Old 10-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #127
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I see my unit has a forum. I went to check it out who is there and what it's like. I wonder how it was decided who is leader. Well I can tell you it felt "odd" to see that I must be "approved to join." I am not a big one on asking permissions and I would like to see what is going on there before I "join." Scheesh I barely know whether to reup to join WBCCI but now I can wonder if I want to join the unit forum.

I think instead of having to ask if I may join my unit when the lock out feature went in so should have the unit member "passes" gone in. WBCCI secret society? Hurrumph. No I won't ask to have the door opened, I'll just go where the welcome mat is already extended.

Our unit has decided to put this to a vote at the next rally before any decision is made.This way our members who attend are part of the process and no one will feel excluded.Online votes will also be considered.
Thanks Andy for making this addition to the forums regardless of whether our unit participates or not.It's nice to have another option for unit communications.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #128
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
only three!

It seems that this site gets way more traffic than the WBcci site,
but I only see 3 units have signed up.

Does that mean there is a resistance to put these forums here
rather than at the WBCCI.org site?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #129

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think things move slowly in the WBCCI. There is no imperitive for units to sign up quickly. But the space is available for them if they decide they want to use it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
So why isn't there a New England Unit forum?
Heard talk about it, how's it coming??
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #131
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I think instead of having to ask if I may join my unit when the lock out feature went in so should have the unit member "passes" gone in. .
This is possible. If your forum leader can put together a list of user names for your unit, we can simply join them all!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
This is possible. If your forum leader can put together a list of user names for your unit, we can simply join them all!
I think that's splendid. Thanks Janet.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Don't forget the welcome mat...

Quote:
In addition to opening the door for all the members of ASForums who are known to be a member of the unit, it would be nice of the (unit forum) moderator to send a note out to everyone in their unit they have an email address for, introducing them to the new forum and inviting them to join ASForums (if they aren't already a member) and the discussion going on in the unit forum there.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 PM   #134
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I think things move slowly in the WBCCI. There is no imperitive for units to sign up quickly. But the space is available for them if they decide they want to use it.
ASForum staff is not actively recruiting Units to sign-up. No email/mailing has been sent out to the WBCCI Presidents to encourage involvement, like Steph said, it's slow. If Forum members that ARE involved in WBCCI want to initiate a Unit Forum, they are welcome too. As more & more do...others will join, the "me too" syndrome.

When I started the DenCO Unit website about 4 years ago, there weren't very many other Units with them...now most have them or are trying to get them going. There was a Communications Seminar at Int'l 2005 where a panel of "experts" discussed various communication tools; ie. newsletter, directory, website and the advantages/disadvantages of each. It was very well attended, I'd like to think this may have triggered some units to building their websites recently.

I suspect, the private forums will pick up speed once more folks find out about them. And if not, maybe they aren't needed after all or another media (private websites, WBCCI Forum, ???) will meet the need.

If we as a Forum don't evolve to meet needs, won't we become as stagnate as some accuse the "WBCCI Old Timers" of becoming? Change and growth are good IMO.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #135
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets

Does that mean there is a resistance to put these forums here
I think it means that the units that are aware of this option (and we have not solicited them) are considering whether or not this is a good option for them. I would expect that to take some time.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets

Does that mean there is a resistance to put these forums here.
I'll mention these private areas at our next rally, but I very much doubt that our unit will be interested. We have a website and everyone has the email addresses of the entire unit which are used constantly to exchange information, set up lunch dates, etc. In our instance, anything more would be unneeded.
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:53 PM   #137
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I think it means that the units that are aware of this option (and we have not solicited them) are considering whether or not this is a good option for them. I would expect that to take some time.
Our unit will discuss and possibly vote on it at the next business meeting. I know if it is approved, we already have our group's leader/moderator/whatever you want to call it selected.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Our unit has decided to put this to a vote at the next rally before any decision is made.This way our members who attend are part of the process and no one will feel excluded.Online votes will also be considered.
Thanks Andy for making this addition to the forums regardless of whether our unit participates or not.It's nice to have another option for unit communications.
You will want to check your constitution about online votes. Many unit constitutions only provide for in person voting. Besides, it has no "official" significance anyway. It's only a convenience not a governance process.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
MOD-derator Chuck says all we need to do is ask. So, as Corresponding Secretary for the NEU I will ask for a forum to be set up for us, I will request to be the gatekeeper (I love power ). We'll then work out the details on how it could/should be used with the rest of our Unit.
So, did you ask? What was the answer?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:02 PM   #140
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Is there a way to block these threads?

I have no interest in the WBCCI. I did not donate money to finance private forums which hold no interest for me. I see this as just another way to uneccesarily bulge the already overcrowded archives of information which should be of interest to all Airstream owners or wannabes. How long before we are asked to contribute to yet another server or non-Airstream forum?
If the WBCCI cannot be self-supporting, why should my donation to these forums be used to support them?
These forums are only free if you choose not to donate. How is it fair to use donated general funds to the advantage of a private organization?
IMHO, these forums should be in the general interest of all who have interest in investing money in an Airstream for personal use. If they choose to join a group which excludes other non-interested parties, they should be prepared to pay the cost of the exclusion.
I am in favor of keeping these forums of interest to all Airstreamers. I am not in favor of catering to private organizations or special interest groups.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote