Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

North Richland Hills , Texas
I bit confused...

This is an amazing forum.

I wonder where I should visit to talk about general A/S TT information. It seems like I would need a specific model and date in mind?

For example, where would it be appropriate to discuss the differences between the Safari, International, and Classic lines of trailers?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Danner, we try to keep it organized, but we always want folks to feel free to post. If it's in the wrong place we'll move it, and it will be completely painless When in doubt, the Our Community forum is always a good place to start. It's perfect for just talking about whatever.

Welcome to the forums!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Danner,

Welcome to the forums and Airstreaming! Guess from your questions you are not a current owner but are looking at purchasing a newer Airstream? Check out the Airstream classifieds on this site (that is where we sold our 2005 International).

Here are some basic differences on the lines of the trailers (all aesthetic):
International- shiny aluminum interior and very modern lines with composite or laminate wood cabinets
Classic- Vinyl (or other material) on the walls and real wood cabinets
Safari- somewhere in between the two- some have the aluminum interior and real wood cabinets

The classic tend to be the most expensive and the Safaris are intended to be more economical - the new Safari Sports are stripped down and much cheaper (no awnings or other basics you might expect). We loved our International (but we are young and like modern things). Before purchasing- figure out how you intend to use the trailer. They weigh a lot (the new ones anyway) and you might be limited by your tow vehicle. How many people/ pets will be traveling and what will be your average trip length? Take some time to go to a dealership and lay down on the beds and fold out the couch, ect... play with them- they are a big investment - you want to be sure you get the one you want. Don't hesitate to ask questions- people will give you answers on specific trailers and lengths.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danner View Post
...where would it be appropriate to discuss the differences between the Safari, International, and Classic lines of trailers?
hi danner...

'discussing' this issue can happen in any thread and does....

FINDING the info is another issue.

often just scanning the thread titles UNDER a given model will help...

either by providing the info or helping u to formulate a good question or search.

almost anything can be found using the advanced search tools IF u become familiar with it, and practice.

a/s hasn't made it easy to distinguish model differences

and especially now that the recent safari line has been renamed, the flying clouds....

some1 suggested 'flying cows' i like that much better!

over the years a/s has used names and models lines tags in a spectrum of ways....

IF your objective is understanding NEW model difference, ya gotta go LOOK and FEEL...

although the product brochures help too. sure they are outdated almost immediately,

but contact a dealer or the factory... they will send ya an ENTIRE packet of model flyers...

here are a few others who have asked this question, and the answers folks have offered...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...nal-34285.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ars-26292.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eds-32474.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...del-29297.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...els-20532.html

sometime FINDING is a challenge because of misleading thread titles where the info is buried.

here is good one on models, but with a misleading title...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...bad-21921.html

and while the current thread is a reference for model differences, folks will only find THIS post by reading about confusion

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

North Richland Hills , Texas
Thanks again 2airishuman, very helpful, as always (well, twice, et least :-)

Anyway, I am shopping, not currently an A/S owner.

Here are my essential requirements.

1. Airstream aerodynamics, handling, and safety.

2. Sleep three adults in separate beds (bed, couch, dinette all OK). However, I will us it solo too.

3. Have a 78" bed (let's call it a place to sleep) for me (or at least a 75" with on open foot end).

4. Couch for comfortable relaxation.

5. A little counter space for cooking (my Rockwood has a sink and stove, no counter space).

6. A toilet I can do #2 on.

7. A shower I can use (6'-4"), just barely useable would be OK.

8. Enough AC capacity to keep it cool on hot Texas afternoons (hopefully that can run off my Yammy EF2400is genny).

9. Be usable as a mobile office, based on a computer-Internet and telephone type businees, but where I could spend a 5-7 hour day working in the TT.

Initiall I plan to ull it with a 2007 Tahoe, (7300# GVWR for trailer). Obivously the trailer trumps the TV, so I may upgrade to a heavier TV later.

Style - plain and simple is fine by me.

So, I an now leaning toward an International 25FB with twin beds.

And advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danner View Post

Here are my essential requirements...
that's a good list for a start...

-how MUCH travel?

-now many nights IN the rv?

-full hookups mostly or boondocking mostly?

-what seasons and where?

there are other issues but since u are already a camper, many may have been solved.

IF you don't limit the search to NEW UNITS, there are other good past floorplan features...

some past models have had a dedicated desk areas...

the rear queen bed models are a short queen but can work at the 75 inch rule...

the front sofa models have a VERY LONG bed when the sofa is used, and it's more comfortable than imagined.

water capacity INCREASES in the longer units...

without a real desk area a good dinette space is needed for a work area.

not many 25s have a big bed, dinette, adequate kitchen counter space, long shower and sofa to sleep 3 adults.

and 25 can get very tight in the winter, but i travel in a 34 which isn't ONE FOOT too big...

more batteries (and solar) may mean more camping options...

the 'connectivity issue' really isn't a 'stream specific or model specific feature.

styling is very personal, some consider the classic line as a timeless look and others consider it grandma-ish.

the ccds and former safaris (now clouds) change so much it's hard to grasp all the looks...

still i'd search for recent year (NOT NEW) classic or plain safari with the 'oblong' shower that has more leg room.

25 or 28 rear bed/front door queen or twins...

it's not uncommoin to buy a stream, then a year later find the "PERFECT" unit....

so IF you start with a 2-4 year old one now the trade will not be nearly so expensive...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
It's about sanitation

Hi Danner, and welcome!

I couldn't help notice your #6 requirement!

I quote, "6. A toilet I can do #2 on."

Unlike the Rockwood TT you owned, Airstream toilets have a cover which conveniently lifts-up so you can do #2 in the toilet and not on the toilet.

A welcome upgrade to say the least
.ps, we can't all be helpful now, can we

Michael

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote