Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
San Juan Capistrano , California
New category idea: Brands & parts sourcing page

Dear Airstreamers, I've been reading and learning a lot from this great website for a couple months now as we restore and rebuild out '72 Overlander. But I seem to find one thing missing; a good easy to get to source page. Say I want to know which water pumps fellow members have been using. You have to read a bunch of threads to find out what people are using and this is great, but time consuming when you want to know what brands are out there.

How about a page, with several categories (water heaters, water pumps, furnaces, ovens, lights, paint, hitches etc.) Where you can click on an item, and see listings of the brands that are out there, and these brands can be ranked by members as far as quality and cost.

It seems to me that this would be a quick way to get answers, and brand names and info. and where they can be found. Any thoughts? Where do we take this idea to make it happen on this website?

Hope this works out.
Ron Althouse
'72 Airstream
Newport Beach, CA
surferstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferstyler
Dear Airstreamers, I've been reading and learning a lot from this great website for a couple months now as we restore and rebuild out '72 Overlander. But I seem to find one thing missing; a good easy to get to source page. Say I want to know which water pumps fellow members have been using. You have to read a bunch of threads to find out what people are using and this is great, but time consuming when you want to know what brands are out there.

How about a page, with several categories (water heaters, water pumps, furnaces, ovens, lights, paint, hitches etc.) Where you can click on an item, and see listings of the brands that are out there, and these brands can be ranked by members as far as quality and cost.

It seems to me that this would be a quick way to get answers, and brand names and info. and where they can be found. Any thoughts? Where do we take this idea to make it happen on this website?

Hope this works out.
Ron Althouse
'72 Airstream
Newport Beach, CA
Great idea ! and you have gone to the right place. Andy and the moderators will see it right here.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Ron- Is this-airstreamtrailers.com- kind of what your talking about?--jim
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Idea continued

That website is nice, but I would like to see something on this website that would be a reference page, that could list the major items, appliances etc on the airstreams. You click on the one of your interest, then the next page shows brands and models that A/S users have used and rates them 1-5 stars, or rivets, attached with a website link for further reference. A quick reference page so you don't have to dig deep to find out the many brands that are out there and info on them.

I think this would get a lot of use from our fellow members.
Ron
Old 03-11-2006, 06:53 AM   #5
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Well, we already have a system like this in place that just needs to be setup and then used better. If some of you are willing to help get it going, we can talk about categories and then start to post the products.

As you can see the campground review section is just a sub-section of a larger system (a product review system). Here is a link:
http://www.airforums.com/reviews/index.php

If we evolve the categories and the add the products then we will have a place for members to rate, leave feedback, share the price they paid, etc.

I will make sure and upgrade that software to the latest version next week and then once we get it filled up and working better we can start to advertise those features more and hopefully give that some critical mass that will then become an excellent resource in the future.

So, lets get started. Please take a look at the system and let me know what you think? In regards to category structure, feel free to post your thoughts on the on the best way to organize things!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Replacing roller shades with mini blinds

It is time to replace the 1975 roller shades at the side and rear windows. Found silver mini blinds a special order from Home Depot.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Andy, What do you propose ? Making more catagories on the same page or having a different page with the product catagories ? Right now there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of activity on this page.

FYI - the last time I tried to post a CG reccomendation I had a heck of a time getting it to post and finally gave up.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo
It is time to replace the 1975 roller shades at the side and rear windows. Found silver mini blinds a special order from Home Depot.
Let me know how they work out and take some pictures. I need to do the same, still looking at options.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Sounds great

Andy,
I think that a page similar to the campground page would be a great way to get it started. There are only so many heading that will be needed; furnace, water heater etc.. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.
Thanks
Ron
Old 03-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Ideas

Here are some categorie ideas. See attachment.
Ron
Attached Files
File Type: doc categories.doc (20.0 KB, 137 views)
Old 04-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
Pay It Forward

How about a "Pay It Forward" section? A diesel site that I belong to has it and it seems to work well.
I will even start. I'm replacing the floor in my 78 Excella, I have a template for last 4' section cut out of Therma Board ( thick cardboard with coating on both sides used in construction), this was a perfect fit. I could roll it up and ship it if anyone is interested. Of course shipping costs are on recipient.
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote