Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
MS Windows and Airforums

I wasn’t sure what forum to place this in. However this seem to be the most appropriate.

I would like this to be a central place to discussion issues regarding accessing Airforums with the various versions of Windows.

I realize that there are other operating platforms that may well be better than Windows, but I would prefer not to have that discussion on this thread. They may make me sad.

To start:

Is anyone accessing Airforums from Windows 8? If so how is it working?

Is anyone using IE10? How does that work? What version of Windows are you using it on?

If you are using a browser other that Internet Explorer, what do you feel the advantages are?

Feel free to comment on the above or bring up any other issues you wish to discuss.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I am using IE9 on W VISTA in my office main computer. Backup unit is XP PRO.

These units used to work really well on Air Forums but, something has changed recently and, now viewing is a real pain unless you sign in. This is because the email popup at the bottom of the page will not close without signing in.

I have nothing newer as I like to work with retro stuff that I kinda understand. (behind the curve)

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I'm not running Windows, but w/ firefox & Solaris (Unix) I had to sign in yesterday to get the email popup to go away; for some reason my cached login changed or expired.

Some of your problems may come from ads; use an adblocker to see if that helps. Disabling flash can also help as well.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I use Windows at work and Mac at home. Both have pluses, both have minuses. Even at work, I don't used Internet Explorer to view the forums. I do use it to view the majority of the remainder of the web, just not the forums. The reason? Other things have add blockers that work.

I use Adblock Plus on Firefox on both Windows and Mac. It is now available for Chrome, so I am flirting with switching. Regardless of platform or browser, the add blocker is the number one thing that improves the forum experience.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
If this problem does nothing else but teach me how to handle popups then I guess I am progressing.

I got rid of all the advertising, but not that email popup yet!

Dave
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I use this for ad blocking on IE9:
Adblock for Internet Explorer version IE7, IE8, IE9 and IE10 – Simple Adblock

I am using IE9 for Airforums, but am starting to use Chrome for many other uses.

I don't have the pop up problem Dave is talking about, because I stay logged in, unless I have some need to log off.

Ken
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I am running Windows7. Last year, I was using IE9 or 10, and the browser started locking up and acting flaky after a Windows or IE update. I finally switched to Google Chrome, and have had no problems since.

I suspect that the update changed some IE settings or something. However, I don't have the patience to research that thoroughly, especially since Google Chrome seems to work fine.

Google Chrome has an import function that can copy all of your IE bookmarks into Chrome's Bookmark Manager. Took me a little while to stumble on this, but it was nice to have all of my links restored.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
...And here I came to this thread, expecting to see a photo thread of views from your Airstream windows...

I stay as far away from all forums with Internet Exploder as I can get.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I run everything from Windoze 98 up through Windoze 7, mostly XP Pro and Win7, I also have the odd Linux machine. Typical browser is the latest version of Chrome, occasionally FireFox. I avoid IE like the plague. AdBlocker Plus works on most things, signing in helps even more.

On the iOS devices I run Chrome or Safari but that is rare and mainly for testing purposes.

FWIW I have not seen any popups when signed in.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
So I'm not the only one with the problem with the email at the bottom issue. I'm running Windows 8 on a couple of machines and there are the only ones with that issue but I haven't dug into it very far. Glad signing in will solve it.
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Win7 and Firefox

FWIW, I am running Windows 7 and Firefox. Why? I got tired of getting the message "Internet Explorer has stopped working. We are searching for a reason". I know just enough about technology to be dangerous.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
FWIW, I am running Windows 7 and Firefox. Why? I got tired of getting the message "Internet Explorer has stopped working. We are searching for a reason". I know just enough about technology to be dangerous.
Now that you mention it, I have IE9 on the two computers I normally browse with (laptop and desktop). It makes no difference which one I am using, I seem to get a half a dozen of those IE has stopped and is reloading page messages a hour. I don't remember it ever happening on Airforums however. The only reason I have not gone to Chrome 100% is I am usually in too much of a hurry to go through the full learning process. I'm thinking I should dedicate a hour to sit done and get familiar with Chrome and get it set to my preferences.

I think the only advantage to Internet Explorer is I know my way around in it.

Ken
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
The only reason I have not gone to Chrome 100% is I am usually in too much of a hurry to go through the full learning process. I'm thinking I should dedicate a hour to sit done and get familiar with Chrome and get it set to my preferences.

Ken
I have used Chrome for over a year now (I think). I don't think in total I have used the help or read parts of it, and I am very comfortable with it.

It took a few minutes of looking around for me to realize that there just isn't pages and pages of "stuff behind the curtain" to adjust, as it is with IE.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Now that you mention it, I have IE9 on the two computers I normally browse with (laptop and desktop). It makes no difference which one I am using, I seem to get a half a dozen of those IE has stopped and is reloading page messages a hour. I don't remember it ever happening on Airforums however. The only reason I have not gone to Chrome 100% is I am usually in too much of a hurry to go through the full learning process. I'm thinking I should dedicate a hour to sit done and get familiar with Chrome and get it set to my preferences.

Ken
Chrome is pretty intuitive to use, I like the ability to tweak it to suit my personal tastes.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
I use Windows 8 and IE10. No problems with me, but YMMV. Couple of things that you may try:
  • Sign in when you log in (actually, just don't log out, and next time you open the airforums in your browser, you'll be logged in).
  • Be careful of your add-ons (tools/ manage add-ons). Look at the "enabled" add-ons. You can pick up some unhelpful (and sometimes unhealthy) add-ons with some downloads.
IE has gotten a bad rap over the past decade, and deservedly so. They have cleaned up their act, but have managed to create a very dissatisfied group of ex-users. FF and Chrome are both competent browsers too, but I support the local guys in Seattle.

I believe Windows, or versions of windows, will have little or nothing to do with performance of browser. Windows 7 and 8 are both solid OS.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This worked for me on IE 9.

How To Block Ads In IE9 – AdBlock Plus Alternative For IE - Learn With Nirab

Dave
Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

I discovered something that was a surprise to me. Some if not all changes I make to chrome on my laptop are made automatically to Chrome on my desktop. I am guessing that is because both computers are signed on to Gmail with the same Gmail address.

Ken