Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The issue that you are all talking about came about recently. Andy made an announcement on 2-21 that said the portal page would now take you to the first unread post in that thread.
OK, well that explains it I guess.
Do you know why,? since there is already a button there to perform that function. Now, unless there is something else I haven't discovered there is no way to get to the first post in a thread with out working back page by page. Not real convenient.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I regret the loss of control I once had, with no real improvement or addition of functions that I can see. Rather a loss of a function I used to employ as I wished.
Must be something that is not apparent.
Sam

Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The issue that you are all talking about came about recently. Andy made an announcement on 2-21 that said the portal page would now take you to the first unread post in that thread.
This is the post. I found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I just wanted to let you know I made a change to the portal. When you click on any of the recent threads it will not jump you to the last post in that thread that you read. This should help you find the right spot in the discussion to start reading again.

Also, in the next week, I will be working on some other long over due projects. Look for more announcement in the days to come regarding these upgrades.
First of all I hope it has a typo otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Second of all, if this change seemed like a good idea. why not then make the button to the left of the title go to the first post instead of it just being redundant?

It is not that this is such a big deal that I can't work around. It is the fact that, as far as I can tell, it was not brought up to see if we wanted it first, tied with the fact that no one, who knows what other options might have been available, has addressed this thread. This is not the only thread on this issue. There were several posts on the "new software features - ask here thread" that were not addressed by anyone.

I am frustrated because it looks to me there is an option available so we could access the threads from the portal both ways. However the only person who apparently knows the answers and could either fix the problem, or explain why not, is inaccessible. In the last two weeks, I have sent 3 PMs to Andy R asking questions about how to do something on the forums and have received no replies at all.

Granted this forum is free unless we choose to donate, but I would like to feel that the users have some input on how it functions.

I have made a suggestion of a way to satisfy people who want it either way. Is it asking to much to have that responded to, even if it is no it can't or won't be done?

Regards,
Ken
Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'm still landing in seemingly random spots in a thread from the portal.

Sometimes I land in the first unread post - that's understandable.

But there are times when it lands me in the middle of a thread I've never viewed before. I just clicked on the 2010 Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta! thread for the first time and I landed on post #21. I can safely say I've never viewed that thread before....

This happens both at work and at home. Both places I'm using Firefox 3.6 and XP (work) and Vista (home).
Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
For most people this would be just a minor annoyance and could be remedied with a simple click. For me however, confined to a slow dial-up, it is time consuming. I can now make a cup of coffee while waiting to get back to the beginning of a thread that I have never seen before, especially when photos are involved. I am finding myself avoiding looking at threads if I had not gotten to them at the beginning.

To me this is definitely not an improvement, but simply the elimination of an option that folks like me have used effectively to complement their equipment and services.
I will not be leaving, but this will certainly limit my use of the forums and my participation.
Unless there was a monetary savings involved with this action I cannot see the reason behind the change. ?????????
Sam
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #20

Unhappy My head hurts

I have decided that I will feel better if I quit beating my head against the wall. This issue has been on two separate threads for more than a few days. As near as I can tell there has been no interest shown by anyone in a position to do anything. My suggested ways that it could be mitigated also have met with no response. The eBay links problem is going the same way.

I am going to start ignoring the things that are messing up and just work around them. It will be better for my frustration level.

Regards,
Ken
Old 03-09-2010, 01:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I'm surprised no more interest or comments on this recent change.

I would rather start at the beginning than just random even if I have opened the thread before.