Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

concord , California
How much to sell for?

I am planning on selling my 1969 airstream ambassador soon. It is completely gutted and has been used as an extra bedroom for me at the side of my house. Since airstream are extremely likable how much could I ask for as a selling price?
Lyvettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
What do you mean by completely gutted?

Pics would also help understand the value proposition a little better.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

concord , California
Hi-

By completely gutted, I mean that the bathroom, kitchen, etc. has been taken out. It is one long space that I use as a bedroom.

As far as pics, I don't have any at the moment.
Lyvettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
It will be hard to estimate value without pics, condition of skins, floor, etc.

Some might want something gutted like that to start their own project, others would view that as a disadvantage for their purposes. Ultimately the value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. To maximize your proceeds you'll need to find a narrow niche of buyers looking for a setup as you have yours now. Otherwise, I don't know that I'd expect much more that $1000. Take that with a huge grain of salt - I'm no expert on these things - more of an armchair social economist 😀

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Unless you were smart to keep the original interior parts for the next buyer for patterns or replacement it is going to be a tough sell. You are competing with hundreds of other "already gutted, all the hard work done, ready for your dream project" trailers out there.

If your lucky you'll come across someone that knows nothing about trailers. If not, expect scrap value.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Possible food cart?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It has been said many times that when you buy a vintage trailer, you are really just buying the shell, as most of the rest of it ends up thrown away in a full rebuild anyway. With that in mind, here are some questions that might help you assign better than scrap value to your trailer:

What condition is your shell in? A shell that is free of any dents and deep scratches is worth more than one that has panels that will need to be replaced.

Are all the windows and hatches in place? Are all the windows made of glass (no kludged in lexan replacements)?

And finally, the big one: is the floor free of rot around the entire perimeter of the trailer? If you stand and bounce on the rear bumper, can you see the bumper and frame rails moving independently of the shell? IF everything is solid, at least the buyer won't have to start their rebuild with a floor replacement and shell-off.

If your answers to the questions above were all "best case," I would guess that the value could be up around $3k. The more problems, the lower the price. I've seen really messed up trailers this size put up for sale at $500, and it still takes just the right buyer to sell.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
A good shell with intact windows could be worth $2-3,000 or perhaps slightly more, but not much as to become a usable camper again, a lot of work and $ will be involved in restoring it. Any dents, dings and other damage to the shell would reduce the value to possible under $1,000. If it's in really bad shape, then it could have only the value of the scrap aluminum and steel.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
Might be interested

Please do post some photos. I might know someone who is interested...
Santa Margarita, CA
works at SkyRiver Airstream Paso Robles
www.facebook.com/CentralCoastAirstream/
www.facebook.com/AirstreamSB/
ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:58 AM   #10

1977 25' Caravanner
SOMERVILLE , Massachusetts
Hi....where is the trailer located?
cosmicfireba is offline   Reply With Quote