Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If this is coordinated through the Forum, access to a computer or smart phone or something yet to be invented (Dick Tracy's wrist radio?) would be needed. You can use a computer at a public library so you don't have to own one.

I don't have answers to the rest of your questions—answers will develop. I don't know much about the NorCal group, but they appear to be friends who publicize their rallies through the Forum. An idea is probably knocked around over a campfire or via PM's or otherwise, some agreement is reached, someone contacts a CG, gets information, perhaps reservations are made, or people make them individually, and it happens. I think they go to some places regularly, others are new. Seems to work for them and maybe they'll post here and tell us how they developed this anti-structure structure.

Others can come up with other ideas and surely will. I can see the outlines of the idea, but I'm an old guy with expertise in corporate and nonprofit law and organization. I'm probably the last guy to create a group that's different, but I am trying to visualize it.

It doesn't have to be an organizational copy of the WBCCI. It is not a challenge to the WBCCI. I am trying to understand the meaning of your posts, Fred. Is it that you perceive this as a threat to the WBCCI or the 4CU? It is something as yet undefined. Regardless of what happens through the Forum the WBCCI will stand or fall on its own. If it doesn't thrive, that will be its responsibility, not anyone else's, and something will fill the vacuum.

I cannot tell you the rules, basic or complicated, or costs, if any, of something not yet in existence. I think the idea is do whatever you want as individuals or groups. Any person or group can establish a presence for group action on this Forum. The group or individual will establish whatever they want to—bylaws if they want them, none of they don't, marching bands if they want, perhaps circles of friends just getting together and communicating through the Forum. There will be different models ranging across the board.

Let's see what happens.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #22
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
*The Little Bear is a famous or infamous saloon in Evergreen, Colo. Barb and I met there proving you never know what to expect when you glo somewhere.
I love the Little Bear (and Evergreen). What a great little venue where some amazing acts such as Bo Diddley, Willie Nelson, Johnny Lee Hooker, and Leon Russell have played.

I'd like to be part of a group focused on Colorado Concerts, the Colorado Concert 'Streamers! With great events like Telluride Bluegrass, a whole summer of events at Red Rocks, bondocking outside of Aspen at Labor Day for the Jazz Aspen Festival or other summer music events. I need to move back to Colorado, the summers are just spectacular...
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #23
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I hope no one minds me posting something about the original topic of this thread.
What is the result of forming a group? Can members correspond among themselves without the threads showing up on the portal? Anything else?
Regards,
Ken
Thanks for asking

This feature is in it's infancy but as it develops, members of a specific group will be able to correspond, set up shared photo albums and more.

Currently active features include the ability to message all members of a group via PM at once which is really useful for rally planning updates, the ability to sort the rally calendar for the groups events, ability to place rallies on the rally map (this happens automatically when you add a new rally to the calendar) and sort rally discussions by group.

If you want to explore some of these features, join a group and then go to your user CP and click on social groups (name changing soon).

When this idea was originally conceived, we were envisioning "AIR Nodes" a confluence of AIR Forums members both in the ether and at camping spots around the world. These groups are fluid and their make up can change with the individual desires of the member. It's fast, real time and takes very little organization. Any group member can post a rally or rally discussion thread and attach the groups ID to it - no leader required.

This feature is about connecting AIR members with a passion for camping with other Airstreamers. It's a simple concept and in response to members obvious desire to group up and camp. Looking back over the years of rally listings on the calendar and scores of rally discussion threads was the first clue that there was a need for this Members are already doing this very thing - we are simply offering some tools to make the organizational chunk of this easier. Less bureaucracy - more camping!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Andy, when we saw Bo Diddley at the Bear (as locals call it) I think you would have been underage. He performed his sets sitting down as he has just had some surgical procedure, but he was great. I first saw him at an Alan Fried concert at the NY Paramount in around 1957 or '58. The next time was at a free concert in Miami in the late '80's. A great and innovative rock 'n' roller But we are bordering on hijacking now.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #25
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
What is the result of forming a group? Can members correspond among themselves without the threads showing up on the portal? Anything else?
The result is an easy way to organize information that's already on the site so people don't have to go to a handful of places to see what's going on near them. Right now members plan rallies in the rally forums, they put events on the calendar, they talk about stuff in private forums (and some in public areas) so it's all over the place and hard to find. This system is intended to make it easy to navigate to that information. If you go to this link:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/dto_clubs.php?f=name

From there you can click on the name of the club/group in the left hand column and a pop-up will show you details about the club/group, upcoming events, and past events. We still have some items to work out on that page but the goal is to make it so you can link to photos from the event and link to the planning discussion thus making it easy to see info that's scattered around the site.

Another benefit is the map view which will allow people to see clubs/groups near them. Here is the link:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/dto_clubs.php

This will help new Airstream owners find others near them and see the different options available.

It's going to take a while to get all the kinks out and our systems setup to link everything together. We have so much data in different places and it needs to be "tagged" so we can pull it together. On top of that we have to train our mod team and then train our members on how to do this so it's easier to manage in the long run. If we set this up right people will look to the directory as the place and if something is missing go tag it properly so it's listed.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Thanks Janet and Andy,
I have a better understanding now, and I will look around at the links and see what I can learn. I am definitely not a group camper, but I can see this as a way for Airstreamers with non Airstream common interests to exchange info and ideas. Is that appropriate?
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Fred,

Maybe this would be better off in it's own thread?
I agree 100%.

I don't mean this to be critical, but rather an explanation, and it is not directed at you, as you were the one to recognize the problem.

They recently added a feature to the forum allowing users to ignore (not have to see) threads that they are not interested in. For me this includes all threads that are discussions of the pros and cons of WBCCI or any other similar organization. With the ignore feature, I can check and see what the thread is and ignore it if appropriate and go happily on. This allows more threads, that I am interested in, to appear in the portal. However, when people continue to introduce these discussions in threads that have been started for another purpose, It defeats the whole purpose of the ignore system.
I am interested in the actual subject of this thread, but to follow it, I am forced to wade through a bunch of off subject material that I do not care for.
For those that are still reading this, thanks for taking the time.
Regards,
Ken
P.S. Before anyone points it out to me, I realize this is also off topic.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
Fred,

Maybe this would be better off in it's own thread?
Quote:
...I am interested in the actual subject of this thread, but to follow it, I am forced to wade through a bunch of off subject material that I do not care for...
big DITTO here ken...

and wx' has made a FINE post on the wb' that fits wonderfully in 100s of those threads...

NOW IF wee' will MAN UP and start a thread on suggestions for FIXING the club...

that is OPEN to everyone...

i will make ONE POST in reply 2 that question,

with the REAL WAY to fix it, and without question the ONLY way to fix it.

but NOT in this string,

so wha du u say wee?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Fred . . . Maybe this would be better off in it's own thread?
A new thread has been started for a new Airstream Club structural and organizational ideas. Would the mods please move to that thread any posts in this thread that belong there rather than here. Thanks! Now back to your regular programming . . .
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #30
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
A new thread has been started for a new Airstream Club structural and organizational ideas. Would the mods please move to that thread any posts in this thread that belong there rather than here. Thanks! Now back to your regular programming . . .
Unfortunately, posts are filed in chronological order so moving all these posts to your new thread is problematic... but thanks for taking that discussion to the new thread located here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...lub-58427.html

This current thread is specifically for new club and group software features on this board

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
All,

I asked that my last post be deleted. I meant no offense or to get off topic. I was just trying to explain the reason behind why I thought a time oriented "where streaming" map would fill the gaps.

How about a edit or delete post button??!!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:

How about a edit or delete post button??!!
Hi wxbuoy, The edit button is in the lower right corner of the post. You only have about 15 min. to make any changes before you have to ask for a moderator to help.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote