind that we were here before Airstream's forum also!

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Thanks AndyR for doing this. Not only will this aide the FCU which I'm all for but it allows other non computer savy Units to gain easy free online communication. A step into the future for the Units willing to take it.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #20
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Moderator hat off: I am the web mistress for the OR unit. I approached the WBCCI about hosting a site for the OR unit. They were unable to oblige. I asked for a link to the OR unit they were unable to oblige. This forum was happy to help.

I think this may be an example of an organization changing from the bottom, up, rather than the top, down. I agree that the WBCCI should provide these services. But since they don't and there is need, members find other ways.

These forums are set up only after a request has been made and each unit must make their choices. Each unit conducts business a little differently and finds ways to communicate with it's members and not every unit makes the same choices. Here is another choice.

Moderator hat on: We have open WBCCI forums in our community section and have for years - it has been a good thing. There have been all kinds of discussion. Recently The WBCCI set up a members forum and that's a good thing. I have often wondered if they would have set that forum up if this forum wasn't here. I bet not.

There is some club info that should not be published on an open forum e.g. minutes, some discussions etc. As an example a club could post a poll "proposed caravan/expenses - do we want to spend our resources on this"? This is not appropriate on the forums open boards but is a dialog that unit members might want to participate in.

Maybe the WBCCI will follow suit on their website - maybe not. But anything that promotes Airstreams, WBCCI and increases visibility is good.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Janet and Andy....a big THANKS .

I'm sure many will find this resource helpful.It's there for those who WANT to use it.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Thanks for setting this up for the WBCCI Units. I just went in, applied, and was approved to joint the Unit #137 Forum, but now approved I cannot actually find that forum. Please tell me where it is.
Hi - Once you have joined you should be able to see the club forum in the forum page lists. To find the forum, open the forums page on this site (tab at top).

You should see the forum in the list with the others....
Brand new forums with almost no threads look a little strange - let me know if you have trouble. we're still learning as well .....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
A Point of Clarification...

For 2air, Uwe, and others who have expressed concern.

Blame me and Airstream25 for this great new way to support internet based meetings and polls. We saw the need to have the means to conduct our FCU business meetings and polls in a members-only nook on the Airstream Forums. I think you can see why we would only want "Unit" members voting on unit business.

One of our main objectives was to eliminate meetings during camping trips. We could not demonstrate this basic objective of our proposed unit if we could not have the capability to conduct virtual meetings and internet polls.

I am no longer involved with the revived effort to go straight for a Permanent Charter at the next IBT. If I have misrepresented anything, I hope Airstream25 will chime in.

Thanks Airstream Forums!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #24
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Ken, your request was the latest...

We have had quite a few of these requests and finally figured that we should try it. We have also had requests for "private" chat rooms, but to date, haven't set them up. They are harder to manage, the user tech issues are more prickly and they don't allow leisurely discussion.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Dang...

Quote:
Ken, your request was the latest...

We have had quite a few of these requests and finally figured that we should try it. We have also had requests for "private" chat rooms, but to date, haven't set them up. They are harder to manage, the user tech issues are more prickly and they don't allow leisurely discussion.
I thought it was our idea that got the ball rolling.
Is there nothing new under the sun?
(With apologies to the Greek who gave us the answer to that question.)
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think this is a great idea. If our unit took to this idea, I would be happy to stay in closer touch with my fellow locals. I would be less likely to use it at the WBCCI forum though, because frankly, the software isn't as good. Although I am a member over there, I am still unable to post.

Also, I think AndyR is on the right track. After all, his goal is to get all the members he can here to keep this a vibrant and lively community. Unit communications is an area which is being ignored by the WBCCI - like Janet said, they don't provide any web support and won't even put links on their webpage - so AndyR is taking up the slack. It will bring more experienced ASers here to use the regular forums, and that's a good thing.

It's a free market. If the WBCCI won't support it's own units, then someone else will.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #27
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Ignore List

You kids can't watch that station, change the channel NOW.Heard that when I was growing up. I looked into joining the official club but after reading the by laws and looking at pictures of AS lined up in a field with folks wearing blue beannies I decided it wasn't for me. That's my choice, this is a free use site, kinda nice, I've helped a few with my posts and have gained Knowledge from others. And I think great people belong to the official club,that's their thing. So it goes, change the channel if you don't like it. Or put it on your own ignore list, oops I'm approaching my 5 minute limit, I hate using all my minutes up early in the day. Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Hi - Once you have joined you should be able to see the club forum in the forum page lists. To find the forum, open the forums page on this site (tab at top).

You should see the forum in the list with the others....
Brand new forums with almost no threads look a little strange - let me know if you have trouble. we're still learning as well .....
Janet,
That's what I tried and still see nothing, not on the "Forums View", nor in the "WBCCI Unit Forums" Quick Link. The quick link apparently only allows you to sign up for a Unit Forum, not actually see it. Now I'll admit if the new Unit Forum is buried down under some Major Heading (e.g. Rally Zone), I haven't been able to find it, but then I didn't really look too hard, because none seemed logical.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote