Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Internet Explorer - Security Message

Anyone help me out here?

Over the last couple of weeks I have been getting this "Security Risk" message on every page of Airforums. Whether I click "Yes" or "No" does not seem to make any difference in how the page displays - but I must click on one of them to continue.

This does not happen with any other webpage other than Airforums.

I'm running Windows 8.1 with Explorer 11. My security program is McAfee provided through my internet service provider.

Thanks,

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture - Security Risk Message.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	206152  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I was able to duplicate this. Go to Tools->Internet Options, select the Security tab. Then under Internet, click Custom Level, and scroll down to Miscellaneous section. There is a section for 'Access data sources across domains'. If it is set on Prompt, you'll get the message. So on your system you may want to set it to Disable and see if that works. As I understand this is a compatibility issue with IE 11 stumbling over something that is needed for backwards compatibility with older versions of IE.

Note: I'm not a programmer on this site, just trying to help.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Go to Tools->Internet Options, select the Security tab. Then under Internet, click Custom Level, and scroll down to Miscellaneous section. There is a section for 'Access data sources across domains'. If it is set on Prompt, you'll get the message. So on your system you may want to set it to Disable and see if that works.
Hi Stephanie,

I found the section - but it was already set to "Disable" - so no go - but I sure appreciate the effort.

Thanks,

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 02-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Humm. While not using 8.1, I am using IE11 and have not seen this error (here or anyplace else). Having seen both in action, however, I get the feeling that the version of IE for Win7 (my machine) is not entirely identical to the one for Win8.1.

Just for kicks, are you using the version of IE11 from the Win8.1 desktop or the one from the Win8.1 Start page? I have observed that those two have different user interfaces, though don't know of any other differences between them.

Lynn
Old 02-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post

..... are you using the version of IE11 from the Win8.1 desktop or the one from the Win8.1 Start page? I have observed that those two have different user interfaces, though don't know of any other differences between them.

Lynn
I always work from the desktop - but just now tried signing up from the start page to see if there is a difference - I still get the same security risk message - just presented a bit differently ....

I had been hoping that others might have had the same problem (and fixed it) ..... makes me think that somehow the problem is self-inflicted (and I really don't like self-inflicted wounds .....).

Thanks,

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 02-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
I had been hoping that others might have had the same problem (and fixed it) ..... makes me think that somehow the problem is self-inflicted (and I really don't like self-inflicted wounds .....).
I think the problem has more to do with IE11 and your version of windows. With so many browsers available, not a lot of people are using IE anymore, and not all of those have upgraded to IE11, so you might just be ahead of the curve, or a victim of your specific security setup

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Ahead of the curve? - that's funny - but thanks for the efforts - it'll get figured out somewhere along the line .....

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 02-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You/We would not be having this problem if Bill had just stayed with XP!

Every change he has made since has been a disaster.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Ahead of the curve? - that's funny - but thanks for the efforts - it'll get figured out somewhere along the line .....

Jay
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Try switching to Firefox. IE Explorer has been very buggy for me. No issues with Firefox however.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
You/We would not be having this problem if Bill had just stayed with XP!

Every change he has made since has been a disaster.

Dave
Dave,

You sound like someone who hasn't used windows 7. In my opinion it is a big improvement over XP.

Jay,

To address the original problem, keep poking around in the secutity options. If it is the one suggested to you, I believe you want to select enable, not disable.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Windows 7 and IE10 is pretty stable and I don't get THAT message, just the mixed content message form several other websites. I don't get any of these "warnings" on this forum.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

To address the original problem, keep poking around in the secutity options. If it is the one suggested to you, I believe you want to select enable, not disable.
Success!!

Thanks to you and Stephanie for getting me pointed in the right direction. I didn't find the specific problem - but after resetting the defaults the issue seems to have corrected itself.

Thanks,

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)