Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
More Meg for Pictures Please

I see I am approaching my allotment for photo posting space. It says I have posted about 37 megs so far. I have more "red" than "green" showing on my allotment bar.

Air Forums users encourage photos. I often include a photo describing my problem or my fix to a problem. Air Forums takes my 3meg photos and resizes them to about 200k.

Can the powers to be get me more allotment for photos I post?

Thanks,

David

Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Two ways around the limit that I know of, if I may be so bold as to step in even though I'm not a site mod:
1 - Don't post photos directly to AirForums. Post them to an online location somewhere in the cloud, and then just link to the photos.
2 - Look through old inactive threads (newest post more than 6 months ago, maybe?) that you posted pictures to, and delete those to free up space since they probably won't be missed.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A $20 donation to the forum makes one a supporting member and then photo space is not an issue.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Two problems with that IMHO;

1. If you ever get rid if your cloud storage or it goes away for some other reason all you have left is dead links in the posts.

2. Deleting old pics would them remove them from old threads. The beauty of this site is to look back through those threads and see pics of our old projects.
Since my MoHo is a 91, posts from the early days of repair forums are just as valuable. Allot of times that is all we have to go on as these classics (trailers and mohos) get passed to the next generation.

I read almost every thread about classic mohos before I took the leap to buy and redo mine. I also count on them to see how to do stuff that has become a lost art.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Good suggestions! Another one is simply to convert your pictures to much lower resolution before posting them. (It will also significantly reduce upload time.) You can use any number of programs to accomplish this. I use Photoshop Elements, but there are also free ones out that that can greatly deflate the size of your files.

Lynn
Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Lynn, aren't posted photos subject to the same editing time limitations as the posts themselves? I seem to remember people attempting to delete old or duplicate photos, and couldn't for that reason.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Yup, you're right if you're talking about editing your posts per se.

What one of the others was talking about was going through your user CP to delete attachments. For obvious reasons, that's somewhat discouraged.

I will reiterate one suggestion from above: If you store your photos offsite at a photo storage place like Flickr or the like, all of this is irrelevant because the pictures are, in fact, then not stored on the Airforums server; only the photo link is stored, and a link takes up precious little space on the server.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Lynn, aren't posted photos subject to the same editing time limitations as the posts themselves? I seem to remember people attempting to delete old or duplicate photos, and couldn't for that reason.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Images can be posted to the photo gallery as well... there is no space limitation there and you can manage your images. Once you've loaded in image into the galley, you can just link to it in your post (same as a service like photobucket)

Link to Photo Gallery: http://www.airforums.com/photos/

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I've decided to become a Supporting Member. I enjoy my time spent on all things Airstream here at Air Forums. It's a whole lot better than the Super Duty website I visit now and then. The Photo Gallery works, but having to link to the photo associated with my post is a bit clumsy in my view. The privileges of Supporting Member will solve my problem.

Air Forums is a great website!

Thanks,

David