Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm going to miss "karma." I thought it was a very nice way to acknowledge another's good deed or word. Too bad it's gone.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #102

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think over the years we had so much confusion about 'karma', 'thanks' will be much more self-explanatory. I think it's a great change! Best of all it requires no study of eastern philosophies to understand! It is simply 'thanks'

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Well I can share what was taught to me on another thread when I asked what was Karma. I asked was Karma the stuff we passed around at rock concets and (I can't remember his real "Name", so I'll call him LedZephlin) told me Karma was not the actual stuff that was being passed around, but Karma was being passed around none the less. I believe this is what the American Indians were attempting to accomplish during their Smoke Ceramonies, the problem is, the white men wanted all the weed for themselves, thus greed took over and we see what the result of that was.

On a more serious note, I believe Holy Scripture better explains the eastern concept of Karma wherein it says "A man shall reap what he sows." Another law of the harvest also is, you reap more than what you sowed, that's why it pays to live right, things have a way of coming back!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #104
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Now that I discovered this thread and read though it (backwards), I learned there is Kharma and karma. Kharma lives on and karma (the Forum invention) is gone.

I miss karma because it felt special. Thanks is good too, but not quite as special. I agree "thanks" is easier to understand, but karma was mysterious. The old formula had good intentions and was incomprehensible to me. I liked that mystery of it. I also liked the short lived white broccoli stalk that represented karma. The thanks button is so ordinary looking and not special at all.

So, it seems to me giving karma was actually receiving it while sharing something of self.
Giving thanks is not necessarily receiving anything, though it's a nice thing to do.

Of course, "giving" karma or thanks can be done in good or in bad ways. Thanks are sometimes given sarcastically or mockingly. Thanks may be karmic depending on the context, but a simple button for thanks has no context in itself—we supply it in the message we write that shows up on the CP page.

62Overlander, you didn't kill karma and I didn't think you meant to. Perhaps you were misunderstood. Some white broccoli stalk to you…

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #105
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My kharma is strong. The karma I have received is even stronger. Thanks to all that have given and to those that have received please know that it has come from the bottom of my heart. Even the karma I gave you 2 Air, it came from the bottom of my heart, sorry you did not appreciate it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
What is this "Thanks" crap?

Bring back the Karma... too many changes for me...with all these changes, you're losing a faithful forum member with this option.. just keep it Karma.. that's what it's about?

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Thanks - is just thank you for your advice or help - it's a very nice way to show your appreciation.

KARMA - is a gift of good will and sharing of joy with someone - there maybe could be room for both.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
I just learned about karma and now it is gone

I was so happy to learn about karma and I checked mine and found I had been given karma that I didn't know about...I learned how to give karma ......now it has been taken away. I am sorry about that. Perhaps we can call it "attaboys" or "attagirls" or perhaps "attaman" or "attawoman"......oh, well this has been interesting. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Karma was special - I will also miss it!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
more allumination yoga

According to the Vedas, another classic of world literature, there is an ancient story (1,000-1500 BC) of two birds who were mutual friends. One bird, Jiva, perched in a tree and began eating the fruit there, while the other bird, Atman, merely stood by watching. According to popular interpretation Jiva, the bird in the tree, becomes momentarily distracted by the sweet fruits and forgets her friend, Atman, the bird she has arrived there with. Atman, the watching bird, on the other hand remains attentive and remembers the true self that lives in the heart of all beings in the world.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:51 AM   #111
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Todd, I sent you karma, but want to thank you out loud for that important lesson. Today I will try to be more like Atman and less like Jiva. It will be hard due to the fact that we are here at the East Coast Vintage rally. The sweet fruit is all around me and it is easy to loose focus.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:17 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Todd, I sent you karma, but want to thank you out loud for that important lesson. Today I will try to be more like Atman and less like Jiva. It will be hard due to the fact that we are here at the East Coast Vintage rally. The sweet fruit is all around me and it is easy to loose focus.
Does pie count as sweet fruit? Because if so, there is no way that Frank will be able to avoid eating it.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #113
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Bring back Karma! It was a nice way to tell somewhat you appreciate what they had to contribute. "Thanks" just doesn't quite mean the same thing.

Also, karma gave our forum something special. Something to talk about. Like a mystery.

If we are going to get rid of things that not everyone understands, maybe we should get rid of all threads about balancing running gear.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #114
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Yea, Bring back Karma, who cares what the definition is. We could call it a potato. "I really liked that post, here's a potato"

Just sayin' words are arbitrary. I like the Karma word.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Well it looks as if I lost about 3,000 Karma points in exchange for getting 40 Thanks points. Is this like the Euro vs. the dollar thing or what?????

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
lost in translation

Director [in Japanese, to the interpreter]: The translation is very important, O.K.? The translation.

Interpreter [in Japanese, to the director]: Yes, of course. I understand.

Director [in Japanese, to Bob] Mr. Bob. You are sitting quietly in your study. And then there is a bottle of Suntory whiskey on top of the table. You understand, right? With wholehearted feeling, slowly, look at the camera, tenderly, and as if you are meeting old friends, say the words. As if you are Bogie in Casablanca, saying, Cheers to you guys, Suntory time!

Interpreter [In English, to Bob]: He wants you to turn, look in camera. O.K.?

Bob: That's all he said?

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
I miss karma!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #118
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
I miss karma!
Seems to me a lot of people miss karma.The feature I liked about the thanks part of it was that at the bottom of each post was a place that you could click on that said thanks.This was easily seen and was not hidden behind an icon like karma was.
Maybe the thanks button could be replaced with a karma button and the forums would return to that happy place that some really seem to miss.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
we have karma at work.where it is called an atta boy.x amount of atta boys counter-act an oops.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
One of the problems with "thanks" is - its does not reflect Karma's good will. There are times, with this group and others, where members have lost friends, pets, family members or shared personal disasters. It would be appropriate to send good wishes - Karma - to let people know you care about them but I would never send thanks!

Probably my last thought on the issue - I just may be stirring the pot needlessly.

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote