Old 05-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Members

Just a thought for the moderators/webmasters. Would it be possible to put a members map up that would give information about the coach for members? What I'm thinking about is a map of the US and maybe Canada that would have hot-linked pins for members. The hot-link would show the screen name and coach only. The name would also be a hot-link so that a PM could be sent.

Another possibility would be to let someone search for members with a particular type of coach. For example, I'm interested in late 90's 34' Airstreams, so I'd like to contact someone who actually owns one. So far, though, finding such a person is difficult.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I understand it's not a map based search but you can do what you want using the search function in the community section. Click on the community tab above, then choose members list. You can then do an advanced member search by any of the fields in that section including coach type and year, and location. It will return a list of user names from which you can then make contact. Hope this helps!
Old 05-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Not a moderator or webmaster so I can't speak for them, but this idea runs afoul of so many potential problems.

1 - Not everyone wants to be mapped. I listed my location on my profile, but some people don't. Some make up a place like "Middle of Nowhere."

2 - Some people, namely full-timers, don't always have a location that can be mapped.

3 - Forum members don't always keep up with their profile. Some show "Currently looking…" long after they've bought an Airstream, for example.

4 - Some people don't want to be PMed by strangers, even fellow Forums members. Some members hardly even post, instead choosing to simply lurk.

5 - Maintaining such a map is a full-time job, since new people join the Forums every day. Creating a mapping webpage is even more so. The Mods are all unpaid volunteers who have lives away from the computer too, and who has the time?

6 - And what about people who sell off their Airstreams and quit participating in the Forums, but never make a final post to say good-bye? You could end up with dozens of people mapped who don't participating in the Forums or even in Airstreaming anymore. Including deceased people whose families don't want to be contacted about their departed's Airstream.

My personal thought is that if you need to get in touch with someone who has a particular type of Airstream, in a particular part of North America, it's easy enough to start a new thread, "Need help with a _____ model in _____ state" and let the Forum members contact you instead. Without having to change the AirForums webpage at all.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not a moderator or webmaster so I can't speak for them, but this idea runs afoul of so many potential problems.

1 - Not everyone wants to be mapped. I listed my location on my profile, but some people don't. Some make up a place like "Middle of Nowhere."

2 - Some people, namely full-timers, don't always have a location that can be mapped.

3 - Forum members don't always keep up with their profile. Some show "Currently looking…" long after they've bought an Airstream, for example.

4 - Some people don't want to be PMed by strangers, even fellow Forums members. Some members hardly even post, instead choosing to simply lurk.

5 - Maintaining such a map is a full-time job, since new people join the Forums every day. Creating a mapping webpage is even more so. The Mods are all unpaid volunteers who have lives away from the computer too, and who has the time?

6 - And what about people who sell off their Airstreams and quit participating in the Forums, but never make a final post to say good-bye? You could end up with dozens of people mapped who don't participating in the Forums or even in Airstreaming anymore. Including deceased people whose families don't want to be contacted about their departed's Airstream.

My personal thought is that if you need to get in touch with someone who has a particular type of Airstream, in a particular part of North America, it's easy enough to start a new thread, "Need help with a _____ model in _____ state" and let the Forum members contact you instead. Without having to change the AirForums webpage at all.

Protagonist hit the nail on the proverbial head.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
TinShack, your tip got me the information I need for now. Thanks.

Protagonist, I understand your objections. What I described is what is happening on several other brand-specific forums, all of which are run by volunteers. Being listed on the map is an opt-in thing, so those who don't want to be listed aren't. One forum even takes care of those who become inactive by requiring members to verify each month (or sooner) that they still want to be listed on the map and give an up-dated location.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
There is a search function that will help you.

You can search the memberlist using the advanced search function:
Here is the member list: Airstream Forums - Members List
here is the advacned search: Airstream Forums - Members List - Search

You can search by trailer model and location.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote