Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lucedale , Mississippi
Mississippi River road then west

Hi, we are wanting to go up the Mississippi River road to Minnesota in our interstate. Leaving Sept. 1st. We think it will take us approx. 14 days to get to Minnesota then heading west. Any suggestions as a route going west would be greatly appreciated and weather looks to be good in mid sept. To do this but we would like some opinions from people with more experience.
MamaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
West to where? Direction will influence route.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Illinois
14 days to go to Minnesota from Mississippi. Unless I'm missing something that's prolly only approximately 80 miles a day. That's my commute to work!
nedmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
The Mississippi River Road route is over 3,000 miles (according to the web site for the route) so 14 days means the average daily distance is over 200 miles. I suspect the web site is not taking the shortest distance between two points. That gives some time for sightseeing on some days, mixed with some longer driving days from time to time.

The OP doesn't say where they are headed when they turn west. North Dakota? South Dakota? Further west like Wyoming and Montana? West coast?

The Badlands in SD are pretty spectacular and there are plenty of interesting places to stop along the way.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just did US 2 from west to east. Glacier to MN near the Mississippi headwaters. I would do that route again.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Lucedale , Mississippi
River road then west

Thank you everyone for your input. We don’t really have any specific destination when turning west after seeing the start of Mississippi River in Minnesota. We were considering going toward Oregon then south thru California then heading back to Mississippi thru New Mexico Ect.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Lucedale , Mississippi
We don’t have a specific plan after heading west. We are looking at suggestions and options. We would like to go thru California Napa valley area down and eventually turn back toward Mississippi
Old 08-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Lucedale , Mississippi
You are right,lol. We probably will make it in less time. We just don’t want to get caught up in snow.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Lucedale , Mississippi
West coast
Old 08-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Cant go wrong with National Parks. Great ones im the direction you’re headed. We did a long trip from Seattle to MO and hit some of the sites below. It was an awesome trip.

In OR we did the coast. Beautiful. Avoid big cities!!

In WA Mt Rainer and Olympic NP (huge). You can take your AS on the ferries.

In CA Redwood NP, Avenue of the Giants, Yosemite, King’s Canyon to name a few. Napa is extremely crowded and traffic nightmare and we couldn't wait to leave.

SD is awesome with a lot in a relatively small area: Rushmore, Black Hills, Badlands, Devils Tower (WY).

Southern UT is fabulous: Bryce, Zion, Arches, etc. we didn't get enough and are going back in Sep/Oct.

Have fun and be SAFE!
Old 08-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have taken 2 west from Minnesota, and it is a very pretty, if somewhat unexciting, drive.

Lots of prairie initially, as I recall, but you should be able to get all the way to the west coast that time of year, without running into snow.

Be aware that the Great River Road doesn’t follow the river all the way up.

You will have some periods “inland”, for lack of a better term, tho as you get farther north and the levees are gone, it is a pretty spectacular view.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "easy" routes west run through North Dakota (I-94) and South Dakota (I-90). The northern route takes you past Theodore Roosevelt NP and to the north side of Yellowstone NP. The southern route takes you over to Mt. Rushmore / Devils Tower / Wall Drug . Needless to say, there are an infinity of other routes. If your passports are in order, the Trans Canada gets you to some nice parks as well.

Assuming you "make the turn" in mid September and stick to a casual driving schedule (we don't move as fast as you do .... so that's in no way a knock) you will be into the mountains in October. That's getting into (early) snow season. Not a big issue if you can slow down and wait out a storm. Possibly an issue in terms of heating the RV.

Because you are sort of "past the season". The number of parks that are open will start to slim down a bit. Things like water are going to be shut down due to freeze risk. Planning around that is very much doable, it just takes a bit more thought.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We just came back from Wisconsin and Iowa and Illinois. Once you get up this far check out the Core of Engineers CG. The Iowa side is awesome. Unfortunately with the flooding , many of the COE were closed. Check ahead. Stop at Effigy National Monument on the Iowas side. Wonderful. This time of year getting in the Wisconsin SP may be achievable mid week. Try Wyalusing SP. There is a free dump station on the Iowas Minnesota border. Town of New Albin. Very nice. The small towns on the river on the river are fun. If you head to SD. In the Sioux Falls area, we just stayed at Big Sioux Recreation area. Nice campground with electric. Water available coming in. Also check out Sioux Falls falls. Due to heavy rains, Falls are really spectacular. DellRapids, SD has a nice city cg right on the Sioux River. Need to be there midweek. The Dells at Dell Rapids are worth seeing. You would never guess the extent of them. KOA in SFalls has left us unimpressed. Very crowded. Check to see if a rodeo or fair is on when there. We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch By Hill City SD. $$$$ but lots of amenities. Lots of CG in that area some marginal and crowded. Take the drive through Custer State Park. Then off to Devils Tower. Sturgis rally is coming up soon
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Scottsbluff, NE is a beautiful area and Fort Robinson State Park is Nebraska's premier park. Good camping and hiking there, too. Here's a link, safe travels.

https://nebraskastateparks.reserveam...&parkId=230077
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"We were considering going toward Oregon then south thru California then heading back to Mississippi thru New Mexico Ect."

And miss the great state of (western) Washington? Puget Sound? Mt. Rainier? The Olympic Peninsula?

Having grown up in Portland & spent & continuing to spend a massive amount of time on the Oregon coast, I have no quarrel with Oregon, particularly western Oregon, but Oregon ain't Washington, and the Washington coast, particularly the northern Washington coast is different, more rocky, more rugged. Its NW tip, around Neah Bay & Tatoosh Island is something to behold.

And BTW, DO NOT MISS Glacier Park (simply spectacular), particularly in September, when the crowds are gone, the camp grounds are open, and the low temps & snow have not yet arrived.

Good luck with your adventure, however & wherever you proceed.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Leave now and you can experience the Minnesota State Fair. On our way back from The Great Minnesota Get Together, we ran south down the river for 4 days. Minnesota has Paisley Park. My wife is a huge Prince fan. Me, I like him, but however you feel about the artist, his home is awesome. Here are a few other places in no particular order.

Go to the Arch in St. Louis, and then eat at Tony’s. Although the city does have some urban decay, it is still fascinating with its architecture, industrial nature, and also its shopping and museums. There is a campground in the city which is really just a parking lot. I would stay there again due to it’s proximity. Park the Interstate and Uber over to attractions. You could easily spend several days here.

Davenport is on the river. You can drive right up to the water, park the Interstate, and walk around. The Davenport Skybridge is there. You can go into the bridge and see the view.

Dubuque has the Fenelon Place Elevator. Mary Beck is the operator and will tell you about the history. There is a campground, Coconut Cove nearby across the bridge, but be warned about the railroad tracks and train noise here. Some sites are inches from the tracks. Look closely at Google images and you will see what appears to be 2 lakes separated by a line of parked RV’s. Believe it or not, that’s the train track.

Burlington, IA has Snake Alley, a very crooked street.

Hannibal is small and distressed. The Mark Twain Museum is worthwhile. The Mark Twain campground is over the ridge and relatively close.

Going west, drive through Idaho and to Craters of the Moon. Butte was interesting with its architecture and history. Skip Bozeman, skip Deadwood, and skip the Wall Drug Store. On the Coast in California, take some time and walk around Carmel. Santa Barbara is great with a walkable town and nearby campground. Also, go to Hearst Castle. If you look at my Instagram page, you'll see photos of some of these places. @coasttocoastphotoatl
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:06 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A lot of what you put on the "see" vs "skip" list depends on who is along on the trip. If you have kids with you, the list does change a bit. ( = Wall Drug was a lot more interesting when I was 8 years old ....).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
If this is your first time through the Area, just pick a route West! There are wonderful things to see along any of the roads.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Ok, since this thread seems to have no boundaries, I'll toss in hwy 1 on the sonoma coast between Jenner and Ft Bragg, then over to Hwy 101 thru ave of the giants.

Granted i'm partial as i lived west of hwy 1 at sea ranch for almost 20 years, but simply put, it is not only beautiful,but hiking accessible.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...3829caa8f448d3

Gerstle cove/salt point SP is a great hike...just one example.

I'll look for a previous thread.
B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yep, you can't do CA without a trip on Hwy 1, the Pacific Coast Highway. Try it, you will like it.

We did the trip, kind of, in reverse. The route started in Missoula after a wedding, and went East on 90 and then 94 to Minnesota. It's not an eventful trip. You have to make it your adventure by picking places along the way that interest you.

Enjoy the trip. You can make it very memorable. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote