Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Alexandria , Virginia
How Do I Find an Inspector/Help! Quick!

I am looking at an AS that is over 13 hours away from me. I really would love some help looking at it as I am getting "short" with a move with kids and can't give up a whole day just looking! Is their anyone out there who could look at an AS near the MS/TN state line? Any quidance or offers of solutions or help would be SOOOO appreciated!
CrissyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Exactly where is the trailer?

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Alexandria , Virginia
Corinth, MS

It's located in Corinth, MS, in Alcorn County. It doesn't look too far away from Memphis. It's the 25' listed on eBay (but please don't anyone snipe me!) Be kind to the rookie!!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Alexandria , Virginia
Good Lesson

Well, I learned a lesson here...don't send more people to look at the AS you want. Hopefully next time will be better. Good luck to those still bidding.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissyP
Well, I learned a lesson here...don't send more people to look at the AS you want. Hopefully next time will be better. Good luck to those still bidding.
Hopefully there was nobody here that saw your post that was so unethical as to go out bid you. They would be lower than swamp scum...
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Alexandria , Virginia
I hope not...but to the luckiest (and deepest pockets) go the AS. We were over our head with about 5 minutes to go and then it just went thru the roof. Whoever got it, got a nice little guy. It just means that ours is still out there! Wish us luck!!! I will try not to be discouraged!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Try the classifieds here. It's cheaper and can be a better trailer in the long run. I got my Sovereign here and it's a very well cared for unit. Lot less chance of getting caught up in the bidding and paying too much.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Sounds like the price you were hoping to pay was much less than the going rate. You'll find that for the most part, the eBay trailers will sell for more than you expect. If you watch the auctions for a period of time you will get a good idea of what a trailer like the one you are looking for will ultimately sell for. You can also look back at the completed listings to educate yourself. IMO, it's best to look at other sources such as Craigslist etc...

Good Luck!

BTW, is THIS the trailer you were bidding on? FWIW, I think it went for a price that is certainly in the ballpark for a trailer of that vintage and condition.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Alexandria , Virginia
Thanks for the words of advice. I actually have been haunting the classifieds here since January, but just hadn't found the right thing (after first not being ready to buy for various reasons). As for the one on eBay...we were willing (and able) to pay for that great trailer, but in the end, it was just too much added with the travel there or the possiblity of towing. My best to whoever got it, but I do think sometimes the auctions become about "winning" and not about the item. It was a sweet one, tho! It just wasn't meant to be for us, so we move forward! (Just a side note...I really thought we would win b/c yesterday was my birthday! I was hoping for some luck or serendipity!)
Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I was looking for close to 2 years before I found what I wanted. Look beyond the Airstream community. Airstream dealers and user hold to a higher price than those not familiar with Airstreams.

Look to RV dealers that have taken an Airstream in on trade. I found mine at an X Airstream dealer that was now into SOBs. He dropped his asking price by almost 30% and tossed in a new adjustable hitch and nice French folding chairs.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
... but I do think sometimes the auctions become about "winning" and not about the item.
Hi Crissy, extensive research at our nation's top MBA schools have proven you correct. Bidders on E-bay often pay well over the market value, as they get caught up in the emotion of the auction. On near-new commodity-like consumer electronics items (think iPods and digital cameras) research shows that bidders often pay even more than they would pay for the item brand-new at a retail outlet.

And Ebay has recognized this-- hence their marketing campaigns targeted at "Winning" an object rather than "buying" it. They have some excellent Marketeers working for them no doubt.

Anyway, hang in there, and keep educating yourself. You'll find it eventually. At least I hope so, since I'm the same boat...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Just a side note...I really thought we would win b/c yesterday was my birthday! I was hoping for some luck or serendipity!
Well, Happy Birthday!

If you are relying on luck or seredipity or birthday wishes to get a good price on a trailer, eBay is not the place to do it. The exposure to potential buyers is so great that it's very unlikely that you will get a great deal unless you are buying a unit that has scared away most buyers or has an unusually low buy-it-now price.

Your best chance is to be prepared to pay $8000 to $12,000 for a nice restored unit.

IMO, looking back at that Tradewind, the buyer got a great deal at $9100. You could not buy an unrestored unit and get it to that condition for any where near that price.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
Another good source for you to check is Craigslist under rvs then search for Airstream. Thats how I found mine last month.
Rod
Air2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
You have mail.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2D2
Another good source for you to check is Craigslist under rvs then search for Airstream. Thats how I found mine last month.
Rod
Definitely a good idea. I would suggest searching ALL of Craigslist for the keyword "Airstream." On several occasions I've seen postings for Airstreams that were not in the RV section. I've occasionally seen them listed amongst items for sale at Garage Sales (without any corresponding listing under RVs), and I also once saw one listed under "Free Stuff." You might turn up some other items that don't apply, but who knows, you might find one for free!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
FYI I also found airstreams on craigslist by searching 2 words air stream!!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hang in there and don't be discouraged...your Airstream is out there waiting for you...and you will find it...the other one was not meant for you...something better is around the corner.

Let us know how the search goes...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote