Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #21
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
If a user has their security profiles set to delete cookies after log out, then indeed, it would be required to log in again. This is a personal choice and each member must decide what works best for their application.

To date, we have kept this limit at 1 hour for a several reasons including to keep the "who's on line" list at the bottom of the portal page fairly accurate and to reduce server load just a bit.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 09-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
If a user has their security profiles set to delete cookies after log out, then indeed, it would be required to log in again. This is a personal choice and each member must decide what works best for their application.

To date, we have kept this limit at 1 hour for a several reasons including to keep the "who's on line" list at the bottom of the portal page fairly accurate and to reduce server load just a bit.
Hi Janet,

Thanks for responding.

You will need to explain to me how forcing me off the system when I just log back in does anything to contribute to "reduce server load just a bit".

Well, OK it does reduce it for the minutes that I am off and do not log back in. But, all things being equal, that is a minimal amount of time. And my continually having to log back into the system puts more load on it than if I was just left on; not to mention the overhead of logging me off constantly.

As to the Who's Online List being a driving factor for the determination of this time frame I must say that I find that a reather unusual way to administrer something. Seems like setting the time frame so that it is something that allows people to work on their posts would be something that is a more realistic determinant.

I am pleading for the one hour time increment to be upped to something more realistic, like 4 hours.

For those who continue to post to this thread and do not understand why this is happening I offer the following paragraphs.

The problem is related to cookies that the forum software puts on your computer system, within your browser software. The manufacturer of your browser, the operating system on your computer or type of network you use (dial up, LAN, DSL, etc.) is of no relevance. It is the same for all.

Some of us prefer not to not have our user names and passwords compromised by software that steals cookies. As a result, we do not use the "Remember Me" cookie process and are reduced to having to put up with this irritating behavior.

When you click on "Remember Me" a cookie is placed into the software of your browser that includes your username and password for this web site. This is how you are "automagically" logged onto the system; and continually logged in when you have exceeded the one hour logout time. The same thing is happening to you but you do not "see" it.

Any/all help greatly appreciated...

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
Closed Thread