Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Morris , Illinois
How to report possible scams in classifieds?

A few days ago there was a 19' Bambi which I suspected was a scam. I contacted the seller, and his email to me pretty much confirmed my suspicions. Super cheap, shipping was involved, etc. Now there is another one, different year but the seller name is a variation on the earlier one. And once again no price or location given.

Should we report these? Lacking any evidence other than the smell test, there is always the chance that a listing is not a scam. But I'd hate for someone to get burned here.

BTW the first one disappeared after a few days. So is there someone already on the watch for these?

-Don
DonAndTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Let me guess, he is working off shore or is in the Military serving over seas and will have a friend take care of the shipping and funds transfer. That seems to be the latest in scams. If it seems fishy to you it probably is. Personally I like playing with these people to just see how far they are willing to go with the story.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I would just ignore them - I assume you are talking about craigs list - they do get detected and deleted. The spammers use automated tools to post the same offer over and over again in multiple cities, usually with slight variations - you've got better things to do with your time and you'll be fighting a losing battle anyway.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Please PM a moderator if any ad seems shaky. Thanks!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Morris , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
I would just ignore them - I assume you are talking about craigs list - they do get detected and deleted. The spammers use automated tools to post the same offer over and over again in multiple cities, usually with slight variations - you've got better things to do with your time and you'll be fighting a losing battle anyway.
No, I was talking about the classifieds section here on airforums. I received a PM saying the ad in question is already deleted now.

Yes, it was the thing where he is in the military and being deployed in two days, it can be shipped, etc.
DonAndTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Orcas , Washington
How do I report a scam?

New member here and looking for an Airstream. Stumbled on theis ad: 2011 Airstream International Serenity 30' Lounge - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale Thought it too good to be true and of course it is. Here is the Google Checkout Scam link http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/websearch/google$20checkout$20auto$20scam/websearch/RdP6jaj2juA/aqHkqFB5P4cJ. If you e-mail him for more info you here almost the exact same story of "...must sell...deployment in special ops..." it looks like a form letter sent to all who reply then he writes back.... more tale of woe...and asks for Google checkout info and shipping info which of course is free...yeah right! Be warned out there. They are posting on this site which I thought was secure. Also another tell tale sign is that of course the AS is in another state and he/she can't present it. Any thoughts? How do we warn others on the forum? His ad had 450 hits last I checked.
Thanks
as4sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This was flagged and pulled earlier. If you find, or suspect fraudulent activity please contact one of the Moderators with your concern.

Thanks,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Stuart , Florida
Is all the scamming the real reason one should pay the $100. for a special listing?
The Russells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russells View Post
Is all the scamming the real reason one should pay the $100. for a special listing?
The featured ads are shown at the top of the classifieds listing - in other words they get more attention from shoppers .

Seller scams are an ongoing problem across the internet and we work hard to weed them out. We also rely on sharp eyed AIR members to report problem ads and we always investigate.

Sadly Airstreams have attracted the attention of scammers looking to make a quick buck from unsuspecting buyers looking for a great deal. That said, there are many awesome rigs available for sale and some basic caution can avoid almost all problems.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote